• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Must-watch war movies?

748rpilot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2023
USA
Looking for recommendations on war related or themed movies to watch. Documentaries, based-on-a-true-story or historical fiction preferred. Ideally available on Amazon Prime or Netflix, as that's all I have available.

Someone in the PortaJohn thread mentioned Fury, so I checked it out. Really good movie, I thought! Then I watched Anthropoid, which was also quite good, and a couple documentaries about the Nazis and the weird shit they got up to.

What recommends The Hide?

Come and See was excellent and pretty disturbing.

Paths of Glory

Thin Red Line

Downfall

Stalingrad (by Vilsmaier)

The Pianist

Last edited:
Master and commander
Midway
American sniper
Casualties of war
The hurt locker
Green zone
Top gun
Top gun 2
The Alamo
Hamburger hill
84 Charlie MOPIC
April morning
Rules of engagement
Three Kings
Gettysburg
Gods and generals
Free state of Jones
Flight of the intruder
Red Dawn
Rambo 2 or 3
Valkyrie
Braveheart
Turn
Four feathers
Inglorious bastards
Patton
Hunt for red October
Hunter killer
Crimson tide
Tears of the sun
Act of valor
The Patriot
The war that made America
Hornets nest
China Beach
They shall not grow old
Field of Lost shoes
Starship troopers

Last edited:
Band of Brothers. The Pacific. The Longest Day. To Hell and Back.
The longest day.

Watching the Rangers scale the cliffs on those nets. Humbling. If yor ever think youre having a bad fucking day just watch the landing.:oops:

Being of the Viet Nam era, two of my favorites are Platoon, and Apocalypse Now. Oddly both starred a Sheen.

I think Apocalypse Now is one of the all time great movies of any genre. so many memorable quotes.

“I love the smell of napalm in the morning.”

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving."

"Charlie don't surf."

“In this war, things get confused out there—power, ideals, the old morality, and practical military necessity . . . because there’s a conflict in every human heart between the rational and the irrational, between good and evil. And good does not always triumph.”

“The horror, the horror.”

Thanks for the new thread OP, I've started watching Band of Brothers again this evening, haven't watched the series in a few months...always a good show.

Anyone watched “Downfall?” It has the infamous Hitler scene that’s been used in 100’s of funny short videos.

The reviews say it’s fantastic. German language only from my understanding so have to use subtitles.

My Way - Available on Amazon Prime

A bit far fetched. But an interesting plot involving Koreans force to fight for the Japanese in Manchuria against the Russians and eventually ending up on the beaches of Normandy.

The longest day.

Watching the Rangers scale the cliffs on those nets. Humbling. If yor ever think youre having a bad fucking day just watch the landing.:oops:

The famous scene where the beach master gives Sean Connary’s Bren Carrier “a good bash”… was real. The beach master was Colin Maud.

The actual shillelagh he carried onto the beach was used in the movie. And now resides in the D-Day museum in Portsmouth, UK.

Maud was a technical advisor on the film.

Tough men!

Sirhr

All the above plus, Das Boot, 12 O'clock High, They were expendable (based on true events)

They Were Expendable was very closely based on William Lindsey White’s book of the same name. One of the first big “War bestsellers” along with Guadalcanal Diary and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo.

Also great movies!

Sirhr

Reactions: Soulezoo and Ichi
There is a sub-titled French movie called "Intimate Enemies" that was pretty good. It's about the French fighting insurgents in Algeria.

stripes
tropic thunder
mash
adventure team America the uncut edition