• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake Thread Pitch Change

RNWRKNP

Sophisticated Redneck
Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2017
    PHX, AZ
    My 300RUM Sendero currently wears a Vais brake with a 1/2-32 thread pitch. Is it possible to change the thread pitch to accept an alternate *180 discharge brake without having to cut the barrel and re-crown?

Appreciate your assistance and thanks.

Change the thread, no. You could find the desired brake in the 1/2-32 pitch of course. Probably easier to just have it cut off/re-threaded to accommodate your brake of choice.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
    Change the thread, no. You could find the desired brake in the 1/2-32 pitch of course. Probably easier to just have it cut off/re-threaded to accommodate your brake of choice.

Thanks for the feedback. Are you aware of a good brake with that pitch?

You could go up in size and use a bushing. Down, or near same size but different pitch is going to require machining.

No, that’s rather small for a 30 cal on a heavy barrel. I’d personally have it threaded 5/8-24, which would open up just about every brake imaginable. Since you’re interested in a side venting brake, indexing by a gunsmith will be required unless you plan to use a self timed brake like the area 419, or apa gen 2 bastard brake.

Did you pull the trigger on that and did it work?

Not yet. I have other "projects" and this hasn't been a priority. I would probably use Rocksett this adapter to the inside of a 5/8x24 brake after indexing it properly. Alternatively, I would use a Badger FTE brake that has a clamping mechanism to put pressure on the adapter sleeve and index the brake.

No, that’s rather small for a 30 cal on a heavy barrel. I’d personally have it threaded 5/8-24, which would open up just about every brake imaginable. Since you’re interested in a side venting brake, indexing by a gunsmith will be required unless you plan to use a self timed brake like the area 419, or apa gen 2 bastard brake.

I'll second that. It really should have never been anything smaller than 5/8x24. Just get a good 'smith to cut off the threaded portion and re-thread to 5/8x24 and index for your brake.

I'll second that. It really should have never been anything smaller than 5/8x24. Just get a good 'smith to cut off the threaded portion and re-thread to 5/8x24 and index for your brake.

Roger that. Damn it sucks not knowing what you don’t know but then that’s one of the reasons that I joined SH? That’s my Flaggstaff coyote gun.? Only thing I really did wrong was the brake? steel has been cryo’d, speed lock in the bolt and 2# Timney. Nothing compared to what you guys have done but she’s a 1/2 MOA magnum.