• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Muzzle brake sizing

308Dude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Northern CA
How do you decide which size muzzle brake to buy?

There's always a choice for diameter and thread count, for example 5/8"x24.

I have a 308 with final bbl dia 0.820"

Re: Muzzle brake sizing

Thanks. Also, what about the exit hole size? How much larger than the caliber should it be. Different manufacturers recommend different dimensions and some don't have a recommendation at all. Is 0.350" too big?

3/4-28 is all he sells, my 308 kicks alot more with my can than this brake, it really shines on positional shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you decide which size muzzle brake to buy?

There's always a choice for diameter and thread count, for example 5/8"x24.

I have a 308 with final bbl dia 0.820"
</div></div>

Purchase a break that can be turned down to match your muzzle. The Badger Thruster and Holland Brakes are side venting and the best choice for prone shooting. Vias also makes good brakes but you'd get a dust signature in the prone. Dont have your barrel threaded until you have the brake in hand. Some are 5/8 x 24, 5/8 x 32 and some are 11/16 x 24. The exit hole diameter needs to be .020" over the bullet diameter.

wouuld this break be ok for a .338 caliber rifle?
Thanks,
Nick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes 350 is too big</div></div>

Tech support at JP Enterprises says 308 needs 0.040" clearance. Their tactical comp (large version) has a .350 hole. I'm just reporting what I was told.

Link to JPE Tactical Comp