• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake for AIAT 6.5cm

Knight6

Minuteman
Nov 29, 2012
California, USA
I'm looking for suggestions on which muzzle brake to purchase for my new AIAT 6.5cm. All previous rifles have come with a muzzle brake and I am not sure the best options for this rifle. I have liked the BO Thruster and Surefire brakes I have on other rifles. Thread is 5/8 - 24. Appreciate any help.

If you want some sort of objective testing, go to the Precision Rifle Blog and read their muzzle brake tests.

If you want opinions, there's several threads on here (some very recent) with lots of them.

IMO, there is no absolute "best".

I put a Lil Bastard on mine (AX308) in 6.5 CM and it works great. May not be the “best” but works for me.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Area 410, PVA, and APA will all be big upgrades performance wise from what you call a good brake

APA LB here. No complaints, except from the shooters to the left and right of me. :) Good brake.

Thanks all. I was thinking of the LB. welcome all the suggestions. If others have more that would be great. I will check them all out!

Dont have 6.5CM barrel for my AT but I do have APA LB II and 419 Hellfire on 6.5x47 and 260 barrels and between the two I prefer the 419. It seems to be little quieter and reduces recoil a tad more than the APA.

I like the Area 419 if going to run a can, but I also like the thunderbeast CB. I would choose the Area 419 over the thunderbeast as adapters for multiple barrels are 40.00!

Running a Heathen on my AX308 and Dt SRS , I like the easy self timing and the recoil reduction is similar if not the same as the standard AI tactical brake , except it doesn't stick out like dogs balls .
The Heathen was purchased only due to availability at the time

Dog balls you say?!:DMy AI AT has the standard AI brake, works well and now I'll get a laugh every time I shoot that rifle. Thanks! I've got a GenII LB on my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, works well but the side blast is fearsome, knocks over my coffee mug on the NEXT bench.

Reactions: M77
Show my ignorance here. What does self timing really mean?
I believe he means that a gunsmith doesn't need to time it so the ports are facing the right direction. Self-timing is just a way of saying user-indexable.

How is that vg6 Lambda working out for you?

How do you like it ?
It's the first brake I have so not much to compare it to. I will say this, it's much easier to watch the reticle through the shot with it than without it.