• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Threading - What are you guys paying?

Arc Light

Sheeple Herder
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Mountainside
    I recently got my first suppressor and now don't want to shoot without one :)

I have several rifles that would need muzzle threading (5/8" & 1/2") and contacted several gunsmiths. The prices seem to be all over the place. The cheapest I've found is $60 (says they are "precision cut on CNC"). The highest so far is $170. I don't mind paying for quality, but don't want to overpay unnecessarily. What kind of prices are you guys paying?

I recently got my first suppressor and now don't want to shoot without one :)

I have several rifles that would need muzzle threading (5/8" & 1/2") and contacted several gunsmiths. The prices seem to be all over the place. The cheapest I've found is $60 (says they are "precision cut on CNC"). The highest so far is $170. I don't mind paying for quality, but don't want to overpay unnecessarily. What kind of prices are you guys paying?
    75 to 150 is about the going rate it depends where are you are. Especially for a suppressor concentricity is important don’t go cheap.

send them to a competent gun smith like Long Rifles Inc or Area 419. pay whatever it cost to not have someone fuck up your guns.
    Yep, understood. Already contacted LRI. Thing is, with 4 rifles needing threading I was hoping to avoid shipping to and from. But will do so if I can't find someone I trust locally.

Reactions: 338dude
    $100 flawless

I used Magnaport in MI, and highly recommend them.
    The thread might be more useful if you put in your location since you do not want to ship. This was you can get local recommendations. Pay for a competent gunsmith, I had one done wrong and damaged my can.

• Sad
    It'd also help if you said what rifles you're wanting to thread. Not all rifles are equal, and some are a whole lot more work than others. Got a nice little lever action you want threaded? That's a bit different than something like a long barreled bolt action, or an AK or HK G3/91; obviously you should expect to pay different prices for different jobs.

Here are a couple questions to help avoid shabby quality.......especially the cheaper ones.

- how do you align from the bore?
    - what class of fit do you cut to?
    - how do you check your threads? Female gage? Thread pitch mic? Etc?
    - do you cut a relief and a lead chamfer?
    - do you charge for rifle disassembly/reassembly?

Just a few tips from seeing too many machining abortions over the years.

Don't be surprised at the higher cost options. A good builder with shelves full of custom work is going to have a hard time stopping to battle a glued-on overtorqued rem700 for a fraction of their normal earnings.

Ern

around $100-$125 here in MA the last time I asked around.

Last time I had threads cut it was $70. As always, ymmv. Do your homework and find a reputable smith.

My smith typically charges $100-$125, but because I'm an old customer, and he previously built most of the rifles that I'm now getting threaded, he only charges me $75 each. He single-point threads on a lathe, bore-centric runout.