• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

muzzle brake vs mercury recoil reducer

jdutton24

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
alabama
i was planning on putting a muzzle brake on my savage 110 fcp in 300 win mag but a fiend suggested mercury recoil reducer. that way i coudl shoot the weapon without hearing protection if need be (hunting) so im wondering what would u do? im not a fan of drilling into the stock so...

Re: muzzle brake vs mercury recoil reducer

No doubt about it, a muzzle brake is going to better at taking felt recoil away over a mercury reducer. IMHO you can get the same effect of the mercury reducer by just adding weight.
You could always take the brake off while hunting and replace it with a thread protector but hunting is no excuse for not wearing some sort of hearing protection.

If you want recoil reduction and to save your hearing a suppressor is the only way to go. I know nothing about the mercury recoil reducer but after a quick google search it looks like a waste of money. I find it hard that it could do much if anything.

thanks guys... i guess ill just order an badger fte brake or holland.

mercury does more than just add weight, it spreads the recoil out overa longer period of time therefore reducing the kick/second

Just be aware that airlines will not allow your rifle on board with mercury inside it.

Anyone know what the size I would need? Its a factory heavy barrel savage 110 fcp 300

Is this the 110fcp in 300wm with the HS precision tactical stock?
If yes, I'd like to see pics, know cost, and where you got it.

And wear hearing protection, buy Howard leights electronic muffs for $50, I use them coyote hunting, they work and are inexpensive.

The badger fte needs to be installed by a smith, the barrel needs to be threaded and sleeved.

I recommend GAP, the brake is $150, my smith would charge me $175 to put that on.
GAP charges $250 total, for the brake and installation, my gun is there now having this done, they are also cutting my barrel to 18". Great price and you know it's done right.

Yeah it is. Ill try to get some pics up of it

So it doesn't come with a brake, I think a lot of guys were hoping to see it set up like the 338.

No it doesn't come with the brake and rail like on the 338. It comes in @ 9 pounds.

The mercury type reducers work very well in shotguns but I've never seen one in a rifle. I agree with above the brake will be more efficient of the two.

Just built a 300 wm and we put a mecrury recoil reducer and other then the weight gain i really don't think it made any differnce at all. Brake it!!

A properly engineered muzzle brake actually reduces recoil because it uses the gases being pushed out the end of the barrel during firing to, in effect, pull the gun forward against the the recoil going backward, where the other is simply a damper that essentially just spreads the recoil out over a period of time so the shock of recoil is felt more like a push instead of a punch.

That's the theory anyway...Some work better than others...in both categories...If you are truly looking to reduce recoil I'd go with a good muzzle brake...

Also...as another poster said...you should wear hearing protection brake or no brake...hunting or not...Invest in a good seat of dynamic muffs...even the expensive ones are thousands cheaper than a good set of hearing aides.