• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle breaks, crowns, accuracy, and whatnot...

westford86

Minuteman
Aug 3, 2010
Anchorage, AK
I couldn't think of a decent title to describe the question I'm asking, sorry...

About a month ago, I discovered an imperfection on the crown of Krieger barrel. I sent it back to them, they evaluated it, and re-crowned it; but when they re-crowned it they didn't push back the shoulder. So now the total length of threads is about .052" shorter than standard. I am/was planning on using a Surefire MB556K, but I'm now concerned that the shorter threads will effect the performance. The Surefire break has a baffle .618" in, which on a barrel with standard length threads and a crush washer, would sit around a tenth off the crown. Because the threads on my Krieger are shorter than normal, I'd now be looking at a larger gap. Is this something I should be concerned about? My main fear is that excessive carbon will build up in the enlarged gap over time and degrade accuracy, or is that idea nonsense?

Basically, I'm just looking for any insight into my situation here. Do you see a problem with mating the components I have? Am I good to go? What would you do?

Also, what is generally regarded as the best muzzle device when accuracy is the priority. And I already know no muzzle device is the best option, but that's not what I'm looking for...

The Krieger
IMG_5229.jpg

The threads on my Centurion arms barrel for comparison
IMG_5231.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

The depth of Surefire break to where the baffle starts
IMG_5232.jpg

IMG_5240.jpg

And a crush washer
IMG_5244.jpg

The little bit of difference in the gap isnt gonna matter one bit on the accuracy. To moun the brake properly you dont want a crush washer or shims or anything at the shoulder. Take it to a smith and have him cut the shoulder back to time the brake correctly.

The little bit of difference in the gap isnt gonna matter one bit on the accuracy. To moun the brake properly you dont want a crush washer or shims or anything at the shoulder. Take it to a smith and have him cut the shoulder back to time the brake correctly.

So otherwise it's ok if carbon builds up between the crown and the baffle in the break? I guess It's an inherent issue with any weapon that had a muzzle device, you can't get to the crow to clean it...

So otherwise it's ok if carbon builds up between the crown and the baffle in the break? I guess It's an inherent issue with any weapon that had a muzzle device, you can't get to the crow to clean it...

normal... even your longer thread will do it... look at any AR

many comp, like JP, dont have that 1st tiny hole in the break, its punched out to the 1st true baffle