• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Murphy Challenge 2020

MOUNTIC

Mountic Outdoors: Big Game Hunter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2017
    Colorado
    mounticoutdoors.com
    Anyone else going to be doing the Murph Challenge this year? Last year was my first go at it, with only one days notice and let's just say it wrecked me. I was in excellent shape and worked out regularly but nothing hit me like the 100 pull-up requirement.

The running, squats, pushups was nothing. What got me was the 100 legit pull ups. I can do 50 legit hanging pullups in sets of 10 no problem. But that's pushing it and my arms are wasted afterwards. I see guys doing those swinging leg things.. I won't call them pull ups because they aren't, and they can knock out 50 in a set.

What are some good ways to be able to actually get the 100 pullups? I'm 6'1 with long arms. Athletic build. 195 lbs. About 6% body fat. Let's just say in was the only one not using bands or another form of assisting to get your chin above the bar. And what I thought to be in the best shape out of everyone there, still finished dead last. But I was the only one doing legit pull-ups. Took forever to get the 100.

Should I just not be so dead set on 100 legit lockout hanging pullups and breeze through? Seems like its cheating the challange but maybe I'm taking it too seriously. What are others doing and what training helps with 100 pull ups. I do weighted pullups with a plate hanging from my waist to strengthen, but 100 is just brutal. What gives? And who else is giving it a go this year?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Huskydriver
    The Murph is geared for CrossFit. Kipping/butterfly pull-ups are a regular. I’d suggest learning to do those style pull-ups. I guarantee they are not as easy as you think and you WILL rip your hands open doing them before you get good.

Reactions: BOISCOID
    20200226_193755.jpg

20200226_193635.jpg

Try one of these. I did the top one 2 years ago and it was way easier than doing the 10 pull ups. Missed last year but plan on doing it again this year.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
    I’m with you on this as well. Can do most everything and keep up, but I do a proper pull up as well, and get smoked on times. I’m old enough where I’m not going to injure myself anymore trying the butterfly, just in it to stay in shape now

Crossfit is kinda strange for me, tried a few classes, and there seems to be two distinct groups. One, small percentage, just to workout, another is like a lifestyle cult change. I had some friends get into it, and they only hang out with the crossfit guys now. Was at one of their parties, not crossfit related but that’s all they talked about. I guess I don’t need motivation like that to keep working out, and it’s great that those people got in shape, but just strange experience.

The other thing is the injuries they seem to have. Seems like a lot of rotator issues and it’s often. I wonder when this fad is going to subside... I noticed a few of those gyms already closed in my town

Thanks for the replies. Yea I'm not into cross fit. Way to many guys I know getting injured jerking and throwing weight around. I think I'll give the 5 rep sets a go. Not interested in the kicking swing pullups, so I think the 5 may be the ticket. The pullup bars are on a brick wall so even if you wanted to swing, it's not possible.

I will try it out this month and update back.

Second remember the great Kenny Powers motto about crossfitters in particular

52181328cdc43b36d10213034cdd112c.png

Third...
    crossfit6.png

Lastly...If your playing prs games you better learn to game the stage I mean CrossFit ahem...if your playing CrossFit games like the murph you better learn to game like one lol

• Haha
    Reactions: Steel+Killer
    I didnt think it was a cross fit thing originally? Only that crossfit guys tried to pick up the workout. Either way, it's for a good cause and bunch of guys come out in their chest rigs with weight to work out and donate to a few charities for vets. Just another challange to set a goal to work towards.

If anyone is an archery hunter and wants to come out this year to the Train to Hunt challange in Co springs. Buddy and I are doing that this year.

Just like to stay motivated.

Last edited:
    I have done Murph every year for the last seven years. I do it “partitioned” , so I do the one mile run, 20 rounds of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 squats, then the last mile run. All with the weight vest on, and the last few years I have been running with the American Flag. My thought is that Murph started as a CF “Hero” WOD? There are a bunch of them and they are all brutally difficult. I have been doing CrossFit for 7 years and definitely don’t drink all the Kool Aid, but it works for me. Can it be cultish? Yep. Hell, so can frickin Jazzercise. Like anything CrossFit has evolved over the years, some good stuff, some bad. I know there is a way bigger focus on strict movements than there used to be. They have also got really into fighting all sorts of legal battles for different causes. I dont pay too much attention to that stuff. I am a big fan of warming up, working my ass off for 15-30 minutes, cooling down, and then getting on with my life.

Reactions: MosesTheTank
    Props on doing Murph with a vest and strict pull-ups. I do sets of 5, and at around 60-70 I end up doing sets of 2... With a vest the pull-ups by far take the most time, and is the toughest part of the workout.

I think you’ll have better results splitting up the movements.

Murph is absolutely a CrossFit workout. Just because some of their methods are wack doesn’t mean they don’t have some real badass workouts... especially this one honoring a SEAL who sacrificed himself to help his team survive. Don’t know why that bothers some here.

OP, how did it go?

The Murph is a good cardio workout and I try to do it once a month. The 5/10/15 routine is the way to go. The first time I did it with a vest it wrecked me and I had to take the vest off to finish, which I barely did. It was something I had to work up to for a number of months.

Just because cross-fitters have latched onto it is not a reason to dismiss it. Take a look at how this workout got started and that should give you enough inspiration to give it a go.

I do crossfit 2x/wk (though covid has thrown a wrench into that) and find it a great way to mix things up as the workouts are constantly changing. Many of us settle into a routine and it is a good thing to get thrown some curve balls. Of course there are lots of cross-fit cultists out there that are a huge turnoff and suck the fun out of it, especially for someone just looking for a new way of exercising. The majority I have been around, which is not that many, have never really played sports, are hopelessly spastic, and are often making up for some shortcoming that has rendered them rabidly insecure -> so they rant on about crossfit non-stop. Many of them also can't help themselves from parading around as naked as possible without risking being arrested.

Not every cross-fit gym is like this. The first one I walked into had the stereotypical cross-fit vibe and I immediately walked out. I happened across one that is just a group of people that want to be fit and the fellowship is great. If you can't find one like this you can still benefit from this type of training. Doing the Murph regularly is why I made the Tactical Games podium.

Yes the 5/10/15 is by far a better way to go. Couldn't still get all the pull ups at 5 at the end. So I had to go down to 2s. What a difference then trying to do the 10s. I think doing less push-ups a set also helped my pullups not getting burnt out so fast. The body squats at 15 help my heart rate and doing the 5/10/15 changes the whole workout.

I actually am having rotator cuff and short head of my bicep issues on my right arms. Old injuries coming back to life. So I've been rehabbing that and working back into some workouts. Yesterday was first day I could get sets of 10 pullups without my shoulder feeling like fire.

Actually working out more with all this covid stuff going on. Have dumbells through 60s, Olympic bar and weights, curl bar, and some other things. So I'm still able to squat and deadlift among other things. Bench has something I've held off of other then the 60 dumbells. Even that makes the shoulder start to feel it.

Hope the shoulder holds out but will still be doing it this year.

Yes the 5/10/15 is by far a better way to go. Couldn't still get all the pull ups at 5 at the end. So I had to go down to 2s. What a difference then trying to do the 10s. I think doing less push-ups a set also helped my pullups not getting burnt out so fast. The body squats at 15 help my heart rate and doing the 5/10/15 changes the whole workout.

I actually am having rotator cuff and short head of my bicep issues on my right arms. Old injuries coming back to life. So I've been rehabbing that and working back into some workouts. Yesterday was first day I could get sets of 10 pullups without my shoulder feeling like fire.

Actually working out more with all this covid stuff going on. Have dumbells through 60s, Olympic bar and weights, curl bar, and some other things. So I'm still able to squat and deadlift among other things. Bench has something I've held off of other then the 60 dumbells. Even that makes the shoulder start to feel it.

Hope the shoulder holds out but will still be doing it this year.
    Good luck with the shoulder I hope your adding in some of that physical therapy stuff to help the recovery process. Getting cut on the shoulder sucks!

Yes. Its not fun. Using bands and doing some stretches and rehab. I tore my rotator cuff playing baseball back in the day, and guess its coming back to rear its ugly head.

2020 Murph in the bag. Small group of some friends and neighbors. Time to gain some calories back. The 5/10/15 was the ticket. 47:30 for the full Murphy. Ended up getting all the full 100 lockout pullups this time. Buddy of mine who is much better at pullups then me, did the sets of 10 until 7th set and then was fully burnt out. Let's just say he will be doing the 5 rep sets next year.

Last edited:
    Reactions: --BLACKOUT--
    After losing 200lbs, this is my first Murph. Did a half Murph at a 57:46 time. Next year I’ll do a full Murph. I planned to do a full Murph but the covid thing kinda ruined my training cycle.

Attachments

• 291A47CE-6D37-463D-A29D-D47151A34368.png
      291A47CE-6D37-463D-A29D-D47151A34368.png
      5.5 MB · Views: 21
    Much respect !!
    I’m WAY to old to be attempting the Murph, but got to give everyone that attempts it major props.
    I ran my first Marathon in 1976 , and did it on youth and determination , not preparation. Hell , I ran it in worn out Nike Waffle Trainers.
    Many years and thousands of miles later , I still wake up at 0430 , do a 100 push-ups , crunches and 50 pull-ups....then a 5 mile run.
    I envy you guys ....but being close to 67 , I have to watch !!

Reactions: bobke
    I pr'd Murph this year...by one second. This was my seventh or eighth Murph, so I have the strategy pretty much dialed. Props to anyone who does Murph, no matter how you slice it, it's a spicy meatball. Full disclosure, I kip the pullups, with a vest. I couldn't imagine doing strict weighted pullups, I would be doing a lot of staring at the bar. Sadly, my one second of gain from last year resulted in at least 2 more days of soreness and general recovery time. It really sucks getting older, my recovery times keep getting longer and longer the older I get. Still plan on doing Murph as long as I can, and the thought of Murph on the horizon always gets me motivated to work a little harder or be more consistent.

Reactions: ColinW and MOUNTIC
    I know a guy that does it once a week. He thought he was in shape until the first time. He says it still hurts and he's been at it for a while.

Reactions: ColinW
    I do Murph once a month. To me, there's really no better, all around type of workout than running, pushups, pullups and squats. I break it up by 5/10/15 x 20. I push it, but I don't reach the rev limiter until memorial day :) On memorial day I push it and throw the vest on and do it "prescribed", run, 100 strict, 200, 300, run. It's a hard burner with the vest on!! I only kip if I have to and it usually takes me about an hour to do strict with a vest. My current PR is 45:53 when I ran it on the sand in San Diego 2 years ago with a few buddies on memorial day. After we crossed the mile marker on the 2nd mile run, we cracked some beers the crew of Operation Redwing. Great way to honor those guys! Hooyah Murph!

Last edited:
    Reactions: --BLACKOUT--