• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

muzzle brake question

tloggins

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2010
WPAFB, OH
I just recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 and I was wondering if a brake will benefit my rifle at all. If so what would be a good brake for it? Thanks in advance.

Re: muzzle brake question

Well you'll definitely notice a difference in felt recoil, at the expense of extra noise and a dust cloud around you everytime you pull the trigger(depending on the porting). But as far as picking one versus another you should take the time to go and read up on muzzle brakes there are well over 200 plus pages of info on this site alone.

It will kick slightly less, it will have quite a bit less muzzle flip and it will be quite a bit louder. Usually doesn't change accuracy but small chance it will.

I have an SPS tactical in 308. Even loading the bipods in the prone I was having a little trouble keeping sight picture while shooting 175gr rounds. My gunsmith added one of R&D's brakes and the rifle is under control.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tloggins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 and I was wondering if a brake will benefit my rifle at all. If so what would be a good brake for it? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

Badger FTE, Badger Thruster, Fat Bastard, Little Bastard, Vais, even the authentic Roedale and clones of his brake are really good.

Just watch out for the vais when shooting prone. Vais has porting all around the brake so dust will get kicked up when you shoot. All other ones have porting on top and/or sides only to minimize dust kick up.

Hope this helps

Gene

Check out the R&D brake.

I am.

rifleupdate154.jpg

Here is the break I put on. It is a Vance. It did bring down recoil a bit, But I like the look it gives. This picture it is not screwed on all the way.

I'm really happy with the brake I got from RWS on the hide. If memory serves, it was $40-45 shipped. I mailed out the money order on 02 Dec, and had the brake in hand on 08 Dec. It was a custom made brake for a 6.5mm with specific thread and taper. RWS hit every thing I specified spot on. I couldn't be happier. and getting the brake within 6 days of my mailing out the money order is nothing short of amazingly fast service.

I have used many many brakes over the years. To date the best one for me is the APA Fat Bastard. Give the guys at APA a call for more info.
Semper Fi

Thanks everyone for the input. I will do a little more research on the ones that sound best. I just needed some exerienced reviewers to give me a starting point. Thanks again.

I had our very own Mark Gordon install a Little Bastard break on my 308 FNAR. all I can say is wow, great break and great gunsmithing.