• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake vs Supressor

SlowMiss6.5

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2024
South West
Currently shooting a harvester 300 (integrated muzzle brake at the end) and wondering how much benefit I’d see from a recoil reduction standpoint by going to a brake. 6.5 creedmoor. This is for positional/barrier style shooting where you can’t load into the rifle very much

Anyone have any info or data?

If you have muzzle brake recommendations, I’d also appreciate that! Looking for low concussion (I’ve seen the muzzle brake data from the Canadian dude and was thinking Ace)

My suppressors work differently on various guns. Some seem to like them, others don't. I love the noise reduction, the "crack" of the bullet leaving the barrel is definitely less, as is the recoil. They do change the physical balance of the gun. So much that I don't use them on my AR's The added weight and change of center of gravity makes them unwieldly IMO. The heat generated by AR style shooting makes them VERY hot.

My rifle loves it Makes it a much more pleasant gun to shoot.

If you want the benefits of both, look into TBAC's new offerings.

I run the Abel Co Biscuit, and find that it has a more pleasurable recoil impulse than traditional suppressors. It doesn't suppress as well as a large volume suppressor, but it does the job decently well and allows you to get back on target quickly.

Nothing is going to beat a muzzle brake for pure recoil reduction, if that's the ultimate goal. Some suppressors are better than others, and there's innovations coming out to improve suppressors from that standpoint.

Personally, I much prefer shooting suppressed over braked. I'll take that slight penalty in recoil, but solid technique and foundations can help you drive the rifle with a suppressor more effectively as well.

I went through this whole thing when I started shooting matches. I’ve always shot suppressed and much prefer it. But man, a brake sure makes it easier to spot impacts. You can do it suppressed for sure, it’s just much easier with a brake.

I also wanted something with lower concussion. I went with the Ace and I’m a big fan. To me it’s very comfortable to shoot and reduces recoil plenty enough for me. I’d be curious to try some of the cans that have the brakes though and compare. In my mind, that seems like a good compromise.

My imaginary confirmation biased mental data tells me that my can is about half as effective as a good brake at recoil reduction.

If you want to free recoil off awkward barricades and watch your spots on a gamer gun a brake will do a better job.

Personally, I find them miserable to shoot and I’d rather enjoy shooting and for me the better option is to focus more on spotting shots through fundamental work and improvement and me doing a better job not sucking at shooting. Kind of like me pulling back from a 25 pound rifle to 18-20 for prs.

Granted that’s easier to accept win I’m already doing a great job not winning as is

My imaginary confirmation biased mental data tells me that my can is about half as effective as a good brake at recoil reduction.

If you want to free recoil off awkward barricades and watch your spots on a gamer gun a brake will do a better job.

Personally, I find them miserable to shoot and I’d rather enjoy shooting and for me the better option is to focus more on spotting shots through fundamental work and improvement and me doing a better job not sucking at shooting

Being square behind the rifle, having a proper natural point of aim, along with other fundamentals will allow shooters to more optimally shoot suppressed in matches.

I find that if I focus on those things, a suppressor doesn't hinder me at all.

But for pure competitive advantage, nothing will beat a muzzle brake - if that's your #1 goal.

I went through this whole thing when I started shooting matches. I’ve always shot suppressed and much prefer it. But man, a brake sure makes it easier to spot impacts. You can do it suppressed for sure, it’s just much easier with a brake.

I also wanted something with lower concussion. I went with the Ace and I’m a big fan. To me it’s very comfortable to shoot and reduces recoil plenty enough for me. I’d be curious to try some of the cans that have the brakes though and compare. In my mind, that seems like a good compromise.
Sounds like where I am at. Originally got a suppressor after using a muzzle brake while hunting without ear pro. I will always hunt with a suppressor but now that I’m trying PRS out with a PRS dedicated rifle, I’m wondering if a brake like Ace will make a big difference.

How much easier is it to spot impact for you with the Ace vs the suppressor?

Literally exactly what I went through. I’m too young to have the hearing problems I do lol. I will always hunt with a suppressor as well. It’s sooo much better. I shot my PRS gun suppressed for a little too before I decided which brake and it really wasn’t a problem. Spotting impacts didn’t seem to be the problem, it was more being able to say exactly where the bullet hit every time from every position. Sometimes it was like oh yeah I saw the bullet hit the target but I couldn’t tell exactly where on the plate.

Like the gentlemen above have said, if you’re doing things right it shouldn’t be a big problem. It’s my opinion that shooting suppressed will make you have to do things right to be able to see what you need to see. If you switch to a brake later it’ll feel easy. At least that’s been my experience. Interfacing with the gun the same way I would suppressed but with a brake I feel like I can see more, easier.

Sounds like where I am at. Originally got a suppressor after using a muzzle brake while hunting without ear pro. I will always hunt with a suppressor but now that I’m trying PRS out with a PRS dedicated rifle, I’m wondering if a brake like Ace will make a big difference.

How much easier is it to spot impact for you with the Ace vs the suppressor?
I had an Area419 Hellfire Match brake on a 6.5CM (sold it because of the concussion and I just love shooting suppressed). When shooting groups at 100yds on 25x, the POA moved only a few inches (in real world distance) from the POI. Extremely effective at reducing recoil—and this on a probably 15lb or less rig, shooting from a bipod and rear bag without any loading.

I had an Area419 Hellfire Match brake on a 6.5CM (sold it because of the concussion and I just love shooting suppressed). When shooting groups at 100yds on 25x, the POA moved only a few inches (in real world distance) from the POI. Extremely effective at reducing recoil—and this on a probably 15lb or less rig, shooting from a bipod and rear bag without any loading.
Good to know. I have heard those brakes are rough on the shooter. I’ve heard AST are another solid brake

Reactions: Bluedog82
For a large magnum, I'd lean towards a brake, but for a caliber 6.5 or smaller, definitely a suppressor.

Reactions: SlowMiss6.5