• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Muzzle/brake for Savage

badseed

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
California
I recently purchased a Savage FP-SR .223 and now I am stuck debating on what type of brake/compensator to put on it. I know that it is only a .223 but but hey might as well take advantage of the threaded barrel. Anyways, I have noticed that a few names seem to come up more often than others like JP tactical comp, nordic corvette, egw and pri. I am debating on buying one of these and trying to find a gunsmith to install or get something that does not require indexing like the levang linear comp. My biggest concern is getting the comp to somewhat blend with the barrel diameter. If nothing else I will just get a matching thread protector made from SAC. Does anyone have experience with any of these products or recommended a gunsmith?

Re: Muzzle/brake for Savage

pick one. there are a dozen guys on here that will do a blended one. you can buy a few indexed ones from people here. randy at R&D i think? hateCA here on the hide makes a nice one with different diameters and its thread on and locks with a ring for easy indexing. guy on Ebay sells a nice one thats like the H&K style, but 1/2 the cost of a roedale. mark will do the job you want of blending. fill out your profile with location so people can tell you who is close to you. oh and its just a 223 so its not gonna have alot of recoil to counteract

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh and its just a 223 so its not gonna have alot of recoil to counteract </div></div>
I understand, but hopefully I will get out of this restrictive state one day and be able to take full advantage of the threaded barrel. Additionally, like I said if the cost to have a brake put on is more than its worth, I will have SAC make a custom thread protector to clean up the barrel.

Just call harrel and give them all your specs including your barrel size. I'm pretty sure they will turn it down from you right from the factory. If not send it to Tom at TVP. He did mine and it came out great.

brakeinstalled.jpg

Harrel brake does not need timed. It sends gas out in a 360 degree patern so on your savage if you ever take your barrel off and put it on another weapon you won't have to have the brake re-timed.

Good luck,
Merritt

Your brake looks great but I do a lot of prone shooting and thus the 360 degree brake would kill me. Thats why I am trying to find a smith that can install one for me, properly.

I would rather just get a brake installed that does not blow out the bottom. Since it is a 223 the brake is not necessary but more of a aesthetical thing with minor benefits.

Holland makes a nice brake that is only ported on the sides and top. However, I'm with Rosenberry, prone shooting, especially with a .223 you won't even notice any additonal muzzle blast. I have a Vias on my .260 that is ported all the way around and the only way anyone will get blasted is if they are laying too close next to your barrel when it goes off. I'd worry more about which brake will perform best for your gun and less about excessive muzzle blast. DO IT!!! your .223 will recoil like a .17 HMR afterwards!!!

I have an AAC Blackout on my .308 that works very well.

One thing to think about with a ported brake is barrel harmonics. If you go ported the barrel gets pushed in two distinct directions (down and only slightly to the rear) this does a great job at what it's intention is however with it mainly pushing down it changes the characteristics of the barrel. Spiral or non directional brakes do not change barrel harmonics enought to effect accuracy.

This may or may not be a factor but I know when I put ported brakes on rifles I have to re-do load developement where as with a non directional I don't have to do anything to the load work up.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shiples1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holland makes a nice brake that is only ported on the sides and top. However, I'm with Rosenberry, prone shooting, especially with a .223 you won't even notice any additonal muzzle blast. I have a Vias on my .260 that is ported all the way around and the only way anyone will get blasted is if they are laying too close next to your barrel when it goes off. I'd worry more about which brake will perform best for your gun and less about excessive muzzle blast. DO IT!!! your .223 will recoil like a .17 HMR afterwards!!! </div></div>

You don't have a <span style="font-weight: bold">VIAS</span> brake you have a <span style="font-weight: bold">VAIS</span> brake. George VAIS is Greek not Hispanic.

Hey Merritt, how much did that Harrel brake reduce the felt recoil on your 7-08?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Merritt, how much did that Harrel brake reduce the felt recoil on your 7-08?

Thanks </div></div>

Reduced it from a decent push to my shoulder to almost the same as shooting a 22LR. I like it over a directional brake to make sure there is no push to the round one way or another coming out of the brake. With the harrel the blast goes all directions and makes sure the bullet goes straight. Only down side is you need a towel or heavy piece of cloth to keep the dust and grass from going in all directions. As usual there is no free lunch.

Good luck,
Merritt