• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake for 300 prc

mitchparker6

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2018
I have a 300 prc that kicks like a mule a d I would love to put a muzzle brake on it. Looking to have the local gunsmith do this. It's a custom rifle and used for hunting. What brake would you guys recommend putting on?

how much weight do you want to add?

Self timing is the easy button. no gunsmith needed.

heavy
A419 Hellfire/Match, Sidewinder
APA Little or Fat Bastard Gen 3
Insite Heathen

light
unknown munitions makes a wide variety of self timing and regular brakes that are rather light. tons of options for diameter and length/ports

I really like the SRS titanium brakes for lighter weight/hunting guns. He makes an in house one and then also the pro line that places like unknown munitions carry. I put one on my 300wsm Tikka hunting gun and it dropped the recoil by like 60%, its a cupcake to shoot now and only weighs like 2 oz and is self timing which is nice. So much so I ordered another for my 6.5CM NRL Hunter gun and its almost as effective as the 419/ACE/APA full size brakes that weight 3 times as much.

I have a 300 prc that kicks like a mule a d I would love to put a muzzle brake on it. Looking to have the local gunsmith do this. It's a custom rifle and used for hunting. What brake would you guys recommend putting on?

When hunting what do you plan to do with the brake?

They aren't pretty ,but Witt Machine brakes will be the easy button ,no threading needed,and they'll tame that wildcat down to a kitten.Give them correct measurements, and follow their instructions ....you're good to go.

They aren't pretty ,but Witt Machine brakes will be the easy button ,no threading needed,and they'll tame that wildcat down to a kitten.Give them correct measurements, and follow their instructions ....you're good to go.
this is what i'd do before running 1/2-28 threads with a 30cal

You guys think 9/16 x 24 threading would work, he has a few more options if it is possible?

You guys think 9/16 x 24 threading would work, he has a few more options if it is possible?
That leaves you with about a .025 shoulder
Pretty minimal, definitely needs a very minor thread relief on the back of the brake or do a face fit off the crown.

I would look at Witt clamp on brakes. They are custom made to fit your barrel muzzle profile. You send them the specs for the muzzle diameter.

Yup as mentioned for that thin of a barrel and it not being threaded just get a Witt clamp on. I put one on a 7mmRM that I didn’t want to thread but it kicked hard being lighter weight and the brake worked great. Just make sure to give them good measurements and install it per the instructions and you will be fine.

ETA Pic

IMG_2181.JPG

So question, why clamp on vs getting it threaded for 1/2" break? Just for my curiosity?

I wouldn't want to take anymore off an already thin barrel at the muzzle. Also cheaper.