• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Muzzle treading question.

9sigman45

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
King, NC
Does (or should) the barrel of a factory Remington 700 need to be removed from the action for muzzle threading?

I'm considering having a 5R chopped to 20" and threaded for an AAC break, with the thought of getting a can in the near future.
Thanks!

Re: Muzzle treading question.

I have never needed to remove the barrel, but the throat on our lathe isn't large enough to keep the trigger on, so that is all I remove off the action before threading.

some will do it with the action on, but most I think will remove the barrel to do the job. Not many lathes with a spindle bore big enough to clear the recoil lug, so unless they have a short enough headstock to do a 20", then maybe..

Either way, it sure doesn't hurt anything to remove the barrel, and whomever you choose to do the job will likely take care of that part if need be.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never needed to remove the barrel, but the throat on our lathe isn't large enough to keep the trigger on, so that is all I remove off the action before threading. </div></div>

+1. As long as your going 20" or below, or 24" and above. If we were doing a 22" we'd have to pull the barrel.

with my setup, i can thread a muzzle on a barreled action as long as it is 19"+ from the front of the recoil lug. i have a feeling that is shorter than most other people can do without removing the barrel. unfortunately, i don't do customer work.

why not just take the barrel off, and make life easier. not real hard to do...

I do them with the barrel on as I have a generous spindle bore diameter and it is also short so I can do a 16" barrel if needed.

This also prevents a possible lug misalignment issue messing up a bedding job.

A 5R has a tight bore and a properly sized range rod is needed to dial those in.

Cruising through the local funshow yesterday I saw one of those $600 AAC-SD rifles and decided to use it to start my supressor quest. I already had an AAC 18T muzzle break, Badger rings, Badger base, Badger M4 and an extra Jewell trigger in the parts bin. I sent an order to John Wall for an A1-3 so in about 4 months this rig will be ready to go. Now I just got to decide; a trust, or a trip to the Sherrif?