• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mushrooms, Anybody finding many?

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
As I remember, there are a few of on here that hunt mushroom. How are you doing?

This AM i checked a known Oyster mushroom stump and there are a few starting out. I will wait on them.

And it is moving on to asparagus hunting too. and ramps and what else do you hunt for in the Spring???

Is it time for Morels? and Oysters, and what else? FM

Reactions: Bender
You have ramps in CO? I thought that was just an Appalachia thing.

Found these while riding Rampart Range about three years ago. It was early June.

Reactions: Bender
I believe it is time for morels. I be looking for them when I go spring turkey huntin' tomorrow. I usually find them located in pine forests.

Reactions: Foul Mike
We have ramps in an old garden on the farm started by the first of the family from back east.
It took us the longest time to know what we have, a trip to the East Coast did it.

They were pretty wild but we have been thinning and cultivating a bit around them for a few years and now have a good source of ramps each spring. I love them. Brings on Spring. and all of the other goodies that come first. FM

Tators pan fried with ramps is pretty good eating. Between the ramps and a few drinks it will make some powerful breath. Creasy greens and polk are a couple more wild spring eats.

Short story about polk. A friend was over helping me several years ago. He pointed out some weeds that needed spraying. I told him that was polk and was good to eat and if he ate a big mess of it, it would clean him out and he wouldn't get sick all year. Fastforward a couple days I called him on the phone. First thing he said when answering was "I'm still shitting you sumbitch". I laughed and told him that means he was full of shit!

Edit: If anyone wants to try polk, boil it one, drain & rinse and boil it again. First boil removes some of the powerfulness and that's damned important!

I have never found morel's, I tried last weekend but no luck, I will go out this weekend again.
I still have a ton of dried oysters, so I leave them when I find them, chicken of the woods is on my bucket list too, have never seen one.

I think it is still a week or so early for the Morels in my area...........I have a friend that takes a low profile boat into some fingers on a local big lake..............and he finds ### of them every year.........but I think it's still a little early.......................

@Foul Mike
I'm a big time mycophile.
I have cultivated them and I used to hunt them.
I've got some around my place, mostly oysters and turkey tail. I am not able to go out and climb these mountains anymore so, no I haven't found anything beyond my 4.5 acres.

Hard to beat the phorid flies to a good flush of oysters.
I had ~500lbs of poplar logs innoculated back in 2014. That was a bad year for me and I lost 95% of them to squirrels and phorid flies.
Me and my youngest daughter enjoyed one good meal off them in 2015.
If I can get my health on the right track I'd like to try again.
Next time I'm gonna cultivate them inside on straw substrate.

If you want to know anything just ask.
I have all of Paul Stamets books, and have a pretty good eye for identification. On Carolina Firearms Forum I was one of the mushroom guys. I've drove halfway accross the state to collect specimens guys would post pics of.

I recommend Stamets books. Also Audubon Field guide for mushrooms, and petersens Field guide for edible wild plants.

Believe it or not daylilies make a fine meal in early summer.

I know a mountainside in central Virginia where everyonce in a while in the spring and fall the forest floor is covered with the ones below. Beautiflul but you need a strong stomach and stout constitution to eat them, Im told...

Went out this evening to a good spot and didn’t find any yet (morels). Must be a little early yet here in central IL. I’ve heard they’ve been finding them down in Shawnee forest for a week or so.

I know a mountainside in central Virginia where everyonce in a while in the spring and fall the forest floor is covered with the ones below. Beautiflul but you need a strong stomach and stout constitution to eat them, Im told...

View attachment 7063279

Fly agaric
Yeah...you'll need a strong stomach and a Superman liver. They are pisen.

Had a guy I used to hunt with in Kansas. He told me he used to take a trip to Missourri and get cooler fulls. What kind are in Missourri ?

Had a guy I used to hunt with in Kansas. He told me he used to take a trip to Missourri and get cooler fulls. What kind are in Missourri ?

@Snipe260 sorry...got your post confused with maggot.
They have all kinds of mushrooms in Missouri.

If he was making a pilgrimage with a cooler. My bet is morels.

There are old mycophiles, and bold mycophiles, but very very few old bold mycophiles.
You'd better KNOW beyond a doubt, what you are eating.

Last edited:
I was in Asheville 2 weeks ago. Had to go to Lexington to meet my shoulder surgeon then drove to Asheville. Saw a Good old boy on the side of the road selling Ramps out the back of his pick up when I got off 40 for gas just outside Asheville. Had to look them up myself. Lol

@Snipe260 sorry...got your post confused with maggot.
They have all kinds of mushrooms in Missouri.

If he was making a pilgrimage with a cooler. My bet is morels.

There are old mycophiles, and bold mycophiles, but very very few old bold mycophiles.
You'd better KNOW beyond a doubt, what you are eating.
He said he cooked them like steak on the grill. I cook portabellas on the grilll. They are fantastic!

I was in Asheville 2 weeks ago. Had to go to Lexington to meet my shoulder surgeon then drove to Asheville. Saw a Good old boy on the side of the road selling Ramps out the back of his pick up when I got off 40 for gas just outside Asheville. Had to look them up myself. Lol
He was really selling shine.

Reactions: Maggot
Dang! I've never found enough of those for a "decent mess"
Impressive.

Internet photo, but ya, we can fill pillow cases with them. You would not believe the size of some of the areas scattered with them during hunting season. And then there's always these for a 'good laugh'. ?

Reactions: Barneybdb
Internet photo, but ya, we can fill pillow cases with them. You would not believe the size of some of the areas scattered with them during hunting season. And then there's always these for a 'good laugh'. ?

View attachment 7063354
Those have a beautiful blue stain when you pinch them dont they? Ive seen them in the fields in Texas after a good rain.

I keep having to cut off new spears before they get frozen off. I was driving looking for asparagus this morning when it was too windy to go zero a couple rifles. I didn't see anything yet. The stuff in my garden started a couple weeks ag
@Foul Mike
I'm a big time mycophile.
I have cultivated them and I used to hunt them.
I've got some around my place, mostly oysters and turkey tail. I am not able to go out and climb these mountains anymore so, no I haven't found anything beyond my 4.5 acres.

Hard to beat the phorid flies to a good flush of oysters.
I had ~500lbs of poplar logs innoculated back in 2014. That was a bad year for me and I lost 95% of them to squirrels and phorid flies.
Me and my youngest daughter enjoyed one good meal off them in 2015.
If I can get my health on the right track I'd like to try again.
Next time I'm gonna cultivate them inside on straw substrate.

If you want to know anything just ask.
I have all of Paul Stamets books, and have a pretty good eye for identification. On Carolina Firearms Forum I was one of the mushroom guys. I've drove halfway accross the state to collect specimens guys would post pics of.

I recommend Stamets books. Also Audubon Field guide for mushrooms, and petersens Field guide for edible wild plants.

Believe it or not daylilies make a fine meal in early summer.

Well damn. i would have bet money, I was the only member who knows who Paul Staments is. He is a wealth of fungal information.

I keep having to cut off new spears before they get frozen off. I was driving looking for asparagus this morning when it was too windy to go zero a couple rifles. I didn't see anything yet. The stuff in my garden started a couple weeks ag

Well damn. i would have bet money, I was the only member who knows who Paul Staments is. He is a wealth of fungal information.

I only masquerade as a dumb ass redneck hillbilly peckerwood.

My favorite line when it comes to mushroom picking. And I believe I learned it from someone here, years ago:

All mushrooms are edible.

Some, only once.

We used to pick "Bearded Sam's" when we hunted the Kootenay's, years ago. And other areas.

Army Jerry, when the SHTF you need to know what grows in your area as AMMO is not edible and the grocery may not be open.
This AM I drove down to an old stump that I know of that produces and got 1.5 lbs. of prime oysters. Very happy with that and my Ramps are looking good too. Going to mix up a batch here this afternoon.

Morels are almost unheard of in my area of Colorado but I do know of a very small area SE of me 75 miles where they do come on if conditions are right and this year is looking promising. It only produces about once every 10 to 15 years but when it does they are abundant.

I checked my asparagus patch this AM and there are a few shoots coming up, enough for Easter dinner as I cut about a pound this morning.

Chanterelles and Hawk's Wings or Scally Urchins, I think are some of the best but come on late summer here in our mountains and I will always make a run on them unless it has been extremly dry.

I think morels are just like Mac chainsaws and teenage pussy, Highly over rated, just easy to identify.

I love Spring and all it brings if you know where to look.

My Granddad and an Old Italian Lady taught me a lot about mushrooms in the mountains but I have pushed it farther to include my area too. Meadow mushrooms and Yellow stainers, that you don't want, but look much the same. Know what you are looking for.

My Grandad always told me; "Be careful and throw away what you are not certain about. With mushrooms you can be dead right, or DEAD wrong."

He was a smart man and I have used his advise all of these years and I am still alive.

I have passed everything I know about it to my children and they are all good hunters be it game or mushrooms. FM