• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Multi caliber suppressor package

oneshot1only

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2008
Minnesota
Recommendations for a multi caliber package. No pistol, rifle only from 223 to 338. Bolt action and AR rifles. Want some input before I purchase. Thanks

Sorry I missed the 3. Don't need one for 22lr yet but the city is closing in and neighbors are nervous so I need to tone it down.

Recommendations for a multi caliber package. No pistol, rifle only from 223 to 338. Bolt action and AR rifles. Want some input before I purchase. Thanks
Thunderbeast is now taking pre-orders on the new expanded Magnus series... You can get a Magnus or Magnus-S .338 and that would be perfect for your needs. A TBAC .338 Ultra Gen2 is a bit of a monster to run on a .223 AR, and most of the bigger multi-caliber cans that will do like .46 caliber and smaller don't suppress worth a shit..."A jack of all trades, but master of none" type of deal. If I were in your shoes, I'd order a new Magnus .338 or a Magnus-S .338, if you want a shorter can for hunting and AR use.

Poster_2024_magnus.png

You might want to look at the Bushwhacker 36. No hands on yet, brother is waiting for his to be released from jail. What I do like about it is it is user serviceable as in you can take it apart for cleaning. It also offers several interface options including handguns.

What caliber in 338? If we're talking 338 WM then the hybrid cans can perform fairly well. If we're talking 338LM or larger, you definitely need a larger can.

The do it all cans are ok, but they don't really do anything well. Think of the Jack of all Trades, Master of None. Using the 338 Ultra or something similar will work well on the smaller calibers, it is just more than you need and in general terms the larger the suppressor the better it sounds.

In the end you will be happier with 2 suppressors.

I'll agree with the 2 cans. He needs a dedicated 5.56 can for the AR's, and one for everything else. My suggestion is an Otter Creek Labs Polonium 5.56 or Polonium K 5.56, and then a TBAC Magnus .338 or .338 Ultra Gen2.

Reactions: godofthunder
I currently have the Bushwhacker 46 and with the replaceable end caps makes changing gun to gun very quick and easy.
I want one. For several guns, but needs to fit under a 1.5" handguard, run .300 win Mag and .458 SOCOM. It's the only choice I hear.

A 1.5” ID handguard is pretty limiting. Many centerfire cans are >=1.5” OD…

Reactions: MO Fugga
A 1.5” ID handguard is pretty limiting. Many centerfire cans are >=1.5” OD…
Wanted to get a 6" 1:5 barrel for my blackout, and it has a JL Billet oversize handguard. Will likely need something different for that one.

Wanted to get a 6" 1:5 barrel for my blackout, and it has a JL Billet oversize handguard. Will likely need something different for that one.
This is one aspect where I really appreciate aero enhanced handguards. They are open enough to accept a 1.5” OD suppressor. Otherwise, I prefer a more slim handguard.

Reactions: MO Fugga
I would buy 2 cheaper suppressors before buying 1 do-it-all.

Odds are, you will end up buying more thane one regardless of your decision

Last edited:

I was looking for exactly the same thing. First can purchase, for me.

I ordered a TBAC 338 Ultra Gen2. Should arrive at my FFL in the next day or so.

My dealer will bring it to a range and let me shoot it while it is still in ATF jail. I think he's even got a TBAC muzzle brake he'll loan me to put on my 223, so I can try the TBAC can without buying a BA brake for it that I (might) end up not using.

I'm going to try it like that on my different rifles. If I don't like it on my 223s, then I will order another can for those. They'll be a few weeks behind the 338 in their ATF jail sentence, but that's no big deal to me. If I had to wait until the first can got out of jail to even try it and see how I like it on 223, that would be different.

My dealer will bring it to a range and let me shoot it while it is still in ATF jail. I think he's even got a TBAC muzzle brake he'll loan me to put on my 223, so I can try the TBAC can without buying a BA brake for it that I (might) end up not using.

I'm going to try it like that on my different rifles. If I don't like it on my 223s, then I will order another can for those. They'll be a few weeks behind the 338 in their ATF jail sentence, but that's no big deal to me. If I had to wait until the first can got out of jail to even try it and see how I like it on 223, that would be different.
You will definitely want a 5.56 can

Reactions: FuhQ and StuartV
I'd buy suppressors designed to fulfill specific function. I've got specific lightweight hunting suppressors, PRS competition suppressors, magnum suppressors, 22lr suppressor. I plan on buying a flow through suppressor for my AR.

You will definitely want a 5.56 can

Is that because of the size of the 338 Ultra can?

Looking at TBAC info, one, it looks like the 338 Ultra and the Magnus are the quietest cans they have for shooting 5.56. And, two, TBAC doesn't appear to even make a 5.56-specific can.

It's my first can, so what do I know? But, I pretty much only shoot my 223s from a bench with a bipod (or 2-gun/3-gun), so I was thinking the size wouldn't really bother me. For 2-gun/3-gun, I wouldn't be running a can anyway (I don't think? I've not shot those matches a lot, but I have not seen anybody running a can at all).

Reactions: Bluedog82
Is that because of the size of the 338 Ultra can?

Looking at TBAC info, one, it looks like the 338 Ultra and the Magnus are the quietest cans they have for shooting 5.56. And, two, TBAC doesn't appear to even make a 5.56-specific can.

It's my first can, so what do I know? But, I pretty much only shoot my 223s from a bench with a bipod (or 2-gun/3-gun), so I was thinking the size wouldn't really bother me. For 2-gun/3-gun, I wouldn't be running a can anyway (I don't think? I've not shot those matches a lot, but I have not seen anybody running a can at all).
If you’re only bench shooting it will be fine. You’re right, most people don’t use cans in competitions. But, if you have any interest in using it for self defense or in a class, you’ll probably want a shorter can.

Reactions: StuartV

Take a look at the Otter Creek Labs Polonium 5.56 for a deisgnated .223 can.

Take a look at the Otter Creek Labs Polonium 5.56 for a deisgnated .223 can.

Thanks. I've seen posts about it. But, I'm trying not to get ahead of myself.

Also, once I'm setup for the TBAC 338 Ultra, getting an Ultra 5 or 7, for 6.5C would let me screw it right on... At least, if I go with the 223CB brake.

The Ultra 5 or 7 would be lighter than the Polonium and about the same size. Would the Polonium be quieter?

Thanks. I've seen posts about it. But, I'm trying not to get ahead of myself.

Also, once I'm setup for the TBAC 338 Ultra, getting an Ultra 5 or 7, for 6.5C would let me screw it right on... At least, if I go with the 223CB brake.

The Ultra 5 or 7 would be lighter than the Polonium and about the same size. Would the Polonium be quieter?
The Polonium is a smaller bore diameter than the .30 caliber Ultra's, so yes, I'd say it's definitely quieter than the U5, and possibly quieter than the U7.

You could always just get an Otter Creek Hydrogen-S 6.5mm, and you can use it on everything 6.5mm and down, and still be super quiet. I have one of these, and the 6.5mm bore Hydrogen-S (7" can) is as quiet as the .30 caliber Hydrogen-L (9" can). So, it does make a noticeable difference in performance.

If you plan on only running it on bolt-actions, then I change my recommendation to the Hydrogen-S 6.5mm. And if you plan on running it on AR's, then I'd opt for the Polonium 5.56.

The Polonium is a smaller bore diameter than the .30 caliber Ultra's, so yes, I'd say it's definitely quieter than the U5, and possibly quieter than the U7.

But, TBAC has the U5 and U7 in a 6.5 option, and they say the U7-6.5 is quieter with 5.56 than the previous 223 Ultra 7 was.

So, would you still think the Polonium 5.56 is quieter?

But, TBAC has the U5 and U7 in a 6.5 option, and they say the U7-6.5 is quieter with 5.56 than the previous 223 Ultra 7 was.

Don't know... You'd have to ask the guys at TBAC. They have done some independent testing, but I have not seen any numbers comparing a 6.5mm Ultra can versus the Polonium 5.56. I am curious though...

If you think you might be wearing ear protection while shooting, absolute dB numbers generally take a back seat to size and weight considerations.

If, however, you are raw-dogging your ears at the range, by all means get the quietest suppressor possible.

If you think you might be wearing ear protection while shooting, absolute dB numbers generally take a back seat to size and weight considerations.

If, however, you are raw-dogging your ears at the range, by all means get the quietest suppressor possible.

Thank you for that! I never really thought of it in just that way. I'll always be wearing ear pro at the range, so I really shouldn't care about having the ABSOLUTE QUIETEST can for that. Not sure I would have done anything different on my purchase, but maybe. I might have gone for something smaller/lighter than the 338 Ultra, maybe, as long as it would still work on 8.6BO. Too late now, though.

But, it is an excellent point for the future. In particular, I take it as a vote for buying a 30 cal can, even if I'm buying it to use on a 223. E.g. an Ultra 7-30, instead of an Ultra 7-6.5. It might not be as quiet as a U7-6.5 or a Polonium, but it will be a lot smaller and lighter than the 338 Ultra and it will still make a 223 a lot quieter (quiet enough?).

Of course, that is today's thought. I'll probably have 752 new and better plans between now and when I actually buy another suppressor. lol! :D