• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing murcury rifle recoil buffer

11D20

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2010
Arizona
I am in the process of getting the Choate tactical rifle stock for the Savage 110 action...I understand that the inside of the stock is hollow...I shoot the .300 win mag and am considering a Murcury recoil reducer...or....

The other mod that I am thinking of doing if it is an option is if the palm swell is hollow like in the Plaster stock...what I did with that stock, is filled it with lead as well as the channels under the barrel....

Anyone with the new Choate tactical stock, could you check to see if the palm swell handle is hollow to where you could store stuff there like lead?

I prefer this method compared to using a muzzle break....

What are your thoughts and experiences with Murcury recoil reducers, or weighting it down with lead for less recoil...

Re: murcury rifle recoil buffer

Adding Lead to the butt stock works great, combined the extra wieght with a muzzle brake are you'll be golden

The only problem with the muzzle brake is that they don't allow them, when your on a firing line in competition....

I had a John Plaster stock on my 110 years ago and weighted it down with lead below the barrel...there were several slots for it...then in the pistol grip there was an area the took lead...When I got it all done, it shot like the 308 for the recoil...SWEET~!...

So, now I am hoping that the new Choate tactical stock has the same hollow pistol grip....That would be PerrrFect~!

Butt area is hollow and pistol grip is also hollow in the new tactical stocks from Choate. I fill only the butt area with lead as that gave me the best balance when shooting different positions (off hand, sitting, kneeling, and even prone)

Hope this helps.

gszeto99:

Thanks for the info...That is what I wanted to know....And that will tame the recoil on my .300 mag....With the standard Savage stock, the kick is such that I can shoot about 20 rounds before the shoulder gets sore...This is my 6th Savage...I normally shoot the barrels out in one season, but with the rising costs of the guns, I kept this one near new...It is one of the older tactic rifles from the early 2000's, before accu-trigger
....Still shoots 1/2 to 3/8 moa when I do my part...

Thanks again~!