• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Multi-purpose platform - DTA?

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Okay, I want some thoughts on this.

I have a .300NM that I love, I just don't get to shoot it much and really stretch it out where I live. I love the cartridge, would love to have a barrel in that cartridge, but with how limited it gets shot I'm unsure if having a dedicated rifle for it makes much sense.

I'm also getting into hunting. Don't currently have the funds to build a dedicated hunting rifle (not to my spoiled standards), so I've compromised and purchased an 18" 3B contour barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. For hunting, I will place that Mausingfield barreled action into a KRG Bravo to save weight. Not a perfect scenario, but can't build up a dedicated rifle so it will do for now.

This has me thinking - why not consolidate the two rifles that don't get used as much as my other rifles? The only platform that I'm aware of that could do this and still maintain *somewhat* of a reasonable weight for hunting is the DTA. It's been a while since I've handled a DTA, but I didn't mind it (didn't shoot it though). The ergos are quirky with the bullpup, and I know the mags aren't the best. But this solution allows me to turn two rifles into one, which makes sense given my economic situation.

Would love to hear thoughts from the crowd on this. The DTA system seems to have lots of detractors, and a small and very loyal fan base. There's lots of nuances to it, people love it or hate it.

Is my idea a good one, or is it stupid?

Pic of current .300NM:

IMG_20180725_075949-01.jpeg

It's the same idea that I had but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I will say that it didn't make a whole lot of economic sense to me, especially if I was doing it the way you are thinking about. For the cost of a dedicated hunting barrel kit for a DTA, I can buy a hunting rifle that would be good enough for my hunting needs. Big game are big targets after all. I plan to buy a 1903A4, since I want one anyway, and that will be my main hunting rifle. It should be accurate enough. Are there any other rifles you could consolidate into this package?

Reactions: kthomas
If I went this route, I would keep my other rifles.

I have a TacOps X-ray 51 that's never leaving the stable, and a Mausingfield in a JAE that has (x2) 6.5 Creedmoor barrels and a 6BRA barrel.

I guess the idea is to have 2 premium rifles in one, topped with a premium scope. Selling/trading my current .300NM and the two barrels I have for it should get me a DTA and two barrels, or close to it.

Im a big fan of the DTA for precision work. Kinda clunky otherwise, and quite heavy. I have an A1, perhaps the A2 has a worthwhile weight savings. The return to zero and easy packing/transport is a plus for sure.

I also think hunting is a fairly low bar. You just dont need gucci to do it. Have some self respect and dont buy a savage, but you dont have to spend much to be in the game.

why not single feed the 300NM from a short action Mausingfield?
Already have too many barrels for my Mausingfield. It's not an ideal switch barrel setup, as it requires a vice, action wrench, etc. I don't mind having a couple of different barrels for it, but I don't want all my barrels/rifles consolidated to one individual rifle/platform.

I'm also not convinced running a .300NM from a short action is a good idea. Don't even know if a short action bolt for a Mausingfield with a Lapua bolt face even exists.

Already have too many barrels for my Mausingfield. It's not an ideal switch barrel setup, as it requires a vice, action wrench, etc. I don't mind having a couple of different barrels for it, but I don't want all my barrels/rifles consolidated to one individual rifle/platform.

I'm also not convinced running a .300NM from a short action is a good idea. Don't even know if a short action bolt for a Mausingfield with a Lapua bolt face even exists.
time to get another Mausingfield then

pretty sure bolthead/extractor are identical from SA/LA? there's no length option when ordering just a bolthead/extractor

time to get another Mausingfield then

pretty sure bolthead/extractor are identical from SA/LA? there's no length option when ordering just a bolthead/extractor

In an ideal world, I would buy another SA Mausingfield and make a dedicated hunting rifle out of it, moving my current 6.5 cm hunting barrel over to it.

Hangup is the cost of additional action + scope + trigger + scope rings, etc. Just something that I can't afford right now.

And perhaps you are right on the bolt. Never really put much thought into SA vs LA bolts. I just assumed that bolts for LA actions would have to be slightly longer, but I certainly could be wrong on that.

And perhaps you are right on the bolt. Never really put much thought into SA vs LA bolts. I just assumed that bolts for LA actions would have to be slightly longer, but I certainly could be wrong on that.
The bolt body is. The separate bolt head isnt.

That said youve had that mausingfield for a long time so maybe the new versions arent compatible that far back.

I have little to offer to this thread other than the idea that I really prefer dedicated platforms and equipment.

I've found quality equipment that isn't top tier but specialized beats "flexible multi use"

I have little to offer to this thread other than the idea that I really prefer dedicated platforms and equipment.

I've found quality equipment that isn't top tier but specialized beats "flexible multi use"

I'm usually a fan and advocate of dedicated platforms as well.

Unfortunately right now my bank account struggles with the idea of many dedicated platforms.

I have a DTA with multiple barrels and I like it a lot but it's kinda like a jack of all trades master of none... I usually end up grabbing a purpose built rifle for most shooting over my DTA. Having said that I idk if I'd sell it because of it's versatility.

Reactions: st1650 and kthomas
You already have an action that will do everything you want. Buy a lighter stock, bolt head, other accoutrements to assemble a hunting Lego set.

You already have an action that will do everything you want. Buy a lighter stock, bolt head, other accoutrements to assemble a hunting Lego set.

I actually already have this.

I have a light 6.5 Creedmoor hunting barrel for my Mausingfield, and will be dropping this BA into a KRG Bravo for this hunting season.

Reactions: The D
I had the same plans when I bought my desert tech. Use it for everything and swap parts as needed. They were all incredibly accurate. Bolt was clunky and lift sucked. And it was heavy for a my kind of hunting gun.
Long story short I sold all my desert techs and switched to dedicated rifles. For an occasional hunting rifle, get a cheap gun with a decent scope and have at it. Grandpappy was putting meat on the table with an open sight 30-30. I'm sure you can do it with a Bergara/Tikka/Howa and a sub $600 scope. Total setup will be lighter and cheaper than chambering new barrel and stock for Mausingfield and will be just as effective as putting down game.

If you do get a DTA I'd look for a used accessorized A1 over a A2 unless that little bit of weight is super important. The trigger on my A1 is excellent and I haven't heard great things about the A2 trigger in comparison.

I had the same plans when I bought my desert tech. Use it for everything and swap parts as needed. They were all incredibly accurate. Bolt was clunky and lift sucked. And it was heavy for a my kind of hunting gun.
Long story short I sold all my desert techs and switched to dedicated rifles. For an occasional hunting rifle, get a cheap gun with a decent scope and have at it. Grandpappy was putting meat on the table with an open sight 30-30. I'm sure you can do it with a Bergara/Tikka/Howa and a sub $600 scope. Total setup will be lighter and cheaper than chambering new barrel and stock for Mausingfield and will be just as effective as putting down game.

Yeah I wouldn't be too stoked about a heavy bolt lift. I believe you are the second person in this thread to make that comment.

Yeah I wouldn't be too stoked about a heavy bolt lift. I believe you are the second person in this thread to make that comment.
It is heavier than custom actions with 90 degree bolts but it's comparable to other 60 degree bolt throws(AI and M2013 mostly). If you aren't shooting competitively with it I doubt it would bother you at all.

Okay, gotcha. Appreciate the context.

IF I was to go this route, it would be my multi-purpose rifle that performs roles that aren't as frequently needed as my dedicated rifles. If it isn't as "smooth" or refined as my dedicated rifles, I'm okay with that.

What are you hunting and where?

For >50lb sized game, I’d hunt with anything I have outside of 22LRs

Most of my deer have been inside of 100yrds, probably could have taken most them with a 9mm with good sights 😂

But for most stuff, as much as I hate fuds, if it will hit a paper plate in your realistic range and can put 1,000lbs of energy on target it’s fine, longest shot I took was a deer at a hair over 200yrds, 223 wylde AR easy neck shot, dropped like a sack of potatos.

I get putting thought into a competition rifle, but seems people put tons of thought into hunting rigs, outside of taking mountain goats from a climbing rig beyond 500yrds and having to hike miles in and & out, in rain, uphill both ways, or africa big game 🤷‍♂️

I had an A1 years ago and even used it in my 2 first PRS matches ever. Not a great or even a good gun for those purposes mostly due to mags and other stuff. Accurate as all hell. I had 6.5, 308, 300WM, 223 barrels for it. Loved it. Took it hunting. I eventually sold it because I dove head first into comps and built a gun for that. I’ve since been so so very close to pulling the trigger on the new A2 with a either a 6.5 PRC or 300NM and 6.5 CM barrel setup to run for the NRLH series and the PRC/NM setup for NF ELR match. That way I could remain competitive caliber wise in both those shooting events, but neither is do demanding you need an actual match action/chassis setup for.
What I mean to say is, the NF match is a prone match so mags/ergos of the DTA won’t hinder you, but like you outside that match once a year I have no reason to have a full blown dedicated 300NM or 6.5 PRC setup. I can strap a bunch or mlok weights to it with a heavy ass barrel for that match. Then strip with weights, and get a lighter 6.5CM barrel for the NRLH series because a lot of that can be shot from a tripod or prone. There aren’t really and barricades or props to shoot off of and both events give you plenty of time to complete the Cof at each stage.

I do think it’s actually a good idea. Especially since you already have a JAE setup you could run in matches. And the A2 can actually get decently light for hunting use with the right parts. I hunt out west so that’s the perspective I have.

What are you hunting and where?

For >50lb sized game, I’d hunt with anything I have outside of 22LRs

Most of my deer have been inside of 100yrds, probably could have taken most them with a 9mm with good sights 😂

But for most stuff, as much as I hate fuds, if it will hit a paper plate in your realistic range and can put 1,000lbs of energy on target it’s fine, longest shot I took was a deer at a hair over 200yrds, 223 wylde AR easy neck shot, dropped like a sack of potatos.

I get putting thought into a competition rifle, but seems people put tons of thought into hunting rigs, outside of taking mountain goats from a climbing rig beyond 500yrds and having to hike miles in and & out, in rain, uphill both ways, or africa big game 🤷‍♂️
Just deer here in AZ.

Will hunt them with a 6.5 Creedmoor, as I have lots of ammo, and reloading components and gear in that cartridge.

Just deer here in AZ.

Will hunt them with a 6.5 Creedmoor, as I have lots of ammo, and reloading components and gear in that cartridge.

Frankly a PSA AR10 with a low end vortex LPVO would be more than capable

Don’t open sight 30-30s still have the record for deer kills?

Think you’re over thinking it. Whatever you have that will put 1k lbs on target will work more than fine

Frankly a PSA AR10 with a low end vortex LPVO would be more than capable

Don’t open sight 30-30s still have the record for deer kills?

Think you’re over thinking it. Whatever you have that will put 1k lbs on target will work more than fine
I'm most definitely overthinking it. That's my engineering brain for you :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: TurboTrout
I'm most definitely overthinking it. That's my engineering brain for you :ROFLMAO:

I’d put that brain to use with your butchering game.

I think being able to properly process the game is where folks ether lack or outsource, killing deer ain’t too hard

I’d put that brain to use with your butchering game.

I think being able to properly process the game is where folks ether lack or outsource, killing deer ain’t too hard
Good point.

And it's not so much that I think I "need" a DTA for hunting - not even close. I just see this as a chance to consolidate two rifles that don't get used very often into one.

Nothing I'm going to pull the trigger on any time soon, so I'll have plenty of time to stew on it.

I have a light 6.5 Creedmoor hunting barrel for my Mausingfield, and will be dropping this BA into a KRG Bravo for this hunting season.
To me this is the answer. Especially if you can check zero without much hassle. Even then though it should be close enough to hunt with.

I’m obviously reading this all wrong. The 300NM is a different action? Is that a Mausingfield also? I’m a fan of the Mausingfield and bolt gun Legos in general, and I like tinkering with stuff, so I’d be staying with that setup if this were my predicament. You could check how much it would cost to make a quicker switch-barrel system so you don’t need so many clunky tools to do it. I’d recommend the ARC barloc but they stopped selling them several months ago, unfortunately.

Stick with a short action Mausingfield and single feed the big shit through it like has been suggested. Sell any long action stuff and use that $$ to buy all the bolt gun Legos you need to build whatever you want for the task at hand.

But also, if you have an itch for a DTA then nobody will give you too much shit for switching to that platform

Good point.

And it's not so much that I think I "need" a DTA for hunting - not even close. I just see this as a chance to consolidate two rifles that don't get used very often into one.

Nothing I'm going to pull the trigger on any time soon, so I'll have plenty of time to stew on it.

For sure, I’d wager most everyone here has a few guns more than legal and capable of harvesting deer

Id spend that $$ on the post shooting the deer game, at least that was my experience

I paid a dude to process my deer for the first few times out, he had some cheap shitty bolt 223, like a Walmart package deal, yet filled his tags just the same but could make quick work getting the deer into the freezer chests, my room full of rifles are tons more than his one rifle, but seeing him make quick work of butchering the animal put shit into perspective.

Being a gun guy vs a hunting guy is a little different, interesting what crosses over and what doesn’t.

I’m obviously reading this all wrong. The 300NM is a different action? Is that a Mausingfield also? I’m a fan of the Mausingfield and bolt gun Legos in general, and I like tinkering with stuff, so I’d be staying with that setup if this were my predicament. You could check how much it would cost to make a quicker switch-barrel system so you don’t need so many clunky tools to do it. I’d recommend the ARC barloc but they stopped selling them several months ago, unfortunately.

Stick with a short action Mausingfield and single feed the big shit through it like has been suggested. Sell any long action stuff and use that $$ to buy all the bolt gun Legos you need to build whatever you want for the task at hand.

But also, if you have an itch for a DTA then nobody will give you too much shit for switching to that platform
The Mausingfield is my PRS/SA range rifle. I have 3 barrels currently for it: 6BRA, 24" MTU 6.5 Creedmoor, and an 18" 3B 6.5 Contour for hunting (the rifle gets dropped into a KRG Bravo for the latter).

My .300NM is a dedicated rifle. It's a Defiance Deviant, that's polished and DLC'ed. Sits in a JAE chassis.

this is what I'm doing with a 30SM for NF ELR. short action Origin in a Henderson HRP

then the rest of the year its a 6Dasher/7SAW for PRS/NRLH in the HRP or a HNT26

hunting season it'll get a carbon/heavily fluted 7SS in the HNT26

i'd like to some day get around to a lapua boltface 338/375 short action wildcat. sherman style

it helps i have 2 SA origins. one in 223 for the GF and the other is mine and rotates, but i can disassemble either easily depending on schedule of matches/hunting

Reactions: The D and kthomas
To me this is the answer. Especially if you can check zero without much hassle. Even then though it should be close enough to hunt with.
It's the route I'm going with this hunting season at least, and maybe into perpetuity.

Still waiting on the KRG Bravo, so I'm not sure how much difference there will be between zeros with the rifle in the KRG vs the JAE.

This is certainly the easiest option, as it's the route I'm already going down. And I think it is going to be good enough for what I'm doing with it.

The Mausingfield is my PRS/SA range rifle. I have 3 barrels currently for it: 6BRA, 24" MTU 6.5 Creedmoor, and an 18" 3B 6.5 Contour for hunting (the rifle gets dropped into a KRG Bravo for the latter).

My .300NM is a dedicated rifle. It's a Defiance Deviant, that's polished and DLC'ed. Sits in a JAE chassis.
Gotcha. If your heart says consolidate, then go with the DTA.

I’d still be sticking with the current setups. Like I said, I’m a fan of tinkering.

Gotcha. If your heart says consolidate, then go with the DTA.

I’d still be sticking with the current setups. Like I said, I’m a fan of tinkering.
I like tinkering too. Maybe that's why I'm toying with the idea of getting something new to play with :ROFLMAO:

Appreciate all the thoughts so far. This season I'm going to hunt with the Mausingfield + Bravo combo, and I'll have a better idea from there where I want to go and if I want to consolidate.

Another option is to just get rid of the .300NM that rarely gets shot, and just get a SA 7mm barrel for longer range fun.

So many options, just little time and money...

Reactions: The D and b6graham
It's the route I'm going with this hunting season at least, and maybe into perpetuity.

Still waiting on the KRG Bravo, so I'm not sure how much difference there will be between zeros with the rifle in the KRG vs the JAE.

This is certainly the easiest option, as it's the route I'm already going down. And I think it is going to be good enough for what I'm doing with it.
This is basically what I do for my hunting rifle so I dont have so much tied up in a gun that rarely gets used. I switch back and forth between a 223 and a 6.5x47. Pull all the weights off for when I'm hunting. I use a Rzr LHT 4.5-22 which works well for both roles. The bravo is quite good for a hunting chassis. I would still love for it to be 2 dedicated rifles with the 6.5 in an AG Comp but I don't have the funds right now to build a whole other gun.

I like tinkering too. Maybe that's why I'm toying with the idea of getting something new to play with :ROFLMAO:

Appreciate all the thoughts so far. This season I'm going to hunt with the Mausingfield + Bravo combo, and I'll have a better idea from there where I want to go and if I want to consolidate.

Another option is to just get rid of the .300NM that rarely gets shot, and just get a SA 7mm barrel for longer range fun.

So many options, just little time and money...
How easy is it to swap bolt faces on the Defiance? The Mausingfield could be the sa standard and sa magnum rifle. The Defiance could be the magnum and large magnum rifle, maybe throw in some long action standard options.

How easy is it to swap bolt faces on the Defiance? The Mausingfield could be the sa standard and sa magnum rifle. The Defiance could be the magnum and large magnum rifle, maybe throw in some long action standard options.
it's a whole bolt. not a bolthead like a mausingfield

Here is a thought, Terminus Zeus long action (quick change) Krg Bravo stock. The .300nm barrel would probably need to be full thread. And a 6.5 Creed barrel in quick change. Ithink you can run short action rounds in a long action…kinda like the M24…if not go for my old man’s favorite the .270 win. Hope you find this suggestion helpful.

Here is a thought, Terminus Zeus long action (quick change) Krg Bravo stock. The .300nm barrel would probably need to be full thread. And a 6.5 Creed barrel in quick change. Ithink you can run short action rounds in a long action…kinda like the M24…if not go for my old man’s favorite the .270 win. Hope you find this suggestion helpful.
Yes. DT like AI is heavy but accurate AF

I have a terminus 223 and a 700 65 in bravos for lighter weight options.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
AI undoubtedly makes a great rifle. Very heavy though, especially for a hunting rifle.
Keep your current rifles though and you can put them into an aics. A sage green aics with matching Mausingfield is my dream rifle, by the way. Just so my biases are clear…

I use my DT A2 covert for that very thing! The covert is nice to get short barrels and “light” for hunting and plinking… but then can still support whatever length barrel for long range.

It’s very accurate but more importantly repeatable shift from barrel to barrel that is easily recorded.

It has its quirks sure, but the versatility of it is pretty sweet when a 16” bolt gun is shorter than a fully collapsed 10.5” SBR. Then toss in a 28” 300prc and go long with a quick swap and scope adjustment.

Attachments

• D24F3535-55F1-43E3-8E58-6A8B32ECCAAF.jpeg
    D24F3535-55F1-43E3-8E58-6A8B32ECCAAF.jpeg
    842.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 92C16C41-BEC7-4DF4-8A47-6E425BA4A914.jpeg
    92C16C41-BEC7-4DF4-8A47-6E425BA4A914.jpeg
    975.8 KB · Views: 97
I have the DTA with 6.5c, 308, 300wm barrels. They all shoot bug holes at 200yrds.
I also have dedicated of each of those calibers. DTA gets used the most because of versatility, accuracy and ease of use.

Last edited:
I went with the DT A1 when they first came out and never regreted it. It has a S&B 5-45 that was very pricey, but I only need one, and I love it. One weapon system to learn, one scope to buy, an extremely good trigger. Multiple barrels now. Short OAL, weight centered close to your body so off hand shooting is great compared to traditional precision rifles. Even the mags are actually quite good in my experience, especially for my 338LM with 300gr Bergers and a COAL of 3.9375" in the factory 4.00" mags (longer than AI's if not as nice)
I like the A1 because I believe it is a bit stronger, but the A2 is lighter, put CF barrels on it and it should be quite nice. You can also put an A1 trigger in it if the A2 doesn't work for you. The DT platform is accurate, and the barrel changes are easy and repeatable. I love mine!

Keep your current rifles though and you can put them into an aics. A sage green aics with matching Mausingfield is my dream rifle, by the way. Just so my biases are clear…

Don't worry, I'm never getting rid of the Mausingfield! That rifle is staying in the stable.

I went with the DT A1 when they first came out and never regreted it. It has a S&B 5-45 that was very pricey, but I only need one, and I love it. One weapon system to learn, one scope to buy, an extremely good trigger. Multiple barrels now. Short OAL, weight centered close to your body so off hand shooting is great compared to traditional precision rifles. Even the mags are actually quite good in my experience, especially for my 338LM with 300gr Bergers and a COAL of 3.9375" in the factory 4.00" mags (longer than AI's if not as nice)
I like the A1 because I believe it is a bit stronger, but the A2 is lighter, put CF barrels on it and it should be quite nice. You can also put an A1 trigger in it if the A2 doesn't work for you. The DT platform is accurate, and the barrel changes are easy and repeatable. I love mine!
Interesting, didn't know you could put an A1 trigger in the A2.

I've heard mixed things about the A2. It seems some like the A1 better. Though there is some nice features of the A2.

If I do decide to go DTA, I'm torn on which version to get.