• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brakes

Schw15

Longrange
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    What are you guys running for 300 norma and 338 norma/lapua? Looking for best recoil reduction. Right now I've been shooting suppressed and switch to area 419 sidewinder brake. I feel like I could get more reduction though for certain matches.

Looking at

MBM- super beast ll or big beast ll
    SRS his 5 port
    Ryan pierce muscle brake

Those seem to be the better ones or if I'm missing any?

APA Gen 3 on my 300NM and 300WM and I have the APA GEN 2 on my 338LM. They Gen 3 is better than the Gen 2 for felt recoil. I also run the Gen 3's on my 6.5CM and 6CM. Check out their web site.

Reactions: Schw15
    APA Gen 3 on my 300NM and 300WM and I have the APA GEN 2 on my 338LM. They Gen 3 is better than the Gen 2 for felt recoil. I also run the Gen 3's on my 6.5CM and 6CM. Check out their web site.
    Does those top ports really help will recoil and jump?

I leave all the screws in cause I don't have an issue the recoil or jump. I have talked to guys that say they do and you can leave some hole closed to to help tune the barrel a bit.

Reactions: Schw15
    I've got APA Gen 2, Gen 3, Hellfire, and Hellfire Match. All are solid and would be more than enough for any 300. I like the APAs quite a bit, but the Hellfire brakes time a whole lot easier - though they are also a little wonkier on the install.

Reactions: category_theory
    I have 2 of the MBM super beast 2,

I do like them more than the APA GEN 2 , and GEN 3 APA that I have.

1 condition, don't have anyone sitting next to you when shooting at the range or while hunting/ spotting. Its great for the shooter but the partner will definitely feel it and hear it.

I've got APA Gen 2, Gen 3, Hellfire, and Hellfire Match. All are solid and would be more than enough for any 300. I like the APAs quite a bit, but the Hellfire brakes time a whole lot easier - though they are also a little wonkier on the install.
    I love my area 419 system I run the suppressor mount and can switch to sidewinder in seconds.

There on sale too which is a plus. I like there design wish area 419 would have a 5 port brake

Doesn't the apa gen 3 time up like the area 419 minus the attachment and the lock recess

The 419 is like a flashbang going off next to you. I dont even use them anymore there is so much concussion if you are under cover its like getting hit in the head with a hammer after a day of shooting.

The APA Gen 3 are self timing, like most of the modern brakes

How is shooting these big magnums with a can. Is the recoil manageable? I had a very light 300 Win Mag (not exactly an ELR) that was very unpleasant (Naked, no can or brake, but a break tamed her right down). Moving up to the Normas makes my shoulder very very nervous without a brake.

Apologies for sidetrack, as Silenced Shooting is indeed Golden--personally enjoy it very much over shooting braked.

How is shooting these big magnums with a can. Is the recoil manageable? I had a very light 300 Win Mag (not exactly an ELR) that was very unpleasant (Naked, no can or brake, but a break tamed her right down). Moving up to the Normas makes my shoulder very very nervous without a brake.

Apologies for sidetrack, as Silenced Shooting is indeed Golden--personally enjoy it very much over shooting braked.

Very pleasant. More recoil then a brake but way less than bare muzzle. Def more of a push than a slam impulse...

Reactions: DocRDS and Schw15

Norma's are pussycats.

Suppressing something like a 375 Cheytac is a bit of a different story.

Doesn't the apa gen 3 time up like the area 419 minus the attachment and the lock recess

Similar, but the big difference is that the APA will migrate a little bit when you tighten it. The 419 brakes really don't move at all, but they are bit more of a pain to remove. I use a strap wrench on them, where a standard open-ended is used for the APA.

For the 30 and 338 most of the current muzzlebrakes do a decent job.
    On the larger calibers stuff with the huge barrels nobody seems to make a decent brake.
    Most have way to small of threads and the most important area being the surface area is also way too small.
    The manufacturers want it to look good rather than doing what it's there to do.
    Also the market is rather small on the big stuff so there isn't as much incentive.
    1.25 or 1.5 inch threads and a clamshell 4 or more inches wide to keep the diameter out of the scopes view doesn't appeal to the masses.

I had the pva brake then sidewinder. I think sidewinder is better. I appreciate the info seems like apa gen 3 or mbm super beast ll are what it's coming down too

Yea much rather shoot with a can than a brake. More recoil but much more pleasant to shoot. Its why i went with the Magnus for my 300nm
    Not sure how it'll handle large magnums but I went with both; A419 Maverick. I've had it on my 300wsm and now it just stays on my 6.5CM; I can easily spot my own shots and much less blast then just a brake.

Reactions: Taylorbok
    What are you guys running for 300 norma and 338 norma/lapua? Looking for best recoil reduction. R

Those seem to be the better ones or if I'm missing any?

Coming late to the party but

You may wish to check out Spearhead Machine they have a brake designed for ELR that fits your bill. I am waiting to get my grubby little hands on it for my 300wsm; currently run a MBM superbeast. Spearhead's is larger dia and incorporated a top port for more brake and vertical control.

Cheers
    Trevor

On my 300prc, I've tried 419 Hellfire Match, 419 Sidewinder, EC Tuner Brake and MBM Super Beast. I found the MBM to work the best in terms of recoil mitigation. EC tuner brake comes a close second.

So are you claiming a EC tuner brake works better than an a419 sidewinder ?

Are you also claiming the EC tuner brake is close in terms of performance to a MBM super beast ?

Reactions: LCM_JK