• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle blast shield for 50 BMG, anybody?

bellavite1

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2011
DENVER, CO
Ok folks, I am putting myself at your mercy, and I fully expect to be ridiculed for the rest of my life, but here is my problem:
I sold my last 50 when it caused (or coincided with) the onset of a bad case of vertigo that left me laying on the floor one night waiting for the world to stop spinning...
While the vertigo never left me completely I have learned to live with it, I can tell when it is coming back and can stop it in its tracks with the appropriate exercises.
I miss the big guns, so I just bought me another Barrett 99.
I did pick the 32" model, trying to put a few extra inches between the muzzle and my sinuses, but I am now, how can I put it, gun shy.
I do understand that the ideal solution would be a suppressor, but right now, after my last purchase, funds do not quite allow it, and wait times on NFA items are what they are.
So, I've been thinking about what I believe is called a "gun shield":
In my twisted imagination it would be some kind of quick-detach rail mounted shield, either in metal or in some THICK Plexiglas, that allows room for the rifle and scope while still protecting me from the over-pressure blast.
1589337386954.png

Needless to say this would be a temporary measure, while I raise funds for a QDL suppressor.
My construction abilities range from non-existing to downright pathetic, so is anyone aware of anything similar on the market?

Reactions: ARKEMAXUS
Wait for the can.

Realistically, you could make one quick and easy. It's a piece of cake to cut plex-glass with a band saw/router/jig saw/saw-zall. The problem is going to be seeing anything through your scope. By the time you cut away enough to see through I don't know that it'll do much good.

I think my temporary solution would be to cut a sheet of plywood in half, and brace it with a couple 2x4's at the front of a shooting bench to try and deflect the side blast. I've shot a barrett with their brake and it is a hell of a bunch of noise and gas. I don't know that anything short of a can is going to be worthwhile.

Hi,

They are actually pretty common in the BMG BR world.

Simplistic ones are just thick plywood sheet cut in half lengthway and cut to whatever height you desire. The cut a large U shape slot from the top down for your rifle barrel to go into.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

They are actually pretty common in the BMG BR world.

Simplistic ones are just thick plywood sheet cut in half lengthway and cut to whatever height you desire. The cut a large U shape slot from the top down for your rifle barrel to go into.

Sincerely,
Theis

As Theis said here, make one out of plywood. That's easy/cheap to do. You could even put sides on it slightly angled back to give you a little u-shape similar to the pic above. You will not get harassed by this guy, I think it's great that you are figuring out a way to get out and shoot!

Reactions: LooseGoose
Ok I said I wasn't going to give you hell but dangit... :LOL: We are getting trolled here aren't we

Hi,

Except that Ajax system has absolutely no merit in regards to muzzle blast deflection.
And here I was thinking you were looking for a serious conversation in regards BMG Muzzle Blast, suckered in once again lol..... I am out....

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: brianf
its funny, im not a recoil he-man by any means but my ar-50 didnt bother me that much.
i actually prefered that to my 1933 8mm mauser that f'ing hurt when i shot it..lol

but dont cans on 50bmg's not absorb recoil at all
so your trading some blast for recoil reduction?

no cans in NY so im just going on what i read

A simplified version, top rail mounted, of this:

By the way, thank you guys for not taking the easy shot on me! 😁 (Pun intended)

Hi,

Except that Ajax system has absolutely no merit in regards to muzzle blast deflection.
And here I was thinking you were looking for a serious conversation in regards BMG Muzzle Blast, suckered in once again lol..... I am out....

Sincerely,
Theis

Gotta admit...it was well played. I was suckered in by the medical condition and haven't had enough coffee yet to realize I was getting played. I'm out.

Reactions: THEIS
Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis
I guess I need to be more detailed in my posts...
I am talking about basic design here, I am NOT looking for body armor

I am not trying to play anybody here.
Please somebody explain why you think that?
Just because I am trying to think of a light weight detachable solution does not make me a Mall ninja...

its funny, im not a recoil he-man by any means but my ar-50 didnt bother me that much.
i actually prefered that to my 1933 8mm mauser that f'ing hurt when i shot it..lol

but dont cans on 50bmg's not absorb recoil at all
so your trading some blast for recoil reduction?

no cans in NY so im just going on what i read
I don't believe recoil to be the issue, I think it's more of a overpressure related thing (but then again it may just have been a coincidence and it was going to happen anyway even if I didn't have a 50bmg rifle).
I am looking at the Barrett qdl as potentially being a candidate due to the option of attaching a "mini brake" to it to get some recoil reduction as well.

Reactions: deersniper
It’s over pressure. So it’s hard to control.

The overpressure situation enters through your sinuses and isn’t amenable to hearing protection mitigating it.

It is more commonly an issue with people that have closes sinus pockets and/or blocked ear tubes. If you are still having vertigo issues, you may have an overpressure pocket immobilizing your ears sensitive bits. It may be treatible - tell the doctor you were exposed to impulse overpressure and see if they are able to do anything.
I did go to see a Doc when it happened, and I went through some head manipulation exercises to rearrange the inner ear.
I was taught those exercises and they keep things in check.
Is this what you are talking about when you refer to treatment?
I have thought of the sinuses being the culprit as well, since I have always been quite careful with hearing protection.
Would ear plugs in the nostrils help (serious question)?
And if so, should I indeed keep my mouth closed when firing?

Reactions: Twinsen
What is the consensus on the Barrett QDL suppressor?
Are there any more cost effective options out there that won't dislocate a shoulder?
Noise reduction is nice, but not the primary purpose of a suppressor in my case, but on the other end the mini-brake should help as well...

That helmet would do NOTHING. Just like a tinfoil hat, overpressure would spike dramatically.

I would also probably get the last 10 inches of my dick jammed up under the collar, and since Id be shooting .50, it would quickly fill with Semen. Again.

It’s why I quit the space program, and still have a wicked cough. The doctors keep prescribing me expectorants, and get mad when I don’t pick them up at the Pharmacy. I tell them they don’t know the whole story, and some shit you just don’t wanna cough up all day.
Thanks for the visual...😂
Damn this thread is going downhill pretty quick!

I wonder if some of the trolls have shot a 59 much.

I wonder if a blast shield would help that much. I think it’s a over pressure issue. Like a concision grenade going off.

I need to buy a can and AGB

if your committed to the big 50 i would try a couple rounds with the board system as mentioned above and if that doesnt do it go ahead and plunk down the $ for the suppressor and hop in line. but in that order at least you tried the cheaper option first.

unfortunately as we age (or are injured) our bodies tend to change not for the better. i used to be able to relieve the pressure in my sinuses underwater no problem up until a couple of years ago. now no matter what i do i cant clear / adjust the pressure out of my frontal sinuses for anything. scuba / free diving even in deep pools is pretty much a thing of the past for me.

i couldnt imagine having a vertigo issue. good to hear you are able to mitigate it to a degree

I wonder if some of the trolls have shot a 59 much.

I wonder if a blast shield would help that much. I think it’s a over pressure issue. Like a concision grenade going off.

I need to buy a can and AGB

I've shot a .50 a few times and it was memorable. I can only imagine a .59 ;)

• Love
I have a 24" 50BMG that wears an Armalite brake. The recoil is less than a typical 308 but the muzzle blast will make you rethink your choice to shoot it. One day I decided to stick the muzzle through a VTAC style barricade and it changed everything. It kicked less than a 308 and did not have the pressure of a 308 either.

Because of that I am seriously considering building some sort of blast shield for it.

I have a 24" 50BMG that wears an Armalite brake. The recoil is less than a typical 308 but the muzzle blast will make you rethink your choice to shoot it. One day I decided to stick the muzzle through a VTAC style barricade and it changed everything. It kicked less than a 308 and did not have the pressure of a 308 either.

Because of that I am seriously considering building some sort of blast shield for it.

haha, one of mine has a 22” barrel with an armalite brake. Like you said recoil is light, the concussion is just a riot.

I will give it a try! I wonder how big the opening can be before it negates the benefits...

Aand I popped that cherry today, INDOORS...
Yeah, there is a 100 yds indoors range that allows non magnetic 50BMG (Hornady AMAX).
So, I went and did a preliminary zero.
First and foremost kudos to Barrett: I bought a factory M99 32"/ Vortex PST II combo rifle, supposedly boresighted at the factory...
And it actually was, hitting just 1" low at 100yds.
I shot a whopping total of 5 rnds and I am happy to report that, even with the indoors setting, my world stayed nice and steady and did not start spinning again!
Maybe this whole vertigo thing was not 50BMG related after all.
How many rounds can I expect to shoot before the barrel can be considered broken in?
My last two shots stayed in a nice 1/2", so I am getting quite excited...😛
Does anyone have some chrono readings out of a 32" Barrett 99 for Hornady AMAX 750gr and PMC Bronze 660?
Now, onto the 600 yds range...

Reactions: KZP and deersniper
Guess I need to get back out and blast the 50. Can’t remember the recoil being all that bad. As far as concussion maybe a different story but as long as your not standing at a 45 to the barrel, I don’t recall it being unbearable

A bit of a revisit but there is evidence that concussion from these things can be a real issue over time.
I plan on making something like what is described above (The 1-1.5 foot tall barrier)

I started shooting a braked 50. I've been googling to see if anyone puts ear plugs in their nostrils and found this thread.

Good to see the community will jump all over someone for pretty much anything. Like 12 year olds.

• Haha
I started shooting a braked 50. I've been googling to see if anyone puts ear plugs in their nostrils and found this thread.

Good to see the community will jump all over someone for pretty much anything. Like 12 year olds.
I’ve shot a few 50’s
Nose plugs is actually a brilliant idea.

And you get to look silly as well!

I have no problem with 338 and other big cartridges but some 50’s with brakes really are quickly unpleasant.

In the the end the troll must troll though!

Reactions: Mr. Z and Twinsen
I dealt with braked 338 until I got a can. At the range, it was bearable, but annoying. In the desert, you have to lay out a tarp. A can fixed it all.

Until I can get a can on this 50, I need to figure something out. I'll try goggles and/or nose plugs and am fine with looking stupid. Right now, it feels like being slapped in the sinus or getting punched in the nose weakly. Not hard enough for a nose bleed, but hard enough to check if my nose is bleeding.

I dealt with braked 338 until I got a can. At the range, it was bearable, but annoying. In the desert, you have to lay out a tarp. A can fixed it all.

Until I can get a can on this 50, I need to figure something out. I'll try goggles and/or nose plugs and am fine with looking stupid. Right now, it feels like being slapped in the sinus or getting punched in the nose weakly. Not hard enough for a nose bleed, but hard enough to check if my nose is bleeding.
Someone needs to design a brake like the Heathen for 50’s

Couple quick questions, are you firing while breathing out or holding your breath? What brake is on your barrel & barrel length?

It's a stock DT HTI, 29" barrel bullpup. I attempt to fire at the pause, but sometimes the trigger breaks at that last little bit of breathing out before the neutral pause. So "while holding".

It's a stock DT HTI, 29" barrel bullpup. I attempt to fire at the pause, but sometimes the trigger breaks at that last little bit of breathing out before the neutral pause. So "while holding".
Ah okay, a bullpup. So that 29" barrel is actually closer to your face than other 50's with similar length. I've shot a m107a1 with a 20" barrel. Simple trick I found was to place a 50 cal ammo can a few inches in front of my face. If I didn't have it, I made sure to slowly breath out on trigger pull, like jumping into a pool.