• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing muzzle thread

wvlapua

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2012
Morgantown, WV
What thread size would you recommend on a 7mm barrel, .900 at the muzzle? For a brake.

Last edited:
I would just run 5/8x24 - bein' a standard .30 cal thread pitch it opens up your options to factory made brakes and even standard 30 cal suppressors......

I did my REM 700 7mm mag 5/8x24, worked out well, as is easy to find 30cal brakes in that threading. Now I just have to throw the new stainless barrel I got for it in the lathe and do it.

I would recommend the Troy Medieval muzzle brake. I rebuilt a friend's stainless Mod. 70 in 30-06, he was not happy at all with the accuracy before, said it only shot 4" groups at 100 yds. And this guy isnt a crappy shot either, he's actually an Apache pilot. I took one look and knew why the poor accuracy, the crown was toast. I shortened the barrel 2", re-crowned it, threaded it 5/8x24, installed a Troy Medieval muzzle brake, blasted it with aluminum oxide media and duracoated it matte black. I gave it back to him the next shift I worked with him, he went home that night and shot it. Not only did he say the recoil was less and it looks kick-ass, but it's now a "one hole shooter" @ 100 yds. Needless to say, my 7 mag now wears one and loves it.