• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Multi purpose Binoculars

blacklab1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2018
I did a search but didn’t really see an answer to my question. I have a pair of Leupold Pro Guide 10x42 binoculars that I’ve seem to have outgrown. I’m looking for a good pair that:
1- Is small and light enough to pack in while elk hunting
2- Can attach to my tripod
3- Will work well for PRS and MARS matches (I currently only shoot out to 700 yards, maybe farther in the future)
4- Fall in the $1600ish price range.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Used pair of Swaro SLC 15x56. Might have to stretch to $1850 or so though.

You will need to use them on the tripod for any prolonged glassing. But they will be the best all around tripod glass in a bino you can get without spending $2800 for NL Pure binos.

Keep your Leupold 10x for glassing by hand.

Sounds like ole Dave hasnt humped many steep miles in the mtns on elk hunts.

I run 10x42 for elk and mtn hinting.
They do work for most match spotting to 6-700 yds.
Would also look at the 8.5x42 if that might work for you.

15x is great for match spotting and you wont catch a pair of those 15x SLCs in my bino harness for elk season (or pack)
That gets the above mentioned and a spotter if open country.

If you want a bit more magnification (and can handle the weight), you can get used pairs of Meopta Meostars in 12x or 15x in your price range. Or 15x Zeiss Conquest HD's.

Pro Guide 10x42 are really good glass and edge to edge clarity. You’re asking for the impossible. Elk and PRS are two different animals as others have pointed out. Frankly, 10-12x (tops) in a harness is different from a 15x on a tripod. Realistically, elk hunting, you’re often on the move a lot. That being said, I’ve sat in unit 42 Mesa, CO glassing from a ground bunker 5-800 yards across King Gulch so…. You gotta pick one for the occasion.

Also, will add these are great if you need a small, “pocket” bino

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
I've been reading a lot of binocular reviews lately and the Steiner HX line would be well under your budget and have many excellent (and recent) reviews. Might be worth checking out. Best of luck.

-LD

I have some monarch 5 16x, and meopta meopro and leupold bx4 10x42 and some others. I use the 16x on my tripod mostly. Any combination of those would come in under budget. There are some other as I call them "big eye balls" when referring to my higher mag binoculars that could be had in the budget with some decent 10x binoculars.

My buddy has swaros. I have sig zulu 6, Leupold bx-4, and Zeiss all in 10x42.

I can't find an excuse to spend swaro money. By the time they become maybe a bit better, I'm pulling out the bx-4 spotter.

There's only so much you can do with glass. Atmospheric conditions and light are going to determine picture once you've spent $500+. This is where the swaros do a little better is about 5 minutes a day.

Thanks for everyone’s input. @db2000 said that elk hunting and PRS are two totally different games and I don’t disagree but, since I’m not very good at either one I was hoping to get something that was just OK for both, but it sounds like that’s not the the best way to go. I think what I’ll probably do is keep the Leupold’s for the hunting end (I’m well past the 50 mark so every ounce counts) and save for a few more months and get a nice set for PRS.

Check out Kowa Genesis Prominar Series. You will not be disappointed. Check with Doug at Cameraland for Sniperhide pricing.
I have a pair and they're great, not the lightest but good glass.

Thanks for everyone’s input. @db2000 said that elk hunting and PRS are two totally different games and I don’t disagree but, since I’m not very good at either one I was hoping to get something that was just OK for both, but it sounds like that’s not the the best way to go. I think what I’ll probably do is keep the Leupold’s for the hunting end (I’m well past the 50 mark so every ounce counts) and save for a few more months and get a nice set for PRS.
I would think some 10x42 with reticle like the leupold bx-t would be OK for both.