• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Muzzle brakes and end barrel carbon build up

problemchild

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Do all muzzle brakes leave a large amount of lava hard carbon build up on the end of your barrel? LMT just emailed and said there was a substantial amount of carbon build up on my barrel that would cause loss of accuracy. They suggested only using the included flash device. I really do not want to R&R the brake every 100 rounds to scrape the barrel crown. One slip and your barrel needs a recrown.

Re: Muzzle brakes and end barrel carbon build up

You will encounter the crusty with a brake. No biggie tho. What I have found that works for me is after every match I soak the barrel with Wipeout, shooting it in through the breech, and letting it soak overnight.

What got me hooked on Wipeout, was after a while, I was noticing how clean my brake was. My simple logic tells me the inside of the barrel must be that clean too. About every 5th match I'll run some CR10 down the pipe just for GP.

Another lil trick I use on my brake is I smashed a 30-06 case flat and put a bevel on it with a stone, and right after I patch the Wipeout out of the bbl, I scrape the now semi softened carbon out. I don't know what brake you are running, but my crown is spotless. You can also push a stiff nylon brush through the vanes/ports after soaking.

With carbon, if you stay on top of it, it aint really a problem.

JP brake.

What brake do you run? Would the SF brake reduce carbon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heavy Haulin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will encounter the crusty with a brake. No biggie tho. What I have found that works for me is after every match I soak the barrel with Wipeout, shooting it in through the breech, and letting it soak overnight.

What got me hooked on Wipeout, was after a while, I was noticing how clean my brake was. My simple logic tells me the inside of the barrel must be that clean too. About every 5th match I'll run some CR10 down the pipe just for GP.

Another lil trick I use on my brake is I smashed a 30-06 case flat and put a bevel on it with a stone, and right after I patch the Wipeout out of the bbl, I scrape the now semi softened carbon out. I don't know what brake you are running, but my crown is spotless. You can also push a stiff nylon brush through the vanes/ports after soaking.

With carbon, if you stay on top of it, it aint really a problem.
</div></div>

Calling BULLSHIT on that reply. When I removed the OEM flash supressor there were literaly mounds of carbon build up. I soaked the muzzle in solvent overnight and still had to scrape it off with a wood chisle.

Not saying it dosnt happen just saying theirs (LMT) does it too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JP brake.

What brake do you run? Would the SF brake reduce carbon?
</div></div>

I run a Badger Ord FTE. JP would be just as easy to keep clean.

Anchor Zero Six - I'll call your bullshit, and raise you one.
laugh.gif

Heres a quick pic of my brake. I shot a match this weekend, and have over 100 rds down the pipe w/o cleaning so take a looksy at the brake and crown.

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

LOL all good.

I have run the FTE myself as well as the AI from which the FTE was cloned. Since both are secured with a cross bolt its not a big deal to simply remove the brake.

Problemchilds JP brake would be much more difficult to remove each time as well as you not supposed to reuse the crushwashers (I admit I have though).

R&D precision (HateCA) makes one that attaches with a cross (pinch?) bolt similar to the FTE. May be worth looking at if it becomes routine to need to remove for cleaning.

I fuckered myself since my BABC is pinned and welded on
frown.gif

Bro, I don't remove the brake to clean it. That brake has seen over 4K rounds, and has only been off twice. Once was to change the barrel.

Thats why I swear by Wipeout. If you spray it in through the breech, all the foam will gather in the brake. I just rest my rifle level, and let it soak over nite. Occasionally, Ill run the brass case tool i made over it, or scrub a lil w a nylon brush. THATS IT! Muzzlebrakes are easy to clean, if you know how to do it. GM Top engine cleaner works good too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do all muzzle brakes leave a large amount of lava hard carbon build up on the end of your barrel?

</div></div>
I had a Lawton action with their screw on brake, and it did collect carbon on the end of the barrel really bad. I now have a Sako and it doesn't seem to collect on the barrel nearly as much. Here is why, on the Lawton, the barrel ended before the first port, and on the Sako the barrel and the first port are almost flush, so the muzzle blast has some place to go, similar to the pictures on this thread. It is something to keep in mind when shopping for a brake.
SScott

I cut the top off a 4oz. solvent bottle and fill it half way with Butch's Bore shine. While I'm cleaning the lower I put the muzzle in the bottle and let it soak for 10 min or so. No carbon build up.