• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake suggestions.

Mtndog05

In training
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
Spokane WA
Anyone have experience good or bad with muzzlebrakes and more? They have a self timed two piece that looks very sleek. Also a good bit less expensive than lil bastard.

I have two rifles wearing his brakes, a 4 port one piece one inch diameter "Beast" and a slightly narrower 4 port Beast. Short of a Terminator T-3 (which is much more expensive) they are the most effective brakes I have ever run on short action calibers, ESPECIALLY at the price Nathan sells them for, they are extremely good value. I have never used his self timing two piece brakes however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtndog05
Awesome... Thank you for the info. If not mistaken they are also produced in Idaho which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Great to hear real life experience.

APA little bastard 2 is great. Forgive my lack of technical terminology but the brake spins independently from the collar (screw in section) so it's very easy to time, take on/off. No shims/crush washers. Functionality it's great and the blast is not terrible. I get more complaints from the 3x Chamber brake on my 5.56 than I do with the APA brake shooing 6.5

Plus one on the APA little bastard 2. I have one on my 260 barrel and another one on my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Ray

I did not... Nor mean to say anything against lil bastard or any other brake. I don't want anyone to think that... I have heard nothing but good reviews on the APA brakes. That is probably why I used them as a comparison. Any other less expensive but still very effective brakes worth looking at?

I just recently purchased an Area 419 Self-timing Hellfire brake, and it is straight up Awesome! It might be more than you wanna spend though.. ($165.00ish) Just thought I would throw my two bits in there..

Same here ^^. Been shooting 6.5cm from a proof carbon F for the past few months. Just put a Hellfire on last night. Going to have a few rounds through it tomorrow. Plan on checking zero and seeing the difference felt from standing.

I recently tried a 3 port .875 brakes from MBM. I'm with Fursniper...one of most effective brakes ive ever used. The APA is the standard In that size range, and been around for a long time, but always been expensive. The MBM is priced so well, i'm gonna stick with him for a while. I also like the fact that he has so many versions. 3,4,5 port, lots of diameters, and quite a few different threads. I believe he's expecting some new equipment in thw shop right around now, which will expand his capability, so he's not done innovating yet.

I love my little bastard! I use it on several rifles

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Reactions: Old-Cat
I have a preference for APA, but I don't have a wide variety of brakes there are many more muzzle brakes out there that have great reviews. See the below link for a brake review.

The Mad Scientist Brake by Josh Kunz at Patriot Valley Arms I've been pleased with.

Insight Arms Heathen Muzzle Brake has been awesome for me. Install was super easy and locked on rock solid/hasn't moved yet.
Another option for ya to consider.

Take a hard look at the APA gen 2 little bastard. I think its the best money can buy. I think there was a big muzzle brake test by Precision rifle blog, only thing it didnt seem to account for was size. But still the little bastard was one of the highest ranked. VERY effective brake. And self timed is important to me as I sometimes shoot with a suppressor, and sometimes change barrels etc etc.

Reactions: delfuego
Patriot Valley Arms Mad Scientist for me. Reasonable cost and very effective

APA Little Bastard gets the job done.

Patriot Valley Arms has a great break as well.

I've used the APA gen 1 LB, the gen 2 (self timing) LB, MPA Premium self timing brake, a no name straight side ported brake and just got the Area 419 brake. I will say that of the 3 when it comes to effectiveness they are about equal on a 6.5 creed. As for easy of use and taking on and off- APA and MPA were a pain in the ass when they got some carbon in the threads (not sure how it happened but it did). Why is that a big deal... well carbon build up can cause things to go array after a long while of shooting with a brake, so they must be clean occasionally. The side ported no name brake wasn't as effective as the APA, MPA or the Hellfire. It was immediately noticeable.
Although, I've only put 60 round through the Area 419 Hellfire, Id have to say it is my favorite of the 4. First thing I really like about it is how it attaches to the rifle. Secondly I've found it is easy to "time" than the APA or MPA brake. While non of them are "hard" to time, the Hellfire is the easiest. Then taking it off is quite simple as well.
If I had to make the choice again, I'd probably go with the Hellfire.

I use 2 different style Precision Armaments. m41 on the 308 and m11 on the 223. Then the typical seekins precision on the ar15.

Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions and first hand experience. It is the community that makes this place great.

Another vote for PVA Mad Scientist. I have two.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Have 2 Area 419 brakes, a 308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. Well made and a breeze to install and remove. Looks and works great.

Alamo Four Star brakes are awesome!

I went with the Dead Air Muzzle Break thinking I would use the KeyMo mount for my SilencerCo Hybrid and shoot it suppressed a good bit. I have not shot it suppressed since I put the muzzle break on. I have not been disappointed with the performance as felt recoil is about the same between the Hybrid direct threaded and the muzzle break. But, it has left me wondering what my rifle would shoot like with an APA/PVA/Area419 break on the end.

Plus one for Area 419's Hellfire. I run one of these and have used and installed APA LB2. Having installed and shot the APA prior to buying a break I was leaning towards it. Then I read up on the Hellfire. Since Area 419 has a "system" in which the brake and certain suppressors thread left handed onto an adapter that can be had for several rifles in a collection, and seeing that the Hellfire threaded onto it and locked into a machine taper, I bought it.
I use a SilencerCo Harvester Suppressor. Area 419 makes the thread-in back for this and other suppressors, like Thunderbeast, to thread onto the adapters. So you can easily use your can on several different rifles. There are also thread protectors available for the adapters. It was an easy choice for my purpose, and one I definitely do not regret making. I will be buying more from Area 419 in the future.

Just mount an M11 SEVERE DUTY MUZZLE BRAKE 762MM-308CAL on my AT 6.5 Creedmoor. It is great and makes my rifle recoil as a .22LR rifle.

Another vote for the Area 419 Hellfire. Awesome brake, installs and functions great.

I've mentioned this before, but I'm dead sold on the BFF self timing brake. I've put them on everything now. They are very similar to the elusive JEC brakes, but self-timing. No blowback, no muzzle rise, great recoil reduction, and excellent ground signature. They are almost the perfect combination of all important aspects of a muzzle brake. Everyone I've turned them on to loves them and I guess the swat sniper team for the area starting switching to them as well.

The only muzzle brake I like slightly more, and only for larger magnum calibers is the Hollands radial baffle design, but it is not self timing. I say all of this having tried damn near every brake I could get my hands on in the last 2 years.

I just recently purchased an Area 419 Self-timing Hellfire brake, and it is straight up Awesome! It might be more than you wanna spend though.. ($165.00ish) Just thought I would throw my two bits in there..

I have been very happy with my 419 brake as well.

Nine months after the fact, pretty sure he's already purchased a brake...but nothing like reviving an old thread...