• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Crown Damaged or Dirty on Bergara HMR?

JustPractical

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2023
East Coast of United States
Hello all! I'm new to sniperhide (and long range shooting) - looking forward to learning and eventually contributing. I picked up a used Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. It appeared to me that the muzzle brake/compensator was on crooked and upside down (ports facing down instead of up). I took it off (appeared to be held on with Locktite) and cleaned it up and put it on how I believed it was supposed to go (top ports up and side ports level left and right).

My questions:
1) Am I correct with the muzzle placement (ignore the steel color of the shims. It is what I had around - I tried to blue them but they must be stainless)?
2) Looking for opinions on the barrel crown. Pics are after a soaking and brass brush cleaning. I was spooked to get more aggresive; I'm not sure if it is damage or dirt. Ignore the fuzzies - give it wipe with paper towel before pic.

Any opinions or advice are greatly appreciated.

2023-02-24 19.46.22.jpg2023-02-24 19.47.59.jpg2023-02-24 19.48.01.jpg2023-02-24 19.48.07.jpgmuzzle brake.jpg

Last edited:
That’s carbon build up. Put some gun brite polish on a large patch. Like 50 cal size cleaning patch and start rubbing with your thumb. You’ll need a decent amount of patches and elbow grease to get that clean. If you clean each time by removing the brake it becomes much easier vs leaving it go which is what happened here

You’ll likely not get it completely clean before you give up 😁

Brake looks fine

Reactions: trob
That’s carbon build up. Put some gun brite polish on a large patch. Like 50 cal size cleaning patch and start rubbing with your thumb. You’ll need a decent amount of patches and elbow grease to get that clean. If you clean each time by removing the brake it becomes much easier vs leaving it go which is what happened here

You’ll likely not get it completely clean before you give up 😁
You have accurately assessed my will and determination regarding cleaning issues :giggle:. That's great news though - I assumed it was damage. I have about a month before I can get to a decent range, so I have time to kill. You think hitting it with a small buffing wheel on a dremel would help/hinder (did I mention I'm lazy?)

You have accurately assessed my will and determination regarding cleaning issues :giggle:. That's great news though - I assumed it was damage. I have about a month before I can get to a dent rage, so I have time to kill. You think hitting it with a small buffing wheel on a dremel would help/hinder (did I mention I'm lazy?)
I use the polish and the patch. But mine don’t get nearly this bad. It becomes a step I do while waiting for my bore tech eliminator to do its job.

I would not take a dremel to it. A plastic pick may work after soaking it a bit. I wouldn’t use a metal pick.

You don’t want to damage your crown

Soak 10 min in CLR. Brush or gently scrape off. Clean off CLR when done cleaning.
Pics are after a 1 hour soak in CLR (I use ed's red for the easy stuff and CLR for real dirt.). No harm in soaking it more though. I'll try an overnight and then try a plastic pick as hafejd30 suggests. I thought I was going to see suggestions like "It's damaged...face it off in a lathe". This is way better news.

Pics are after a 1 hour soak in CLR (I use ed's red for the easy stuff and CLR for real dirt.). No harm in soaking it more though. I'll try an overnight and then try a plastic pick as hafejd30 suggests. I thought I was going to see suggestions like "It's damaged...face it off in a lathe". This is way better news.
If the clr doesn’t do it a plastic pick won’t work at all. The polish will but takes time. Like trying to remove jb weld

I’m sure someone will suggest a more practical and aggressive way to approach this. So let some others chime in before trying anything. Just don’t take a dremel or file or anything like that to it

If the clr doesn’t do it a plastic pick won’t work at all. The polish will but takes time. Like trying to remove jb weld

I’m sure someone will suggest a more practical and aggressive way to approach this. So let some others chime in before trying anything. Just don’t take a dremel or file or anything like that to it
If I went with a dremel, it was going to be with a polishing pad (but I'd rather go gentle). Could always go with a battery terminal cleaner :oops:

Bore tech C4 cleaner is designed for carbon deposits- not calcium, lime, and rust. Just some food for thought.

If I went with a dremel, it was going to be with a polishing pad (but I'd rather go gentle). Could always go with a battery terminal cleaner :oops:
I wouldn't do shit to that muzzle until I shot the rifle and saw what it does.

But what do I know?

Sorry, that's a mistype - I meant CLP (like Breakfee CLP). Isofahunter - did you mean CLP or CLR (like the stuff you use to clean a shower)?
CLR. I have an old vitamin bottle that barrel fits in. Put just enough CLR in bottle to cover the carbon. Your case not much. Stand rifle barrel down inside bottle. Soak 10 mins and brush/scrape carbon. Make sure post CLR use you remove CLR. I wipe outside and patch barrel a couple times. I have found it to work great,

I wouldn't do shit to that muzzle until I shot the rifle and saw what it does.

But what do I know?
Yep. Those of us who have "permanently" installed brakes (i.e. TBAC brakes for suppressor mounts, etc) never see or worry about that area for the life of the barrel. It doesn't affect accuracy.

I'm too curious for my own good - gotta try the CLR. I'll update here how it goes. Barrel is steel and finished - no plans to leave it soaking too long (just the tip, and only for a minute...)

As for accuracy, the gun is probably way more accurate than me. The furthest I have shot is 200 yards. I found a range that goes to 600 yards, and that's what prompted the purchase. Maybe I should leave the muzzle be, so I have something to blame for crap groups.

I'm too curious for my own good - gotta try the CLR. I'll update here how it goes. Barrel is steel and finished - no plans to leave it soaking too long (just the tip, and only for a minute...)

As for accuracy, the gun is probably way more accurate than me. The furthest I have shot is 200 yards. I found a range that goes to 600 yards, and that's what prompted the purchase. Maybe I should leave the muzzle be, so I have something to blame for crap groups.
Clean it if it bugs you. If you wanted to be experiment-minded, you could shoot it before and after cleaning to see if it makes any difference. Don't worry about needing something to blame for crap groups - there's always plenty of other things available for that.