• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Jump?

Josh Smith

Mosin Fan
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Wabash IN
smith-sights.com
Hello,

I've been playing with different types of rests for use with my heavy barreled Savage .22.

Even with a bipod and the heavy barrel, I still get a bit of jump, I would say about 1/4" to 1/2" at 50 yards.

I'd like to eliminate this.

The way I shoot is to let the front support (sandbag, bipod, etc) do the front supporting and use either a sock, fist or nothing in the rear.

Any which way, it jumps a bit.

I'm not a fan of porting or compensating.

I've thought about piling sandbags onto the front, but am trying to figure out how to do this without touching the barrel.

I could use help from benchrest shooters here.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Re: Muzzle Jump?

Ditto on the on-line training.

One of the things you learn is to use a bipod and put forward preassure on it, in a proper manner to reduce muzzle movement.

recoil drives a rifle straight back- there is no "up".It's the way you are not properly behind it.
+3 on the online training....

Josh, what kind of ammo are you using?

I think if you're using a hyper velocity ammo it would be possible to get some muzzle movement, and perhaps with even some of the high velocity stuff that is in the neighborhood of 1280 fps. However, a half inch seems rather much IMHO.

Are you sure this isn't ammo related?

In my Savage MK II-FVT I use Subsonic and Standard Velocity ammo. I can't say as I've ever noticed any muzzle jump.

when not set up with proper NPA even the small recoil of the .22 will make the cross-hairs 'jump' off of the poa. (for me it is up and to the right) Adjusting your position and obtaining a good solid npa position eliminates this.
I can even see the cross-hairs jump when dry-firing a centerfire if a solid npa position is not employed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Kabong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when not set up with proper NPA even the small recoil of the .22 will make the cross-hairs 'jump' off of the poa. (for me it is up and to the right) Adjusting your position and obtaining a good solid npa position eliminates this.
I can even see the cross-hairs jump when dry-firing a centerfire if a solid npa position is not employed. </div></div>

THIS!!!!!

Thank you. This is what I've been trying to get at.

Here's the deal: I want a cone in which I can be accurate - say 15 degrees on either side. I have no problem holding at NPoA when set up in controlled conditions - but if a squirrel were to go running and I should need to shift out of NPoA, well, I tend to shoot up and right a bit. I do not like this at all.

Maybe I'm trying to achieve something that cannot be done. But I'd like to think that, with work, I can at least improve upon it.

In other words, I need to be able to take a shot from a less-than-optimum body position if I don't have the time or room to move to NPoA.

Thanks!

Josh <><

Then you might not want help from the bench-resters.
They often employ a 'free recoil' technique. Which in their case with everything lined-up and bagged-in works o.k.

But for the situation you describe, i.e. a shot using an improvised hunting position, I would suggest a much firmer purchase, or grip on the stock to shoulder interface. What I mean is pull the thing in nice and tight like you are about to touch one off in a large caliber centerfire. Use a sling if you can to get some isometric tension. That should steady things up considerably.

When shooting such a light recoiler, sometimes the rifle isn't positioned as firmly as it should be.