• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake for .223 or go "naked"?

Packfan

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2021
Reno, NV
Just completed my .223 build and I am on the fence about adding a muzzle brake or just going "naked" with a thread protector. Rifle is based on an Origin action and has a 26 inch Remington Varmint contour barrel in an MPA Hybrid chassis. Weight is about 13 pounds with scope and rings (less mag and ammo).

Recoil is already pretty mild, so it may not be worth the effort and additional noise. Muzzle is threaded 5/8-24, so any brake recommended would have to fit.

Interestingly, the rifle seems to group a tad better with my Magnetospeed on the barrel. Maybe the additional weight is improving the harmonics? Could a muzzle brake have the same impact?

Any thoughts or experiences here are appreciated.

Attachments

• Origin .223 Wylde.jpg
    Origin .223 Wylde.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 264
I would never make a 13lb .223 louder by installing a brake. For what? Everything positive a brake would do is already being done by the small caliber and heavy gun. You end up adding just the negative and it’s a big one.

At a 26" barrel, you aren't going to have all that much gas pressure left, so a brake is kind of a why?
If you say the rifle shoots better with the MS on the end, perhaps you have some harmonics going on you need to address, maybe try with and without the thread protector or the thread protector spaced out with some washers etc. or a heavier / lighter thread protector.

But seriously,

With a 26" barrel in a bolt gun, throw a nice suppressor on the end and that thing will be a beauty to shoot.
The loudest part will be the SS crack from the bullet downrange.

Another suggestion of adding a suppressor if it's legal where you are/will be or adding a tuner if you can't.

VooDoo

For what? Everything positive a brake would do is already being done by the small caliber and heavy gun.
Everything great about a low recoil gun is even better when it recoils less. Balance the rifle on a fence post and watch the trace out to the 500 yard steel. Instead of a one mil jump while prone at the 100 yard line watch the hole appear in paper in real time. Shooting that 300 yard raccoon off the front porch you can see where the fur flew off instead of just seeing it drop.
It's like putting R compound tires on your sports car. Just because it was great before doesn't mean you can't make it better.

My Ruger 6.5 RPR with the factory hybrid brake moves less after breaking a shot than my wife's bare muzzle 14lb Savage .223 shooting 80gr pills. As far as brakes go, the Heathen brake seems to be the least obnoxious due to the first port being 90 degrees. The hybrid brake on my Ruger RPR isn't obnoxious to the shooter at all.

My Ruger 6.5 RPR with the factory hybrid brake moves less after breaking a shot than my wife's bare muzzle 14lb Savage .223 shooting 80gr pills. As far as brakes go, the Heathen brake seems to be the least obnoxious due to the first port being 90 degrees. The hybrid brake on my Ruger RPR isn't obnoxious to the shooter at all.
Heathen is one of my favorites.

Reactions: kthomas
Everything great about a low recoil gun is even better when it recoils less. Balance the rifle on a fence post and watch the trace out to the 500 yard steel. Instead of a one mil jump while prone at the 100 yard line watch the hole appear in paper in real time. Shooting that 300 yard raccoon off the front porch you can see where the fur flew off instead of just seeing it drop.
It's like putting R compound tires on your sports car. Just because it was great before doesn't mean you can't make it better.
I must be more noise sensitive than you. I can’t stand brakes even with double hearing pro. I would wager that everything you described could be done with a bare muzzle 13lb 223 anyhow. I don’t have one to confirm though. I guess like many things, it comes down to personal preference. Enjoy your obnoxious rifles. Lol

Originally I put a muzzle brake on mine, a 24" MTU profile Krieger, to protect the threads, but it isn't that loud that far out. I feel like the gun tracks a little nicer during recoil.

I shot my 223 braked for a little while, then just went back to bare barrel. I preferred it a little quieter and more similar in feel to match rifle. I agree with TonytheTiger though - it’s crazy how little a 223 with brake feels.

Put a brake on it and you decide. I have a brake on my 27" .223 with a Proof Comp contour barrel and it almost feels like my .22. It's very nice and barely moves. I wouldn't take it off or put a can on it. Perfect like it is.

IMG_1116.jpg

Wow. Lot's of opinions. I wasn't planning on a supressor which is why I went with a longer 26 inch barrel. My original thought was to go with nothing, but I added 5/8-24 threads just in case. I may throw the brake off my 6.5 CM on the .223 and see what I think. I heard the caliber difference shouldn't affect the performance much.

Tuner. I wouldn't run a suppressor on a 26" barrel either, but remember, most of the members either do PRS or want to.
Put a EC tuner on it.

I dont disagree. But a suppressor on a 26" rifle for anything other than the range is a little long. Also not allowed in most other non prs type matches.

Wow. Lot's of opinions. I wasn't planning on a supressor which is why I went with a longer 26 inch barrel. My original thought was to go with nothing, but I added 5/8-24 threads just in case. I may throw the brake off my 6.5 CM on the .223 and see what I think. I heard the caliber difference shouldn't affect the performance much.
You had a brake this whole time that you could just throw on the end to see if you like it or not? Good grief. Lol

The brake I have on mine is a .30 brake. It works fine.

Reactions: Gee Kay
i ran a Heathen brake on my Tac class 223 last year. it's a comp gun, why wouldnt i put a brake on it

besides the Heathen is very shooter friendly

Reactions: RFutch
All my rifles wear brakes now.

Its how I mount my QD Suppressor....:cool:

(Actually I put Flash Hiders on the .223s for QD)
And the magnums get muzzle brakes for all those A holes at the range blowing gas in my face with their .223/6mm pea shooters. APA lil bastard. Its like calling in an airstrike. Very comfortable for me for long range sessions. Others--not so much.

Well... he'll have to wait a damn year to get his supressor so in the meantime, just get a cheap brake so you can be tacticool.

Well... he'll have to wait a damn year to get his supressor so in the meantime, just get a cheap brake so you can be tacticool.

Not about “tacticool” but useful for specific use.

I run a brake on a 24" .223 and a .224V. I prefer it with a brake when I can't run a can (which in my state is illegal). When I can run a can (up in Montana), I do prefer it over just a brake (since you really don't need ear pro with a suppressed .223/.224V in an open area).

Reactions: greybeard0058
So you are saying you need permission to drive to another state with a can?

You need permission to buy one. Like I don't need permission to buy a rifle. Or handgun. Or shotgun.