• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Multi-caliber Suppressor?

Altnews

Minuteman
Oct 9, 2010
Boulder, CO
I'm wondering if one could make a suppressor designed to accommodate different calibers and have it designated "multi-caliber" on the tube? One can certainly use one suppressor on a smaller-caliber weapon without violating the NFA, so the next logical step is for a design that actually allows one to change the caliber without "making" a new suppressor. Here's my reasoning:

NFA rules prohibit one from changing the caliber of the suppressor as it was approved by the NFA Branch and as it is marked on the tube by (for example) boring out the baffle stack to a larger diameter. But what if the tube is marked either "multi-caliber" or it's marked with an actual list of calibers it's designed for, like "Calibers .22, .32, .357, .38, .40, .45, .50"? Would this allow the manufacturer to ship the suppressor with one tube (the serialized part) and several baffle stacks/end-caps that would make it usable with a variety of weapons? Since any part of a suppressor is an NFA part, and therefor all parts shipped with the approved and stamped suppressor constitute the entire suppressor, would this method be considered "adapting" the suppressor to a particular gun (as in using different buffers or attachment devices) or would it be "making" a new suppressor? I think perhaps not if all the requisite baffle stacks and parts are included in the kit, but I'd be interested to hear other opinions on it, and perhaps something from the NFA branch. It would be, after all, only one suppressor with one tube, and the changing of baffle stacks that have already been approved shouldn't be a "making" of a new suppressor.

Which brings up another question: Is it allowable for a manufacturer to sell a suppressor with a supply of spare parts so that the user can replace them without having to go through the NFA paperwork again?

The BATFE FAQ on suppressors says "Persons other than qualified manufacturers may repair silencers, but replacement parts are “silencers” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) that must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA."

So can a supply of "replacement parts" be made part of the original suppressor sale and NFA approval process? And how does one "register" an unmarked baffle stack or end-cap? Do they require their own individual serial numbers and other information in order to be properly registered? If that's the case, could one make (hypothetically) a set of five baffle stacks with integral end-caps in differing calibers, all with the same serial number as the tube and lawfully have them as a single NFA registered item?

Multi-caliber Suppressor?

I thought all suppressors were muli-caliber.

....Oh how journalists over-think problems that don't even exist.

Last edited:
As I understand it.. the tube is the part with the SN on it making the tube the suppressor in the eyes of the ATF.. Just like a lower receiver on a AR is the "gun" as far as the ATF is concerned. there are plenty of Suppressors (mostly .22) that you can take a part for cleaning and the parts dont have SN on them.. You can send a suppressor back to your manufacturer and they can "repair" it and you dont have to file a Form 4 again as long as the tube is still the same..

Why not buy a 30cal can to accommodate 30cal and under and a larger caliber to accommodate your upper limit down as well? And as someone said above, if the idea makes sense, it must be illegal in the eyes of the feds!

I shoot a .338 suppressor on a Lapua mag, a .300 win mag and a .308 Works like a charm on all three calibers.

I shoot a .338 suppressor on a Lapua mag, a .300 win mag and a .308 Works like a charm on all three calibers.

I have found the same thing with my Thunder Beast 338BA. In fact, my 338BA is quieter on my .260 than my 30BA.

Let's say you have a .30 (7.62) caliber suppressor tube and wanted to shoot it on a .260 (6.5). If you were able to open up the can and swap out the baffle stack for another with a smaller bore, I don't know if you would see that much of a difference in sound suppression. If there was, I would have to believe that companies like Thunder Beast, Shark, DTA, Elite Iron, and many others would be offering a 6.5 or 6.8 caliber suppressor.

^^^^^ As RMW says. I plan to use my TBAC 30 BA suppressor on my 260. If you research this, you'll find good suppression with minimal repeatable POI shift. Can use this on any smaller calibers as long as their is a compatible break to attach it to. Apparantly the OP was unaware of this. No need to mess with internals to make the suppressor bore match the caliber exactly.