• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake question

UndFrm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
CA
Hi y'all

New to the forum and to the shooting.
I have a question regarding how to find a muzzle brake that'll fit.

I have a 308 with 1/2x28 thread but apparently most (if not all) 308 brakes are threaded at 5/8x24.
Is the threading the only thing that determines the fit? I saw one that mentioned about a "minimum diameter".
I am looking for a muzzle brake for a Howa 1500, 308 threaded at 1/2x28 and the diameter is I believe .605".

Any info regarding the sizing and things to look at would be nice.

Thank you

You need one with a 1/2x28 thread, and minimum 30 cal hole. Area 419 makes a hellfire that you can order to that standard.

Most 1/2x28 brakes are small hole for 224 calibers. Make sure you don't get one of those, otherwise you'll have an interesting range trip - the bullet may or may not pass cleanly through the opening.

Hi y'all

New to the forum and to the shooting.
I have a question regarding how to find a muzzle brake that'll fit.

I have a 308 with 1/2x28 thread but apparently most (if not all) 308 brakes are threaded at 5/8x24.
Is the threading the only thing that determines the fit? I saw one that mentioned about a "minimum diameter".
I am looking for a muzzle brake for a Howa 1500, 308 threaded at 1/2x28 and the diameter is I believe .605".

Any info regarding the sizing and things to look at would be nice.

Thank you
Thank you for the response.

Do you think thus one would be compatible?

It mentions a minimum diameter but I'm not sure why it's there. I assumed that the diameter specifically wouldn't play a role if the thread size is matched?

It mentions a minimum diameter but I'm not sure why it's there. I assumed that the diameter specifically wouldn't play a role if the thread size is matched?

That's minimum diameter of the barrel behind the threads, to make sure there's enough barrel to torque up against.
Just grab a 419 Hellfire (or hellfire match). You won't regret it. Self timing (no timing washers) and good recoil reduction.

That's minimum diameter of the barrel behind the threads, to make sure there's enough barrel to torque up against.
Just grab a 419 Hellfire (or hellfire match). You won't regret it. Self timing (no timing washers) and good recoil reduction.
Sounds good.
Issue with 419 is the local availability.
Also, for knowledge purposes, would you say a brake for 9mm with the above thread, would be safe to use for a 308 (7.62mm)?

Yup, that's why it isn't easy to find 30cal one with that threading.

If Brownells has three , there must be plenty more out there . It's not a unicorn, .

These brakes are awesome, takes 30 seconds to install and they are good to go in my book. They have the thread pitch that you need.

Reactions: Vandoogle13