• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake sand blasting scope - myth?

762libertarian

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2012
I just screwed my first muzzle brake (no name but seems to work alright, three large side vents and three small holes drilled on top) on my Tikka CTR with a 20" barrel. On top of the rifle is a K624i with a large, beautiful objective.

I've heard some gun shop chatter and seen some forum threads describing an issue of muzzle brakes accelerating sand and dust rearwards, damaging scope objectives. Over the time of 1000's of rounds, could this be an issue or is it a myth? On the one hand, it sounds kind of plausible, on the other hand, there are a lot of guys shooting relatively short rifles with muzzle brakes and large scopes.

If it were possible, the shooters would also be getting blasted in the face and almost no one would run them. Don't worry about it in your situation.

Reactions: 762libertarian