• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Must buy thermal!!!

mirage98

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
New Braunfels, TX
Title says it all. I went out with a buddy and now I'm hooked. He owns an HVAC company and they purchased some new FLIR gear to help detect inefficiency in home insulation. We took it out and it worked surprisingly well. During the outing we called in a total of four dogs and took them with my PVS-22. The fun part was the dogs acted invincible in the night and plain out stupid.

So, during this I definitely realized the value in thermal for detection and NVD for identification. Entire time we used the flir to detect them and when we saw a pattern (two blips hauling ass) we moved over to the NVD to confirm. I'm now in the market to plop down some cash to buy thermal. The question is - what?!

The FLIR T70 grabs my attention and the W1000. I'm leaning towards the W1000 because it's half the cost and I would use the PVS-22 as my clipon and use the thermal primarily as a handheld but like the option to clip on as a weapon sight if needed. T70 is nice as it's smaller, flexible, and more supported. However, at twice the price I can't justify it. Now - if a dealer can part with one for 10k - then it's a no brainer ;)

Thoughts from this group?

If you are looking for thermal spotter look at the FLIR M18 or M24. Top notch stuff. Also the Insight MTM. If you want a clip on look at the FLIR T70 or L3 LWTS.

For a clip-on the LWTS is the way to go. Not readily available at the moment but it outperforms the T-70 and worth the wait.

For everything else the W-1000. You can use it a hand held or weapon mount, mil-spec, rated for 308 and the detection range is the shit!!

If you are looking for thermal spotter look at the FLIR M18 or M24. Top notch stuff. Also the Insight MTM. If you want a clip on look at the FLIR T70 or L3 LWTS.

Looking for something that can serve as a handheld or weapons mount. Want the flexibility.

LWTS looks interesting and closer to the price point.

I have a great deal on a demo thermal. Give me a call, email, or PM if you are interested.

If you are going to purchase a handheld than I recommend the FLIR M18.
MMM my big annoyance on thermal clip ons is that you cannot use it effectively past 6X. I also do not like looking through them as a stand alone / handheld.
LWTS is worth the wait!
Raytheon is the best thermal available to civilians but you have to get over the fact that its big, ugly and heavier than most thermals.

If you send a PM where you are located I can let you know if we have any dealers close by to look through the Raytheon W1000 or other night vision / thermal goodies.

Last edited: