• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Multiple action review- long Updated

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
To start I’d like to say I’m no expert, and my experience in the shooting world has been more limited then some. I have shot nrl/prs 22 matches, 2 “precision matches” (use to be a Canadian variant) and a ton of friendly comp or shoots out too 1100. I am just an avid shooter and hunter, and love the precision game!!

We see 10’s of posts each year asking about which action is best or some version of that. I am here to give my opinion and feedback from my experiences with the different actions I own to hopefully help someone else in the road to purchasing. I am no machinist or gunsmith so this is from the users point of view and there is obviously different views from the gunsmith side of things. Please remember this is 1 mans opinion and not a which is better then which. So let’s get into it,

1.) stiller tac 30; (2 different tac 30’s)

The stiller has proven so far to be a good action, but it isn’t my favourite and probably wouldn’t purchase another. At the time I purchased they were using 2 piece bolts and 2 different smiths that worked on mine and my shooting partners said they weren’t 100% square and required minor work to make them perfect which in my opinion shouldn’t be the case with an aftermarket action. The bolt lift is id say average, and the bolt cycle is pretty smooth. We’ve ran in some dirty conditions and the nitride tac 30 held perfect but my cerekote action slowed down off the get go. It was too tight with cerekote and took many of many dry fires and shots to wear in properly. Overall a good action but I definitely feel there is better for the money.

2.) kelbly atlas tactical and kelbly obsidian

I cannot speak enough good things about these action. For the value alone it’s simply incredible. I’ve handled 5 different and own 2 now. This bolt is smooth!!!! And the lift is one of the lightest I’ve felt, and could arguably be the lightest. The entire cycle from bolt lift, throw, and lock up is effortless. This has also been ran in some harsher conditions and never had a hiccup. The mechanical ejector works flawlessly and is a super nice feature when running on the bench. While doing load development and finding seating depths it doesn’t put any additional stress or false readings on your brass/loads. The only slightly negative thing I can come up with is it does have a certain feel to it that litterally no other action I’ve ran has. What I mean by that is if I run the bolt it feels different or that it’s not as rigid, and it could be something to do with how unbelievably smooth it is and lock up is so easy that I don’t feel everything engaging like you do from other actions and definitely can be looked at as a positive As well. Overall would buy many more and recommend to anyone. Customer service and the kelbly family is some of the best in the industry. With kelbly changing there bolt stop and coming a standard it is going make it just that much better!!

3.) bighorn/zermatt tl3

This action was something I wanted for a long long time. The features offered are incredible with the changeable bolt heads, mechanical ejector, control round feed!! Now this action is different and I love and it bothers me at the same time. It’s bolt lift and close with the trigger techs (even with a different cocking piece) I find heavier and has almost a gritty feel to it, hard to explain but it almost feels as though there’s sand in something while I’m closing the bolt. The bolt glides as if it was a hot sharp knife running though butter. It is so effortless that half the time it doesn’t even feel like I picked up a round from the chamber. It’s hard to explain as no other action I’ve ever felt feels this way. There is something about the tl3’s I find oddly attractive (for a round body action) and make for a nice action. The negatives are that on my particular set up the control round feed doesn’t work with the 223 set up and that a general thing about them is the bolt binds very easily. If I run this action all day or multiple days I rarely, if at all notice it. if I happen to be shooting literally any other action I own and pick this rifle up i bind it like no tomorrow! It is very very annoying when I don’t have this problem with any other action I own. If they could fix this I wouldn’t have a bad thing to say.

4.) defiance deviant tactical (2 different ones)

There isn’t a bunch I can say about this guy. It is a staple for other actions for a reason. It feels sold yet runs smooth. It looks good yet built like a tank! When using this action you know it’s not a toy, and it brings a level of confidence with it. Say what you will but confidence plays a large role in a shooters ability! With lots of different ways to order this action not everyone is the same so it’s a little unfair to give a feedback. From my experience though with 2 different deviants (one stainless and one dlc’d) they are super smooth, there entire bolt cycle just feels perfect. Not too light that’s your guessing if you picked up a round, not too sloppy or gritty that your binding anything, not too heavy on the lift that you want to complain but not too light your throwing it around like it’s nothing either!

5.) KS SAR 3 lug

This action might just be my happiest surprise yet. Being very hesitant about it due to lack of reviews and use in the wild I’ve never been more pleased with a turn out. With a very unique look, it can’t be mistaken. It stands out from other actions no doubt. The boys at KS are great to deal with and there barrels shoot as good or better then many top brands I’ve shot. For a 3 lug it is the lightest bolt lift I’ve ever felt. It matches many 2 lugs. From the best of my abilities I’ve measured the bolt lift at roughly 4-4.25lbs when compared to my impact at 3.5lbs. The bolt cycle is a dream to run. It’s fast, it’s insanely smooth, and light lift making it one of the nicest I’ve ran. With the unique look, prefit capabilities, and action as smooth as it is I’m not sure why it isn’t more popular. It is cut and interfaced to run both ai and aw with full weight of rifle magazine and it doesn’t cause a single issue!! Thinking I was taking a bit of a shot with this guy, it’s quickly becoming one of my favourites and puts a huge smile on my face each time I use it!!

UPDATE: this action is on a coyote hunting rifle,
So is used in cold weather. I had a bad batch (5000) primers that were giving me light strikes on almost all my actions and got worse as temps dropped. I couldn’t have reliably issues with this set up while out on a stand so I got a heavier spring installed. This actions bolt lift is now significantly heavier and no longer the lightest 3 lug I’ve felt and is probably the heaviest I own now. This was during the primer shortage so
Wasnt Like I was able to get more primers. All in all it doesn’t bother me as the reliability is 100% even on the bad batch of primers now. This rifle has proven to be insanely accurate, with very consistent Es and sd so the fire control must be very consistent. It also holds pressure really well! I AM NOT ADVOCATING for anyone to test high pressures in actions or loads. I just happened to find a node that should be way past pressure and its handles it’s beautifully in this set up.

6.) terminus Zeus

I actually started with a Curtis vector but traded quickly for a Zeus and glad I did. The Zeus is without a doubt amazing. Joel (owner of terminus) is a stand up guy, with top notch service and his innovations in this action show remarkable talent and attention to detail!! The action is smooooothhhh! The bolt lift is the heaviest I own due to being a 3 lug (lighter then my vector though) and the KS is a freak of nature with its ultra light bolt lift in the 3 lug. This thing is a beast! Heavy, rock solid, just overall puts a smile on your face when using it. The roller bearings in it makes the bolt almost close itself. The threaded trigger pins should be used in every action in the market, Talk about easy!!! I ordered both of mine with (now sold one to my shooting partner) the quick change feature. I’m not one for barrel swapping and caliber changing but having spare barrels on hand and 2 screws to swap them out makes things wildly easy. The return to zero and repeatability of this system far exceeds my expectations and anyone with doubt shouldn’t be worried!!

7.) impact 737r

This is the newest too the stable. This action does feel like it takes a lot of bonus from multiple other actions and combine it, but at the same time with the over hype from it I was actually kind of shocked it wasn’t… “more” If that makes sense. There is a bit of a sex appeal with it though that you just can’t deny. The overall cycle is smooth and lift is great, but I was expecting lighter as it’s said to be so so light. I find the kelbly lighter. It is smooth but I find the kelbly smoother and tl3 is damn close minus the lift/close. The thing I like about the impacts cycle is that it does have that feel where it is very light yet not delicate, it is super super smooth yet not getting away from you (which has happened with the tl3). Trigger hangers are handy as hell for spare triggers but are a huge negative in my mind when picking a stock. Impact does it nicely with being able to change sear engagement to help time the trigger to the action. It is my only action that doesn’t fit my bravo, whiskey 3 and my manners prs1t that fits other Remington clones. Honestly after getting past the “something more hype” which ended relatively quickly, im extremely pleased. It has a very positive lock up, and a very positive feel and can see where it might become my favourite 2 lug.

UPDATE; after 2850 rounds on this action I can see the hype of them. They are fast. With the light bolt lift and close, super smooth and reliability even in the hardest shittiest conditions these are pretty sweet!

8.) lone peak fuzion.

This thing from day 1 has completely blown me away. Finish is superb, but feel is top notch 100%. Being so similar to the impact I assumed I wouldn’t be overwhelmed the way I was. My impact now has roughly 2850 rounds on it, plus countless 1000 dryfires. So it’s well broken in. When the lone peak arrived, I strapped on my spare impact barrel, cleaned the action, no oil, and ran them side by each. Out of the box the lone peak was smoother then my well broken in impact and my impact is super smooth so it’s hard to tell. I’m not saying it’s miles different but if one had to choose it would have been the lone peak. The bolt lift is pretty equal but bolt close is lighter on the lone peak. The lone peak fits more chassis’s and stocks as there is no trigger hanger. I ran my spare impact barrel to break it in, fireform some brass, and get use to the action. Well it’s been in 8 other shooters hands and each of them is blown away.

9.) ultimatum deadline gen 2

This action has a pretty unique look too, and really like the aesthetics of this one. The bolt lift and close for a 3 lug is great. It’s actually the lightest bolt lift of a 3 lug i own. The bolt close is very smooth. This rifle has demonstrated incredible accuracy and repeatability, which mostly I believe is the barrel but speaks to the whole system. I have the highest confidence in this rifle of all my rifles. They do not like to single feed though, I’ve tested on 2 of them and neither liked to singe feed. My deadline also binds where the other 3 others I’ve felt don’t. Same thing as the tl3. When using solely my deadline I rarely bind it but if I touch any of my other actions and go back to the deadline it will bind. Don’t know what’s wrong with mine but since the whole system is just so accurate I won’t touch it lol overall it’s a great action.

There should be a falkor joining this list soon as well and will update when they happens and I get some time behind one.

Overall the purpose of this post is to show the next person just to get what you want from the beginning as you will regret your decision if you allow yourself to be swayed one way or another. As you can see from a relatively wide variety of actions, overall I am extremely pleased with all of them! The stiller tac 30is the only one I don’t find worth it’s price when you compare it to others like the tenacity, atlas tactical or origin but I still very much like it. it’s actually the rifle I’ve shot my smallest group at distance with, go figure eh! One persons opinion is very different from the next, and then there’s fan boys, and sponsored shooters, and some people just giving negatives opinions on actions they’ve never owned, handled or shot! Each of these actions have there differences but at the same time they are all similar in a way. All 700 foot prints, all ridiculously nice, and all have proven to be stand up, and excellent platforms.

I hope some find this helpful, and relieve or ease the mind when shopping for there next action. I do have my favourites, but this was suppose to be as unbiased as possible. I paid full pop for all these so in no way, shape or form was this to talk up one company over the other as you can see throughout this post.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for this. This is the sort of info I’ve been trying to find.

Could you perhaps also compare/contrast the following to your stable of actions? Tikka, higher end Remingtons (like the 5R’s), and heck, maybe the Bergara Premier? Just trying to get a baseline of how your think.

Thank you very much for this. This is the sort of info I’ve been trying to find.

Could you perhaps also compare/contrast the following to your stable of actions? Tikka, higher end Remingtons (like the 5R’s), and heck, maybe the Bergara Premier? Just trying to get a baseline of how your think.

Unfortunately I have zero experience with bergara Centerfire rifles so wouldn’t like to comment on that. I’ve only owned 1 tikka and no longer do, but it was fantastic. I never did any work to it, it was straight factory.

I’ve owned many Remingtons from factory to semi customs. While I use to be Remington 700 guy I am no longer. Once I went customs I sold most off. All I have left is 1 70’s bdl. The 700’s always treated me well, and my 5r and sendero’s/sffii always shot great out of the box. I actually had a 300 win mag xcr II that shot as well as many customs. Doing work to them I don’t believe is worth it with the newer more budget friendly options such as origin, tenacity, ss evo, kelbly atlas etc. today if for some reason I wasn’t going to do another custom id be purchasing a tikka hands down. That said, I just don’t know if I could go back lol. Next on the list of builds is falkor and bat.

Unfortunately I have zero experience with bergara Centerfire rifles so wouldn’t like to comment on that. I’ve only owned 1 tikka and no longer do, but it was fantastic. I never did any work to it, it was straight factory.

I’ve owned many Remingtons from factory to semi customs. While I use to be Remington 700 guy I am no longer. Once I went customs I sold most off. All I have left is 1 70’s bdl. The 700’s always treated me well, and my 5r and sendero’s/sffii always shot great out of the box. I actually had a 300 win mag xcr II that shot as well as many customs. Doing work to them I don’t believe is worth it with the newer more budget friendly options such as origin, tenacity, ss evo, kelbly atlas etc. today if for some reason I wasn’t going to do another custom id be purchasing a tikka hands down. That said, I just don’t know if I could go back lol. Next on the list of builds is falkor and bat.
Thanks for the response. But could you do the hide a favor?

How do the factory actions feel compared to the custom actions? Like, pretend they weren’t factory actions and write about them like you did in your original list.

That’s the sort of thing I’m trying to understand (and I’ll bet others are looking for that sort of thing too).

I you don’t want to, I get it. But hey, I thought I’d ask.

Last edited:
I'm not this guy, and I don't have near that many actions or rifles, but I'll throw in -

2018/2019 Win M70 "long" (medium) action (3.4" internal mag length).
Factory - loosey goosey, not prone to binding, but certainly possible with the play. Extractor needed work. Partial lug engagement.
WGW - "you could pay us to true it, but it's already good." Rough/gritty feeling once Cerakoted... bad decision there.
Limited options to replace the MOA trigger. Least good feeling action of anything I've run, also the least reliable from a function standpoint. Didn't always pick up the round properly (i.e. not truly CRF despite that massive, non-rotating, Mauser style claw), and the extractor often required a FIRM hit to the bolt handle to get over the case rim.

CZ 550 (2006 vintage IIRC), long action (6.5x55).
Similar to the M70 above, but a little tighter and a little smoother, with a better trigger. None of the function issues. Really nice Walnut (as opposed to Maple for the M70). Didn't much with this one... and, hilariously, ended up building a rifle of near identical capability (I just realized), albeit with very different ergonomics, after selling it.

Rem 700 Sendero (2012-2014 vintage IIRC).
I didn't do any work to this action, just ran this rifle "as is" for a bit before selling it. Wasn't anything wrong with it, just wasn't the right gun at the right time for me. I am a slow learner, so the Tikka T3x I bought was essential version 2 of this... and I once again realized that I don't really want/need a magnum project rifle. To the extent that I can remember what it felt like, it felt like the ARC.

2020 Tikka T3x (stainless).
Factory - overall very smooth, easily the best feel of the factory actions (and it's not close). Replaced the bolt handle/knob with a Sterk, swept should be the standard. $10 into a new trigger spring was the only other thing I did. Frankly, this felt better than the ARC Nucleus Gen 2 I own. Bolt lift was light and smooth, much better clearance with low/hunting height optics compared to the M70. Sold because I didn't want yet another project gun.

ARC Nucleus Gen 2 (2020/2021 vintage).
Definitely has a rougher more utilitarian feel when compared to my Surgeon, KRG, or Tikka. Feels heavier to me than the KRG, but I have a LOT more time on the KRG, so the Nuc may smooth out at some point. Love the barbell bolt knob. Despite any shortcoming in feel, it runs just fine. 100% functional, looks good, shoots well. Very much a "high end factory" feel to it.

KRG SOTIC S/N 000XX.
Definitely a bit heavy when new, lighted up considerably with use (it's a 3-lug, 60 deg). Decidedly cleaner/smoother feeling than the ARC Nuc Gen 2. Certainly on par with, maybe a little better than the Tikka. It's on the fine line of "just enough" play/looseness to ensure it runs. No binding unless you run it dry and do it on purpose.

Impact 737 (not mine).
Ran this on a house gun at K&M. Well broken in, obviously, very smooth. Felt a bit "tighter" than the actions mentioned above, but no issues of any sort running it (had there been any, I am sure K&M would have sorted it in house way before it made it into my hands). Nice action, almost bought one, despite having no idea what to do with it, just based on the feel.

Surgeon 591, Tac Ops edition.
I saw the factory version of this action once, fresh out of the oven, to do the 4473. I'm sure they're very nice actions, but I never ran mine unadulterated. This one's on a different level. Green-T coated and, sample size of 1 each, Green-T >> Cerakote. Tight and as smooth as glass, this action is a joy to run. Easily on par with the Impact as delivered. I haven't shot this back to back with the KRG, but it's a decidedly lighter and more pleasant experience to run than the ARC Nuc G2.

Thanks for the response. But could you do the hide a favor?

How do the factory actions feel compared to the custom actions? Like, pretend they weren’t factory actions and write about them like you did in your original list.

That’s the sort of thing I’m trying to understand (and I’ll bet others are looking for that sort of thing too).

I you don’t want to, I get it. But hey, I thought I’d ask.

I wish I could but I just wouldn’t be a fair comparison as I really don’t have much experience any more. I’ve been run customs for roughly 8 years now so I’m a little biased and uninformed for a true honest comparison between factory options.

I have personal preference but that’s all they are. Im a really big fan of Winchester model 70’s. I find them extremely smooth, excellent finish, and great wood! They tend to shoot very well.

The tikka’s are phenomenal. They don’t have that bullet proof feel is the best way I can put it, and I don’t find there finish quite as nice as Winchester but no doubt about it, out of the box then shoot incredible, and there acrion is like glass! There aftermarket parts are growing well and are a great option.

Brownings I’ve always liked as well for a hunting rifle. Short throw, fast actions, but not as smooth on the bolt throw as the other two. They make a well balanced, short barreled hunting rifle. Easy to carry, easy to maneuver.

Remington 700’s always flat out worked for me, but I mainly purchased them due to after market parts. If winchester, tikka and browning had them same at the time I would of most likely went that route

Reactions: carbonbased
I know it’s old but I’ve read this thread multiple times. All it’s done is make me want all of these actions.
I apologize about the bad news. A ultimatum deadline gen 2 , kelbly obsidian muzzeloader action, lone peak fuzion have been added to the lineup since then.

How's the lone peak? I'm thinking about a Zeus or a lone peak next

Nice. How’s does that deadline stack up against the Terminus?
The deadlines bolt lift is 10x lighter then the terminus, the terminus bolt close will basically close itself but the deadlines is still very very light for a 3 lug. The deadlines bolt is smooth but id say the terminus is smoother. Overall both are great, the deadline is lighter, the Zeus feels and is beefier. I have an early terminus where the bolt coating isn’t great, but so far the deadlines coatings seems to be bullet proof!

Time for an update then :cool:
Updated. There’s an update to the impact and ks action as well

How's the lone peak? I'm thinking about a Zeus or a lone peak next
The lonepeak is insane! Both actions are incredible but totally different feels being 90 and 60 so depends on what you like. I don’t know if I could pick a favourite but at this moment gun to my head lone peak is what would probably be the one I’d say. It’s tough to stay unbiased when you consider which rifles are shooting the best or favourite calibers/entire builds but the lone peak action alone is just incredible.

Last edited: