• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Musgrave Rifles in South Africa

Ison

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2013
Does anybody here have any experience with these rifles? I stumbled on this website this morning and was intrigued. I would like to have a custom .358 Norma Magnum built someday. Mainly because you really don't see them pop up for sale. I've heard it's a great round for Alaska hunting.

I was thinking about a VZ24 build for the .358 Norma Mag

I had a Musgrave 7.62 target rifle that I used for long range prone match years ago. It was a very good rifle, bombproof. I had zero problems with it overall.

Does anybody here have any experience with these rifles? I stumbled on this website this morning and was intrigued. I would like to have a custom .358 Norma Magnum built someday. Mainly because you really don't see them pop up for sale. I've heard it's a great round for Alaska hunting.

I was thinking about a VZ24 build for the .358 Norma Mag

Musgrave has an interesting history in the realm of South Africa firearms. If you want detailed information about the history, I recommend you read: "Firearms Developed and Manufactured in Southern Africa 1949-2000".

The Musgrave name was revived in 2009 by Frikkie du Plooy (https://www.musgraverifles.co.za/musgrave-history).

Musgrave made traditional hunting rifles based on the Mauser design, but also single shot target rifles. I owned multiple of the target rifles, but mostly used them for hunting. When people asked me why do you hunt with a single shot, I always replied, "with a Musgrave you only need one shot : )".

As to how they compare with other old and modern rifles, I can't say. I inherited one from my grandpa, my father got one for free from a friend and I bought another for $60 from another man, all of them was single shot and had a heavy barrel. So they were really good value for money and it was all I can afford at the time.

As for the new ones, I don't know much about them.

I had a Musgrave 7.62 target rifle that I used for long range prone match years ago. It was a very good rifle, bombproof. I had zero problems with it overall.
Apparently the Bisley guys loved them because the action was stiff enough to handle a long and heavy .308 Win barrel. I remember seeing them being sold second hand in England for a decent amount of money back in 2006.

Reactions: BigKev72
Thanks for the responses and all the information fellas. When I do a VZ24 build in the future, it will be with Musgrave rifles! Sounds like they produce a quality product.

Their target rifle used a locally made cast steel action and a Mauser bolt

That’s where I picked mine up. Got a swing two years later haha.