• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Breaks what are you using and what is you barrel contour?

nfngun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2011
NY
So what muzzle brakes are the kids using these days? I'm looking at M24 contour and up possibly a #10. What diameter is the average Brake or Compensator made for?

I make my own so tube size does not matter. Most any smith can build anything you want, but if your limited to plug an play it cuts the field way down. The nice thing about making your own, the correct exit holes size can be bored to your liking, if the muzzle is threaded properly. My exits are only 0.010 total over bullet size(0.005 both ways) which adds to the performance real quick.

Reactions: kortik
One of my guns has an APA Little Bastard but I hate the concussion from it honestly. What I've been using for awhile is an Insite Arms Heathen, which I much prefer and I don't need a wrench to do the self indexing. Hand tight keeps it on so well that I never have to check it. The first baffle is 90 degrees and the other two are angled, so there's a lot less concussion off to the sides for people I'm with. My barrel contour on my steel barrel is a Bartlein Sendero contour and on my CF barrel is a Proof Sendero contour.

That said, I'll be using the Heathen only as long as it takes for my TBAC Ultra-9 to arrive (which could be any day now).

Reactions: kthomas
Not to sound like a smartass, but the kids are using suppressors these days. They do an outstanding job taming recoil. I use cans on big 338 magnums, and I notice an obvious lengthening of the recoil impulse which makes them much easier to shoot. In my experience comparing brakes vs. cans, brakes result in less recoil energy, but cans result in less recoil velocity.

Reactions: Jbova and MTETM
Insite Heathen here as well... mostly because they built my rifle as well haha.

They make the Heathen in many different threads, diameters and calibers. Just pick the one that matches your barrel profile and screw it on.

JEC brake and the M24 contour. The contour doesn’t match up perfectly but I stopped noticing after a while. The brake works great.

I'm working on two builds right now. One has a Sendero profile, the other a Shilen 7HV. Both have brakes that are similar to the JP brake.
20180516_115433_resized.jpg

LOL I can appreciate a little smartass comedy. Cans are a no go in my state so they are off the table.

Not to sound like a smartass, but the kids are using suppressors these days. They do an outstanding job taming recoil. I use cans on big 338 magnums, and I notice an obvious lengthening of the recoil impulse which makes them much easier to shoot. In my experience comparing brakes vs. cans, brakes result in less recoil energy, but cans result in less recoil velocity.

I love the JP brakes....especially when blended.

I tried a Lil Bastard and an Area 419 Hellfire on 2 different barrels and had my groups open up. They were torqued on properly. Took off, shot a few groups with no brake, reinstalled brake and groups opened back up.

I have that brake on a JP built .223 that is blended and also on a 6.5CM Hawk Hill M24/40 contour. I installed that one myself with a JP Jam Nut and experienced a slight shift in POI but groups stayed tight.

Also, getting at the crown with Q-tips to clean off the carbon deposits is easy with the JP brake.....not so much with the other 2.

thumbnailll.jpg

Reactions: winniedonkey
Im running a YHM muzzle brake on my 260 so my can will attach to it or I can run no can. either way im covered.

Been running a Patriot Valley Jet Blast brake on my 6mm for a while now. Perfection!
Ran his Mad Scientist on my 6.5mm before that. Great, great brakes!
Medium Palma contours.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Two Area 419 Hellfire brakes and a Sidewinder. Awesome machining and recoil reduction with no back blast. Rem Sendero, Proof Sendero, and a heavy palma.

My 338 nudges with the brake, but stings with the can. Other than that, I do enjoy using a can much more than a brake on every other caliber

The hole in the brake is oversized for a reason (carbon build up). I would not want the hole any too small. I run mostly PVA jetblast and PVA mad scientist and they work excellent. The size of the hole seems to have little effect on recoil taming. Muzzle brakes are not Women a loose hole is ok in my opinion. ?

The size of the hole seems to have little effect on recoil taming.
That has not been my experience as I have built them with 0.005 all around an started opening them up to see what would happen. As bullet exit hole size increased recoil started increasing as well. I find the opposite true with discharge area. Most plug an play brakes have large exit holes to insure the brake mfg a measure of safety if the tube is threaded off bore ctr line.

Reactions: kortik
I using an Area 419 Hellfire on my Savage 10-FCP in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 24" heavy fluted barrel. I love it - reduces recoil down to roughly = to a .5.56 AR. I have not noticed any back blast but removed it at the range I shoot at because it *does* make Range Mates mad as hell. Apparently it throws all the concussion sideways and the extra recoil reduction is not worth the venom spewed at me.

I'd run a suppressor in a minute but it's not legal here.

VooDoo

Pva jet blast and mad scientist, area 419 sidewinder. I prefer the jet blast Of the three.

For me I seemed to stay on target better with the jet blast. Felt Recoil reduction was probably a wash between the three but for some reason I noticed less movement with the jet blast. Both the sidewinder and the jet blast sweep the muzzle blast towards the shooter but I don’t feel as much of the effects with the jetblast. Shooters next to me would get hit with muzzle blast pretty hard with either one. The mad scientist was the best of the three in that regard with the 90deg ports.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Have used the APA LB, the stock one from my Tac A1 and the Area419. I ended up keeping the 419, from the three I stay on target better with the 419.

The Area 419 Hellfire is very nicely priced, very well made and finished, and the timing and mounting or removal is a snap. It's pretty hard to beat if it works for ya. No crush washers or playing with stuff to get it timed.

VooDoo

Area 419 24” heavy Palma....I’ve shot several brakes the area 419 is the best in all aspects my second choice would be the JP recoil elemanator...ugly but extremely effective.

Meh...

I removed my Area 419 Hellfire to appease my rifle club/range mates *but* after 2 range sessions that were OK but not so hot I have reinstalled it this evening. Next range session (live fire) is in a few weeks. I'll report back. Basically my group size almost doubled at 200 yards without the brake and I have reinstalled it to see if they shrink back down.

Recoil is not earth shattering but it definitely affects spotting hits on target. I want my brake back.

VooDoo

I’m using a kahntrol hexmod brake on my Remington 700 300wm I love it I feel zero concussion and air. I’m using a #4 bartein barrel.

Muzzle breaks and more makes some excellent brakes that are second to none in recoil reduction. He will custom bore them for your cartridge before he sends them out. They do have to be timed and turned down to match barrel diameter, but any Smith can do this easily when the barrel is threaded and it makes for a seamless look.

Reactions: Creedmor
Thanks Gents ... I decided to go with the Heathen to keep more metal at the crown they come in 3/4-24 threads. I'm hoping the description of less muzzle blast on shooter is accurate also

I'm currently running a prototype MDT 5/8"-24 3 port brake (available soon) and the thing works great! If you like the recoil reduction of the APA or Heathen, but don't feel like paying that much or getting that concussion, check out the MDT :D

Reactions: b6graham
I'm currently running a prototype MDT 5/8"-24 3 port brake (available soon) and the thing works great! If you like the recoil reduction of the APA or Heathen, but don't feel like paying that much or getting that concussion, check out the MDT :D
No teaser pics?

Reactions: MDT_Josh
No teaser pics?
No close up's yet, but here are two photo's from the recent JC Steel High Mountain Shootout PRS match. Notice in the second photo that the blast (indicated by the dust) is not reflected back at the shooter, but rather angled to each side. Also, it's on a Bartlien #6 contour (0.875" at the muzzle) and it fits great!

DSC_0353_1.JPG

DSC_0639_1.JPG

I’m shooting a 24” M40 contour w/ a Surefire SFMB & a Surefire 7.62 RC2 can. I really dig the muzzle brake as it does it’s job well. The ports aren’t angled back so no blowback on the shooter. That’s a big plus in my opinion.

I haven’t had the can too long so I can’t give y’all an accurate range report just yet. It’s worth noting that I’ve been pleased w/ it’s performance in the limited time I’ve had it.

I’ve used other muzzle brakes (Area 419, APA, etc) that work really well. As long as it’s nocking down the recoil & allowing you to spot your impacts you’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Im really liking Precision Armaments stuff. I have 2 M4-72's, one on my Ar-15 and the other on my AR-10 in .308. They are screamers but the muzzle doesnt move, and almost 0 recoil but both are gas guns so there wasnt much to begin with. I just bought a new M-41 for my 300 WM its supposed to be here today, so we will see.

I like the ones I have from Muzzle Breaks and More, great recoil reduction, but do have a substantial blast back to the shooter. I just put a 3 port self timing break from Ryan Pierce on my muzzle loader, did a good job on recoil and with very little blast back at me that I could tell. And the muzz was pushing 305 grainers at just under 3100 fps

I've been using a pva shockwave on a 300 win mag that I really like. Concussion isn't terrible and recoil reduction is very good. It was between that and the area 419 sidewinder, but the cost of the pva swayed me.

I've used Area 419, PVA Mad Scientist and APA but IMHO the BFF muzzle brake from Brad Precision Rifle Systems is excellent for recoil reduction and THE BEST for staying on target with almost no muzzle rise because of the 12 o'clock ports. It is tool less self timing, you can get it in three or four ports and three different outside diameters for just $120.
20180502_161105.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Muriner
Wow, I didnt know about this one. How would you compare the recoil reduction between the area 419 and this one? How about the back blast between the two?