• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Murphy Precision Kimber Model 82A/B 25 MOA Base

Aries64

Deep Behind Enemy Lines in IsWokestan!
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Fellow Hiders -

I'd like to give a big "thumbs-up" to <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Cameron Murphy at Murphy Precision</span></span>. Cameron is the proprietor provides excellent product with fast turnaround. Hes' also a really nice guy.<span style="font-style: italic">"Thats' nice, but I've already heard that"</span>, you say?

Well, my experience is different for several reasons. For starters, my particular base is the first of it's kind from Murphy Precision - a two-piece base. The typical base that that Cameron machines is a 20 MOA one-piece, but I wanted a two-piece for two reasons: First, two-piece bases provide better access to the loading port and breech than "bridge" designs, even if the "bridge" is radiused/relieved for clearance.

Given the smaller loading ports typically found on rimfires this is a serious consideration. Cameron asked me to provide him with a receiver layout diagram with the dimensions of the loading port the screw locations and centers, which I did. I also sent him the original Kimber two-piece base and screws so that he could match the contour exactly and calculate the length of the new screws correctly.

Second, I didn't want the "tacticool" look of a one-piece design (of course, this concept goes out the door if you mount a PMII 5-25X or something equally large, but if you mount a "normal" scope the base is rather inconspicuous).

Another thing is that Murphy usually make bases in 20 MOA, but I requested that my base be 25 MOA. As I like to be able to dial out as far as I can without holding over I wanted to squeeze out an extra 5 minutes. The rear height differential between a 20 MOA and a 25 MOA base is negligible.

Lastly, my base is made for the old Kimber of Oregon Model 82, specifically an 82C "Roundtop". <span style="font-style: italic">Theorietically</span>, my new base could also work on an 82A built with a "Roundtop" receiver instead of the dovetailed receiver usually seen on the 82As', but theres' no way to confirm it without having an 82A "Roundtop" to measure, and I don't have one.

The layout of the Model 82B is the same as the 82C, and since I'm really pleased with the 25 MOA two-piece base that Cameron made for my 82C "Roundtop", after I try-out my 82C base I'll probably have Murphy Precision machine another 25 MOA two-piece base for my other 82C "Roundtop".

Not too many guys here have Kimber Model 82s' and even fewer have Sporters, but now that the groundwork is done maybe some other Kimber guys will benefit from Cameron's hard work and machining skills. A set of correct length stainless steel screws were also provided with my new base. Below are some photos of the base on and off of my 82B "Roundtop".

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Front & Rear bases shown with their respective stainless steel screws:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOATwo-PieceBase28x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of top of Front Base:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAFRONTTOP8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of bottom of Front Base. Etched arrow indicates base front:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAFRONTBOTTOM8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of top of Rear Base:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAREARTOP8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of bottom of Rear Base. Etched arrow indicates base front:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAREARBOTTOM8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of installed two-piece 25 MOA Base:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOATwo-PieceBaseLSMountedNOSN8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeups of installed Front Base:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAFRONTBaseRSFAMounted8x6.jpg

MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAFRONTBaseRSRAMounted8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeups of installed Rear Base:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAREARBaseLSFAMounted8x6.jpg

MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAREARBaseRSRAMounted8x6.jpg

Click <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">here</span></span> to see my Kimber Model 82C Classic wearing it's new Murphy Precision 25 MOA Two-Piece Base and a PMII 2-25X Gen 2 XR CCW.

Keith

Re: Murphy Precision Kimber Model 82A/B 25 MOA Base

Looks good. I have a 20 MOA rails on my two SVT's from USO. Thats another option too for Kimber rimfire owners.

Re: Murphy Precision Kimber Model 82A/B 25 MOA Base

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. I have a 20 MOA rails on my two SVT's from USO. Thats another option too for Kimber rimfire owners. </div></div>
Thanks for the compliment <span style="font-style: italic">Guns4570</span>. However, the 20 MOA base USO sells does not fit any version of the Kimber Model 82 (82A, 82B, or 82C). USO's 20 MOA base is made to fit the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span></span>, which is an entirely different rifle from the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber "Model 82"</span></span>. The two are entirely different rifles manufactured by two entirely different companies. The <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span></span> and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber "Model 82"</span></span> actions are completely different.

I've verified that the USO 20 MOA base is for the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span></span> in person at USO. I took two <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber Model 82C</span></span> rifles down to USO and checked them against the 20 MOA base that USO sells. The mounting holes do not match up with the Model 82s' at all, so USO's base is definitely not made to fit Model 82 rifles. It is made to fit the newer Yonkers, New York rifles. Your two SVTs' are <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span></span> rifles from the NY-based Kimber company.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span></span> rifles were manufactured in Yonkers, New York. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber Model 82"</span></span> rifles were manufactured in Oregon. Both companies made what is called the SVT (Short Varmint Target). The New York <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span></span> only came with matte black receivers and matte stainless steel barrels. The Oregon-based <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber Model 82"</span></span> came in both matte blue receiver with blued barrel and matte blue receiver with matte stainless barrel.

For future reference for anyone reading this, a sure way to determine if your rifle is a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span></span> or a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber Model 82"</span></span> is to look at the proofmark on the on the side of the receiver opposite the loading port. If it is stamped <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span></span> then you have a New York gun. If it is stamped <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber Model 82"</span></span> then you have an Oregon gun. This will help prevent people from buying incorrect bases and save frustration to both the rifle owner and USO.

The photo below shows a Kimber Model 82C "Roundtop" receiver. Note the <span style="font-style: italic">"Model 82"</span> designation on the receiver opposite the loading port, as well as the .500" screw centers of both the Front and Rear base mounting holes.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber Model 82C "Roundtop" receiver. <span style="color: #FF0000">The Front of the receiver is on the left in this photo:</span></span></span>
KimberModel82BRoundtopBaseMountingHolesNOSN8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Note the hole spacing on this USO "Kimber 22" 20 MOA One-Piece Base. <span style="color: #FF0000">The Front of the base is on the right in these photos:</span></span></span>
USOKimber22TOPProfile8x6.jpg

USOKimber22RSProfile8x6.jpg

USO also makes an extended picatinny base for the single-shot Model 82 Government training rifles. I don't have any photos of the "M82" Government base.

Keith