• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake/ Porting

Tripalm

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2008
British Columbia
I have a Tikka stainless in 22-250 varmint rig and while I love the gun, I am unable to see any hit due to the muzzle jump/recoil. Rather than switching guns and going to something like a .204, would it be possible/plausible to port the barrel on the 22-250 to reduce muzzle jump. Other than noise, would there be a downside??

Re: Muzzle Brake/ Porting

You should join the Online SH course which talks about recoil management and loading the bipod.

I've had guns ported with little effect.

A good brake will take care of it.

Even though they are UGLY, a JP tank brake is pretty effective.

Honestly, if you get behind the gun right, you should be able to minimize recoil and see hits fairly well. The last hunting-size 22-250 I shot had much less recoil than any 260 or 243. You can't free recoil it, you have to snug into the rifle. If you shoot off a bipod and preload it with a good cheek weld, you should be able to see anything you want.

http://www.nokick.com/default.asp

http://www.eabco.com/cssmb.html

i have th jp howitzwer brake from eabco on a .308, very effective. the only possible downside other than noise is getting any limbs, snow, and other debris caught in it during a stalk, and more exotic brakes do take some time to clean the burnt powder from the muzzle out of the nooks and crannies

I have been a customer of Mag-na-Port for many years. While I know they are not a major player in the tactical markets they are one of the originators or porting and muzzle breaks. I have many and Kenny Kelly over there is a wonderful man and great smith.

I would look into it before ruling them out..