• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Murphy's law proves faithful yet again

johnsobr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
IL
So I've been waiting to scratch my itch for a coyote hunt since summer and the time finally arrives. The stars align and all of the guys are finally together once again. I decided I had better give my coyote rifle one good look through the night before. When I remove the firing pin assembly, I find this...
IMG_3261.jpg

And this
IMG_3887.jpg

That right two breaks in my "fancy" reduced lock time spring. FML! guess back to a factory spring for reliability. Wouldn't be so bad but it is my least favorite thing to work on a 700.

Re: Murphy's law proves faithful yet again

Well on the bright side....at least you didn't go out to hunt and get the dreaded click and no boom effect! It sucks, but it happens anew there's several ways to look at it, however this was the best I could think of.

Your right tacticalj as they say.... Click, the loudest sound in the world.

Anyone else seen this in their reduced lock time pins and springs? I'm betting it's a temper issue with the spring. I do a lot of dry fire but have never seen this before.

Looks like you lost a couple of coils off your spring. Not what you want to see but no excuse to not go hunting. It will still go bang just might take 1 more milisecond. Call and get a replacement sping as there seems to be a bad heat treat on the on you have and go kill some dogs.

I ended up just swapping the entire assembly with my 308. Didn't feel like dealing with the whole mess right now. No dogs this morning. We'll be back after em this afternoon. Then on to some coons for opening night tomorrow which reminds me gotta check the zero on the hmr.