• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Muriatic acid for stripping hard chrome input/help

Re: Muriatic acid for stripping hard chrome input/help

I am curious about why?

However you might try doing a general internet search for anodizing and or plating.

Muretic Acid is used for stripping blueing.Plating has to be reverse plated to be removed compleatly

i had a chrome plated luger....years ago......don't think it got a acid bath....could be wrong here.....i've slept since then too....

FM...whatever you do will NOT be a controlled strip. Live with it or accept the fact that the piece/barrel/whatever will not be the same as before the plating. You may ruin the whole thing. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cvedrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious about why?

However you might try doing a general internet search for anodizing and or plating.</div></div>

I dont like silver...I want to paint it and the paint will not stick to the chrome verry well..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How hard is the HC to remove? will it mess up the checkering and how about the slide its a pretty tight fit? </div></div>

If you decide that you want to strip the chrome off, You will need Muriatic Acid. It can be found at a swimming pool supply store.

Submerge the parts completely and let them soak in a well ventilated area until the chrome is removed. Remove from the acid and rinse thoroughly with water. Any small areas of chrome that remain will be noticeable and can be removed with blasting or polishing. The tolerances should not be affected as the chrome plating should be very thin and will react with the acid much faster than the base metal. DO NOT put anything aluminum in the acid to strip. </div></div>

The amount of time will depend on how thick the chrome is. Just keep an eye on it, it doesn't happen very fast.

easy answer, bead blast the chrome to texture it, clean it with solvent, spray paint it with Alumahyde II and cure it with a heat gun.

Did this with my FAL, no muss no fuss durable and looks nice.

I would say have it blasted with glass bead media to create a semi-porous substrate for paint or coating to adhere to. This will look somewhat satin after beadblasting is completed.

Find a chrome plating shop. Ask them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmtuning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say have it blasted with glass bead media to create a semi-porous substrate for paint or coating to adhere to. This will look somewhat satin after beadblasting is completed. </div></div>

Think of chroming as a hard candy shell, its durability comes from its hardness and the fact that it is one homogenous piece of material wrapped around the part that cannot expand or contract. Once you break through that shell it LOVES to just peel off, no matter what you put on top of it.

Now really good chrome jobs dont do this as bad, but there arent a LOT of really really good chrome jobs out there.