• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Multicam Paint Job-Duracoat

sgtbutt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Cheyenne, WY
Hello everyone! Well over the last year and half or so I have been thinking about doing my wife’s M1A stock with a MultiCam-esque paint job. Over my deployment I spent countless hours on the Hide and net in general looking up people’s camo jobs. I saw plenty of Rattle Can jobs but I got turned off on Krylon after my shoty’s Krylon camo job was ruined by some water damage (whole other story). Now don’t get me wrong, Krylon absolutely has its place, just not for me. I looked into other finishes and decided to get into DuraCoat due to durability and not needing to heat cure it. Well I found a thread on calguns with an awesome write up by Chunger. That individual thread is http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=71788 in case anyone wants to check it out. I used this as my reference and color choice due to the thoroughness of the post. Chunger needs to be given due credit for his write up since I never would have done this. This post of mine is just my own process and a few tricks and tips I found out.
So now that you have some background onto my own endeavor. I purchased a few colors (Coyote Brown, Magpul FDE, Woodland Brown and Aug Green) for redoing my shotgun finish and just to check out DuraCoat first. After doing my shotgun and one of M4s I decided to take the plunge onto something harder. I bought the remaining colors that I needed; Desert Mirage Tan, Desert Mirage Mint and Urban Mirage White.
Since I was going to be doing my wife’s stock I figured that I would do my old stock and a set of M4 furniture for grins and giggles. I have my M1A installed in an EBR chassis so I didn’t mind doing mine. Once I started with the tan base coat I went ahead and did two of my wife’s Thermold Mags.
I did not do my wife’s rifle in this because I was a bit scared and thought that since the stock will be in MultiCam I could do the rifle and scope in one color (to be decided but most likely Coyote Brown). Here’s a pic of the 2 M1A stocks along with wife’s rifle prior to doing anything with.
102_4814.jpg

To start out with I started using Synthetic Safe Gun Scrubber to degrease. I tested this on the stock in a very small portion and I was getting a little bit of the black textured finish to rub off so I nixed that idea. Instead I used denatured alcohol as best as I could. Other than the oils from hands these stocks were not dirty and the alcohol did the job well.
Once the parts were degreased I set the parts up in my makeshift paint booth. My paint booth is several clothes hangers suspended from hooks in my garage with 550 cord strung between them. This worked well but has its draw backs. I had to make sure there was enough space from part to part to ensure that moving around wasn’t going to allow the parts to hit. If you do a paint job I would suggest stringing parts up as individually as possible, but adapt and overcome right? (Quick side note, the garage is messy, don’t judge. We’re still unpacking after moving in.)
I should have noted above that powder fee latex gloves were used throughout the entire process and were changed regularly, if I got paint on the gloves from the paint mixing process I swapped out before spraying. One thing that I found to be extremely handy for mixing the paint was using children’s medicine syringes. I only found 10ml syringes so it was a PITA squirting out 2mls and then doing another 10 but it allowed for proper mixture. I also bought a ton of paint mixing bottles from hobby lobby and mixed my paint/hardener that way. Having the squirt tip allowed me to squirt as much painted as desired into the paint cup of my HVLP.
1st step in this process is the Coyote Brown base coat. The M1A stocks were done while hanging up but the little parts were done one side at a time. All the parts received 2 full coats of base. I got as much paint as I could into all the nooks and crannies, obviously I didn’t worry about inside of the M4 butt stock or pistol grip. Handguards and the inside of the stocks were coated, I did remove the heat shields from the M4 handguards.
102_4819.jpg

2nd, once all the parts had their base coat it was time to move onto the tan fades. As you can see here I did large fades with the FDE and the DM Tan. I went subtle around the color transitions so that the fades were gradual.
102_4832.jpg

102_4835.jpg

Re: Multicam Paint Job-Duracoat

3rd, once the gradual fades were done and given a 3 hour wait time, I waited a minimum of 3 hours between each different coat to apply or remove stencils. The stencils I used were all hand cut. I used a big 2x3 foot self healing cutting pad and exacto knife to cut out and my wife helped out a lot with cutting after I drew them. Soon after a ton of cutting I taped 2 pieces of masking tape to wax paper and used scissors and got 2 for the price of one. Using this method for cutting stencils went a lot faster. It also allowed me to get a good idea where I wanted one, I could arrange it as such before taking the wax paper off.
After the stencils were applied I used the FDE and DM Tan again to get the abrupt and subtle transitions in the color. I really like the way this step turned out. The 3 different colors of tan produced a nice camo pattern. I almost said hell with it and left this as is because I like it so much but was determined to do MultiCam. After these tans I called it a night.
102_4846.jpg

102_4875.jpg

102_4880.jpg

102_4885.jpg

4thand 5th process was the green fades. I used the DM Mint and custom green as Chunger used. The custom green is 2/3 Woodland Green and 1/3 FDE. This custom green turned out very nicely I feel, and I’m glad I followed his write up. What I did with these two steps was mask more stencils (same style as I used for tan) over the tans and then did large fades with the two greens. I was hoping to duplicate what I had done with the tans. I should have done more gradual fades on the 4th step because when I masked over step 4 for more abrupt fades I didn’t get as good of results as I had with the tan. You be the judge of how it turned out.
102_4902.jpg

102_4907.jpg

6th step was brown accents. Once I finished the green I went into the house to start cutting out the female stencils for the brown accents. I used the cutting mat again but if I were to do this again I would use wax paper and cut with the exacto knife over the pad to make things better. The previous masking steps were time consuming but this step took about 3-4 hours to apply since I didn’t want overspray everywhere. In the end I’m glad I took so long, the brown turned out nicely. For this I used Woodland Brown. One more day done.
102_4920.jpg

102_4922.jpg

7th step was almost exactly the same step for the brown except more dots than squiggles. This took about 4 hours again to meticulously mask everything. This step is one major deviation from Chunger’s write up. Instead of mixing a custom white I just used the Urban Mirage White. I have no use for white and didn’t want to waste a bottle. This step I was the most conservative as far as spraying. I knew that the white would take more passes to cover up under layers so I cranked down the paint flow on my gun and went very light. After 2 passes it looked pretty good as far as cover up the under lying colors. I started early in the morning and finished up to take my boy and wife out.
102_4964.jpg

102_4969.jpg

102_4970.jpg

102_4968.jpg

102_4974.jpg

With this coat after I took the tape of a mag and almost feaked. The UM White is not near as bright of a white as is on the MultiCam pattern. After taking off the masks of the other parts I realized that I liked it this way. I think the subtlety of the UM White toned all the other colors down slightly. Instead of all the colors sticking out they seemed to blend better with this. My wife loves her stock so I’m content with it.
Anyways, that’s my paint job. Once again, credit must be given to Chunger. I’m just posting my own paint job and take no credit for picking the colors or coming up with the process. I hope this helps out members here on the Hide. Please be critical on my process. I’m thick skinned and need the constructive criticism. Hope this helps someone out here. Enjoy!

Awesome writeup. I'm glad you took more photos than I did when I posted originally on Calguns. I think you're only the 2nd person to take a serious stab at it, and I think the result is outstanding!

I had serious problems finding a white that matched, and in the end, I had to lighten up the Urban White because it just wasn't going to be a good match to Multicam's white, but if you're looking for the more subdued look, I think it worked. One mine, I lightened the white a little too much.

That is F#*KING FANTASTIC. I dont have the patience for that sort of work. Looks outstanding. I would send you a stock if you were doing it for cash.

Pretty nice job. Multicam is not easy. No one will mistake that for the actual multicam, but it is still an awesome camo job and looks great.

Thanks guys! Trust me, this paint job was not easy. It took over 4 days but I think it was worth while regardless. My wife loves her M1A stock.
And allthough it isn't Multicam it's close enough to match looely. MultiCam is a computer generated camo so duplicating is nearly impossible. I did what I could to get close and thats where I got, close. And for me, close is good enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty nice job. Multicam is not easy. No one will mistake that for the actual multicam, but it is still an awesome camo job and looks great. </div></div>

Not anyone
wink.gif

If you look at actual multicam, some of the pattern's fade out and blend into one another. It's really, really hard to accomplish.
None the less, you did an excellent job!

MS

Hey guys! So I got back from some training and it's been a week ago since the stocks were last painted up. I figured that I could get the stocks out for some pictures.
The first couple picks are out in my back yard. I haven't been able to get them to the field but as crappy as my back yard looks it works for pics. Then as I had the rifle in the house my boy got interested so my wife took a pic of us. And then of course I wanted to take a pic next to an actual multicam top so I had my gorgeous wife Beth model for me. I put on the Butstock and handguards on one our M4s but didn't put on the pistol grip. So here are a few more pics for your enjoyment. And yes, I couldn't pass up on the pool picture. Not as cool as an "actual" pool pic but funny none the less.
Overall my paint job was a little bit too light next to actual Multicam. I'm glad I didn't whiten up the Urban Mirage, otherwise it would have been even lighter. Looking back it's been a fullfilling camo job and I'm glad I did all that I did at the time because I'm not looking forward to another job that is so in depth.
102_4981.jpg

102_4984.jpg

102_4986.jpg

102_4980.jpg

102_4987.jpg

102B5000.jpg