• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Break on my AR?

natesguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Missouri
I'm thinking about putting a muzzle break on my stock AR-10T. I'm concerned about this affecting my accuracy.
What's everyones thoughts on this?

Re: Muzzle Break on my AR?

It probably will affect accuracy, but for the better. You'll end up shooting better because of the reduced flinch reflex. You may have to re-try your different loads because you're changing the harmonics of your barrel, but all in all a brake is not a bad thing IMO.

I've had barrel makers tell me that they won't install a brake on a barrel because it reduces accuracy.

My AR15s shoot 5/8" at 200 yards with brakes on them, and my Remington 700, in .308 will shoot 1/2" at 200 yards.

Even if the rifles are capable of better accuracy, I doubt that I am!

my accuracy did not increase or degrade with my muzzle brake. It does help with muzzle rize and recoil management.

I went from an A2 to a Gemtech bi-lock when I got my G5 and then to a PWS bi-lock FSC and notice no change in accuracy out to 300. The brake does help with recoil and muzzle rise which is nice when you're shooting off the bench being "tactical".

I wondered this myself, 223 AR15. group near the center is with A2 flash hider

Other group is without, not much in accuracy difference but the group did shift.
15673targ01.JPG

For the most part anyone that has a bad muzzle break experience it was because the break was installed with to small of a ID. I put as large of ID thread break i can and still have +.075" a side wall to mate up to the barrel. If you worried about it alot you can have them mill a "nut" on the end of the break and use a torque wrench to adjust the harmonics of the barrel a tiny bit. It does make a difference. I use 55 lbs on my large match guns.