• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brakes.

andersonman22

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
California
Ive Been doing research on muzzle brakes. I see some that costs around 100 dollars.. then I see some 200 plus.

In your opinion, is there a big difference in the more expensive muzzle brakes rather than a less expensive?

Btw it is gonna be put on a 308 rifle, I want something that will let me stay on target after I shoot.

Thanks.

Re: Muzzle brakes.

I had a Vias on my 308 and LOVED it. Bobby Hart put it on for me and the follow up shots were quick. I could see my hits at 100 yds with it. Only downfall is that when I was hog hunting, it blew the S**t out of anything and everything that I shot over. I was always cleaning my gun off after the shot:p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thedudeabides</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Btw it is gonna be put on a 308 rifle, I want something that will let me stay on target after I shoot.
</div></div>

Try proper form.

I'm a novice shooter, so I'm partially ignorant to what proper form is. I shoot off a benchrest with my left hand on my rifle stock as a cheek rest. I have the stock firmly pressed against my shoulder, but not hard enough to stress my muscles while I try to shoot accurately.

I'm also shooting only a 20 inch barrel.

Check out this thread.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2823171&page=1

Ross (RWS) makes really good effective brakes while being affordable. There was a post on that thread the Ross got hurt in September. But if he's back and making muzzle brakes, he's what I'd recommend.

Badger Thruster is a good second choice if Ross isn't available. Have that on my .308

I recently bought the JP Muzzle Brake for my .308. It really helped keep me on target. I was shooting balloons at 400 yards and I could see them popping no problem. I don't have any experience with other brakes, so I can't comment. Definitely worth it in my opinion.

Two things to keep in mind with a brake.
1.) Some blow the gas/concussion back towards you, which I find very distracting, so I opt not to use those type.
2.) Those with ports that encompass the entire brake, as mentioned, can blow junk up everywhere.

Take a look at the Badger FTE, Very effective, no down facing ports for prone shooting, can be removed to attach a suppressor (although not in Kalifornia) and removeable for cleaning.

Since you mentioned that you were a novice shooter. My recommendation is for you to spend that 100 or 200 dollars on ammo.

But if you want to look badass and "stay on target", surefire makes an awesome brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two things to keep in mind with a brake.
1.) Some blow the gas/concussion back towards you, which I find very distracting, so I opt not to use those type.
2.) Those with ports that encompass the entire brake, as mentioned, can blow junk up everywhere. </div></div>

+1

Using a brake can be a matter of etiquette/range manners.

Normally I don't have any issue with brakes (my AW has one)....but I was shooting next to a guy on Sunday (and I don't know what sort of brake it was) but every time he fired the corner of my mat lifted and folded over my rifle.

Distracting?....What do you think??

Just to give you some idea...this was a foam filled and nylon Arktis mat....not a thin groundsheet!

To be fair he did ask if I minded him using the brake before he started. But it was way more than I'd expected or experience before.

If I'm honest, it did get to be a bit of a pi$$ off by the 15th time!

Get a brake or a suppressor if you want to stay on target.

If your gun is pretty heavy like an M24 you can stay on target with proper form but even then you would have less muzzle movement and rise with a brake or can.

Less movement is better because in the event you don't have a spotter you will be able to spot your own round (or its impact) more of the time with less disturbance of your scope.

The only caveat is brakes make the gun louder so ear protection is more critical in hunting situations. A brake can leave your ears ringing for 5 days and that's deffinitely some permanent hearing damage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thedudeabides</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a novice shooter, so I'm partially ignorant to what proper form is. I shoot off a benchrest with my <span style="font-weight: bold">left hand on my rifle stock as a cheek rest</span>. I have the stock firmly pressed against my shoulder, but not hard enough to stress my muscles while I try to shoot accurately.

I'm also shooting only a 20 inch barrel.</div></div>

Don't do the bold. Get a stock pack if the stock comb height isn't high enough for you to get a proper sight picture through the scope. Or atleast cut up a mouse pad and duct tape it on there to give you height if you didn't want to spend the money on a stock pack until you know if it will work.

Also make a rear bag. You can just fill a sock with some rice to get a feel for a rear bag but if you plan on making one with the sock, which is perfectly fine, then use some poly pellets so it won't get ruined if wet or attract rodents or bugs. Use that rear bag, which is what your left hand will be squeezing to adjust the rifle's point of aim, and stabilize the rifle. Try it. It will be more stable and with good follow through keep you on target better.