• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake or use my can on my 5r 308

1slow01z71

Side of the barn hitter
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2012
Austin, TX
Ive finally got my 24" 5r 308 shooting the way I want with 44gr of varget under a 178 amax. Which I'm really happy with as this is the first gun I've reloaded for to get the best precision as possible.
20131028_185843_zps06cf2fa6.jpg

Problem is after 50 rounds through it my shoulder is pretty sore. Im going to get the barrel threaded but am at an impasse on what to thread on it. Eventually my griffin armament recce 7 will get approved and that will live on it but until then I eother need to get a brake on it or use my yhm 7.62 qd ti while I wait for the griffin to get released. I plan to stretch this gun on out to 300 here soon and once I'm proficient at that range I'll eventually make it out to 1k so precision is important which Im wondering how the yhm will do in that department. Its mainly lived on my 300blk which isnt exactly known for bolt gun precision so I have no idea how itll work accuracy wise.

Id just try the can first but when I get the barrel threaded if I go the brake route I want to get the smith to time it so I dont have to use shims. The griffin armament muzzle brake taper mount has a rebated rim so itll hide the shims later once that can is released from nfa jail.

Since the recce mount will be used permanently on this rifle, get it threaded and timed correctly for that.......then take it off and use your YHM until the other is approved. Or just buck up and run the peel washers like everybody else.

Yeah there is nothing wrong with using shim sets / peel washers for timing. Ours like you said are hidden by the brake so you cant even really see them. They look nice and are nice stamped stainless. They obviously come with the muzzle devices. The Recce 7's sound sweet on bolt guns. -Evan

Basically Im just anal and hate washers/shims. I had to use them to time my fortis RED on my 20" AR and it looks like crap as well as my 14.5" with a rainier arms XTC. I guess since its just temporary Ill deal with it, was just wondering if I was missing a better way to get the muzzle device timed right without using shims.

Couldn't you order one of the Taper mount Brakes separately from Griffen and have your smith mount it and time it and just run it on that until your can is approved? Granted it's not running a can you already have but it'd tame the recoil a bit to get you through to the happy day when your can is ready to bring home.

Shims are the optimal way to mount a suppressor mount.... short of having a highly skilled machinist timing the muzzle device to your barrel with expensive thread work I think you will be satisfied with the ease that shims provide. Besides our Taper Mounts have a turned area in the back of the device to aesthetically hide the shim set.
mbs41.png