• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle break.

Face

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
Will carbon build up on a muzzle break affect accuracy? If so how often and how do you clean them?

Yeah I wet tumble brass and do not have an ultrasonic cleaner. Its pain in butt trying to scrub with brush.

Reactions: Sheldon N
Yeah I wet tumble brass and do not have an ultrasonic cleaner. Its pain in butt trying to scrub with brush.

Generally I've not seen adverse effects on accuracy for a muzzle brake with carbon buildup, provided that you're not actually letting it build up to the point where the carbon is interfering with the bullet path.

I've let the Area 419 brake on my 223 trainer go so long (thousands of rounds) that it built up to where what had been a backwards v-blast brake turned into a flat/square port brake, lol. The recommended method for cleaning per Area 419 is to soak the entire brake overnight in Boretech C4 carbon remover, then pick away at the carbon with a small screwdriver, then repeat until it's all gone.

Another thing I've tried that was cheap and worked pretty well was to mix a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar and soak the brake in that. It attacks the carbon even more aggressively than Boretech C4. The leftover sludge can be toxic (lead acetate), though there isn't much lead in the carbon buildup compared to something like a rimfire can. Just don't get it on your hands or bare skin. I was able to clean my severely fouled brakes in about 3 cycles of soak/scrape over an 18 hour period.

Most aggressive is soaking in CLR, though that will harm finish on a nitrided brake and will dull the finish on a stainless brake. It sure attacks carbon though.

Reactions: pga43
Generally I've not seen adverse effects on accuracy for a muzzle brake with carbon buildup, provided that you're not actually letting it build up to the point where the carbon is interfering with the bullet path.

I've let the Area 419 brake on my 223 trainer go so long (thousands of rounds) that it built up to where what had been a backwards v-blast brake turned into a flat/square port brake, lol. The recommended method for cleaning per Area 419 is to soak the entire brake overnight in Boretech C4 carbon remover, then pick away at the carbon with a small screwdriver, then repeat until it's all gone.

Another thing I've tried that was cheap and worked pretty well was to mix a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar and soak the brake in that. It attacks the carbon even more aggressively than Boretech C4. The leftover sludge can be toxic (lead acetate), though there isn't much lead in the carbon buildup compared to something like a rimfire can. Just don't get it on your hands or bare skin. I was able to clean my severely fouled brakes in about 3 cycles of soak/scrape over an 18 hour period.

Most aggressive is soaking in CLR, though that will harm finish on a nitrided brake and will dull the finish on a stainless brake. It sure attacks carbon though.

Do you think the peroxide and vinegar was close to the boretech?

I learned accidentally that by wiping Breakfree CLP on the brake right after use it removes carbon and helps it keep from buildup so that I rarely have to use the brass brush any more.
I'll have to check into that. Thanks

Do you think the peroxide and vinegar was close to the boretech?

I had a harder time with Boretech C4, did a couple cycles but never got fully clean. Would have required several more soak/scrape cycles I think. The peroxide/vinegar attacked it a lot more aggressively.

I'll second the suggestion of lubing/cleaning the brake with Breakfree CLP. I clean mine after every range session by wiping it down liberally with Breakfree and it is clear of any buildup and the days residue wipes right off. Stuff (Carbon and such) doesn't seem to want to stick to a surface treated repeatedly with Breakfree.

VooDoo

Muzzle brakes can cause more carbon build up on the crown of your barrel. And if you don't periodically remove the brake and clean the carbon off the crown you will have accuracy problems.

Reactions: Alan101
Muzzle brakes can cause more carbon build up on the crown of your barrel. And if you don't periodically remove the brake and clean the carbon off the crown you will have accuracy problems.
I run the area 419. I need to take the adapter off and check for build up. I soaked break in peroxide and vinegar. Worked very well.