• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Muzzle threads

CowboyBart

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2007
North West WY
My Forbes Rifle in 30-06 is beating me up! The light rifle with a stoutly loaded 180gr is just a bit too much to call "fun" to shoot. I want to put a brake on it. The OD is .610". Does 1/2-28 make the barrel too thin for a high pressure 30 cal? Will I have enough shoulder if I go 9/16-24?

You can do a 1/2×28, I recommend the APA micro bastard "Answer" brake. They do a 1/2×28 .30cal. one. The answer brake is also tunable, it's my go to for light rifles.

talks about wall thickness.

.30 cal with 1/2" threads leaves minimal barrel wall thickness.
I've done it - but it's not optimal and to be avoided if possible IMO.

There is definitely not enough shoulder for suppressor alignment using 9/16"- but for brake only I would go 9/16" instead of 1/2" to get better barrel wall thickness, and use Rocksett to assure the brake retains alignment with minimal torque against the skinny shoulder.

As mentioned you could use custom brake with an internal torque shoulder to index off the muzzle, but even a skinny .025 shoulder is enough to get a brake aligned in my own experience.

I put a Witt machine bolt on, on a Tikka T3 lite 7mm Rem Mag. Made a huge improvement

Just got my T3x lite back from Thunderbeast after I had them thread the muzzle 9/16 with the muzzle face index like @Zak Smith mentioned. The muzzle on my Tikka measured 0.616". Took a week from when I mailed it to getting it back.