• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brakes, clean or not.

Vin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2004
Hope this is not a stupid question but who out there cleans their muzzle brake on a 308.Is it necessary? The reason I ask is that some guys never clean their rifles either or only after hundreds of rounds when they say accuracy declines. Thanks.

Re: Muzzle Brakes, clean or not.

Yes, you will need to clean your muzzle brake after 500-1000 rounds. There will be build up on the baffles that will need to be cleaned off.

I clean the inside of the barrel after a few hundred rounds as well. And when I do clean it, I only run a few patches through it. Look back through some old threads and there's lots of cleaning topics and discussions.

some brakes with lots of little orifices like a vias and answer start to plug up w/carbon and powder residue forcing a decline in efficacy ......read more pronounced recoil......they then require a soak in some sort of carbon reducer to clear the holes.

Thx for the info. Any recommendations on what work best to clean a brake, especially for built up carbon.

Slip 2000, I just drop it in for about 10 minutes while Im doing something else. Works great on the copper and has not eaten durcoat or cerakote off of parts.

I always take mine off to clean my rifles after a days shooting. So when I do, just drop it in a small container of solvent while I clean the rifle and they are good to go. Hassle free.