• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle device to rocksett or 33ms?

Rocksett or 33ms for muzzle installation at 18-19 ft lbs ?

• Rocksett

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • 33ms

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

URGILOVERR

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2023
USA
After much research about muzzle devices and torque spec I have come to the realization that torquing down a muzzle device past 15-20 starts to constrict the barrel. I would like to install a dead air 3 prong (I’m not using a can just like how it doesn’t ring) torque spec from dead air is 35ft lbs I don’t wanna go anywhere near that. I’m thinking 18-19ft lbs should I use rocksett or 33 ms? Will be doing some high volume shooting and a little bit of precision work.

I use red Loctite on the muzzle threads when installing suppressor mounts.

Gotta say that if I'm doing "high volume shooting" on a particular rifle, then concerns about things like muzzle construction tend to be lower on my list of priorities than keeping the muzzle device tight. My recommendation would be to lean on that wrench just a bit more.

I have never torqued a muzzle device to less than 35ftlbs, and have never used thread locker on one, and have never had one come loose over many thousands of rounds. I also take them off periodically to clean behind them.

I don't think a slight constriction at the muzzle end is nessasarly a bad thing. Expansion of the bore at the muzzle end other the other hand.....

Reactions: Huskydriver
I have never torqued a muzzle device to less than 35ftlbs, and have never used thread locker on one, and have never had one come loose over many thousands of rounds. I also take them off periodically to clean behind them.

I don't think a slight constriction at the muzzle end is nessasarly a bad thing. Expansion of the bore at the muzzle end other the other hand.....

Reactions: carbonbased
Okay, there’s a difference. Now show me the impact that has downrange?
One of you engineer types get on that test STAT! Because I’ll eff it up, design the wrong test, test the wrong design, write down the wrong results, pass out drunk under the range benches…

But an idiot like myself thinks that it should be somewhat straightforward to test? For someone capable?

Last edited:
Fixed that for you.
Fr
Okay, there’s a difference. Now show me the impact that has downrange?

If I heard that right, the gentleman in the video said .001” bore constriction at the muzzle for 1/2” threads at 30lbs.
shooting though a constricted barrel cannot be good for it hit up ar15 tech tips for his testing, muzzle device torque absolutely has an effect on MOA

From what Ive learned, if you plan on sticking with one can/ muzzle device for that rifle, rocksett or red loctite and torque to spec. If your going to swap cans/ muzzle devices out often, just torque to spec with no thread locker.