• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Muzzle Break ? never seen asked

Pygmycoho1

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2009
North texas
Why thread the barrel then thread on the break. I know some are made to come off. But lots of them are made to blend in and aren't easily used with a suppressor. Seems like it would be quicker and more accurate to machine it with the barrel as one unit. The bullet would be supported the entire barrel length. But its not done, so why. Most people don't shoot out a barrel but I guess that would be one reason, ability to remove and put on your next barrel.

Re: Muzzle Break ? never seen asked

Here in Pennsylvania I do more in the barrel than threaded on. Mostly on hunting guns. I think the biggest reason is a lot of ranges don't allow brakes during competitions.

JDJ's "Mag-Na-Port" is a integral brake as you describe. With four ports, it mainly reduces muzzle rise. Which is significant on the big boomer hunting rifles. Without an expansion chamber, the reduction in recoil per-se is only in the 25 to 30 percent range. The EDM process helps to allow venting without harming the bullet due to machining mistakes. If the rifle muzzle is big enough to allow back boring with a clean internal crown and fitting of a proper exit plug with a minimal clearance hole, then it could be done. It is however an easier and less problematical to fit a brake that is machined separately and thread it on. Plus as you pointed out, it can be moved to an replacement barrel.

Definitions of break on the Web:

interrupt: terminate; "She interrupted her pregnancy"; "break a lucky streak"; "break the cycle of poverty"
become separated into pieces or fragments; "The figurine broke"; "The freshly baked loaf fell apart"
render inoperable or ineffective; "You broke the alarm clock when you took it apart!"
ruin completely; "He busted my radio!"
transgress: act in disregard of laws, rules, contracts, or promises; "offend all laws of humanity"; "violate the basic laws or human civilization"; "break a law"; "break a promise"
move away or escape suddenly; "The horses broke from the stable"; "Three inmates broke jail"; "Nobody can break out--this prison is high security"
scatter or part; "The clouds broke after the heavy downpour"
force out or release suddenly and often violently something pent up; "break into tears"; "erupt in anger"
prevent completion; "stop the project"; "break off the negotiations"
break in: enter someone's (virtual or real) property in an unauthorized manner, usually with the intent to steal or commit a violent act; "Someone broke in while I was on vacation"; "They broke into my car and stole my radio!"; "who broke into my account last night?"
break in: make submissive, obedient, or useful; "The horse was tough to break"; "I broke in the new intern"
violate: fail to agree with; be in violation of; as of rules or patterns; "This sentence violates the rules of syntax"
better: surpass in excellence; "She bettered her own record"; "break a record"
unwrap: make known to the public information that was previously known only to a few people or that was meant to be kept a secret; "The auction house would not disclose the price at which the van Gogh had sold"; "The actress won't reveal how old she is"; "bring out the truth"; "he broke the news ...
come into being; "light broke over the horizon"; "Voices broke in the air"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Definitions of brake on the Web:

a restraint used to slow or stop a vehicle
any of various ferns of the genus Pteris having pinnately compound leaves and including several popular houseplants
bracken: large coarse fern often several feet high; essentially weed ferns; cosmopolitan
stop travelling by applying a brake; "We had to brake suddenly when a chicken crossed the road"
an area thickly overgrown usually with one kind of plant
cause to stop by applying the brakes; "brake the car before you go into a curve"
anything that slows or hinders a process; "she wan not ready to put the brakes on her life with a marriage"; "new legislation will put the brakes on spending"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
A brake is a device that decelerates a moving object such as a machine or vehicle by converting its kinetic energy into another form of energy, or a device which prevents an object from accelerating.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake
Brakes are used on the vehicles of railway trains to slow them, or to keep them standing when parked. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_(railway)
A brake is a metalworking machine that allows the bending of sheet metal. A cornice brake only allows for simple bends and creases, while a box-and-pan brake also allows one to form box and pan shapes. It is also known as a bending machine or bending brake.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_(sheet_metal_bending)
A brake, also spelled break, was a type of horse-drawn carriage used in the nineteenth and early 20th centuries. It was a large or small, open-topped, straight-bodied pleasure vehicle with four wheels, designed for country use. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_(carriage)
Brake is the district seat of Wesermarsch district in the administrative region (Regierungsbezirk) of Weser-Ems in Lower Saxony in northern Germany.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_(Unterweser)
Brake is a British national road safety charity. It is based in Huddersfield.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_(charity)
Brake (Unterweser) is the name of a railway station serving the town of Brake in the German state of Lower Saxony.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_(Unterweser)_station
Brake is a surname of English origin and may refer to: * Brian Brake (1927-1988), New Zealand photographer * Patricia Brake (b. 1942), English television actress * Tom Brake (b. 1962), British politician * Colin Brake (b. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_(surname)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be sort of expensive to should the smith screw things up a bit too.

Good in theory, is that a nice summary?

/Chris </div></div>

One of the guys in our class did this on a rifle project (.416 Ruger).

He spent a bunch of time boring out the 'expansion chambers' in the already rifled barrel, then milling through to them from the outside.

Obviously, it would take him a lot less time the next time, but...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be sort of expensive to should the smith screw things up a bit too.

Good in theory, is that a nice summary?

/Chris </div></div>

One of the guys in our class did this on a rifle project (.416 Ruger).

He spent a bunch of time boring out the 'expansion chambers' in the already rifled barrel, then milling through to them from the outside.

Obviously, it would take him a lot less time the next time, but... </div></div>

Do you know how he managed to get a good crown on the barrel?

Still it´s a bit like shearing a pig, a lot of work for a very small benefit.

/Chris

exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the info guys.

I never thought of the expansion chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do you know how he managed to get a good crown on the barrel?

Still it´s a bit like shearing a pig, a lot of work for a very small benefit.

/Chris </div></div>

He did the boring of the expansion chambers with a custom ground tool.

The 'crown' is essentially the opening to the first of the expansion chambers.
So, as he brought the tool out radially to cut the expansion chamber it's like cutting a crown I suppose.

Of course it couldn't be subsequently deburred as it could be at the end of the barrel.

But it would be concentric and square to the bore line which are the most important things as I understand it.

I suppose the rifles purpose as a Dangerous Game rifle that he hopes to take to Africa means that it doesn't need to be sub MOA accurate since the targets are large, and relatively close up.
wink.gif