• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report muzzle velocity... not as simple as it has been made to seem..

njaimo

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2014
Alberta
A while back there was a post (and video) about muzzle velocity (MV) not being the same prone versus sitting at the bench. There was also thorough research/measurement done by Bryan at Applied Ballistics and detailed in one of his books, for testing chronographs. I want to throw caution to the wind presenting my take...

I am an engineer, old enough to likely be losing it, but I still recall some Physics, and the concept of "measurements depend on the location of the observer, i.e. where is the measuring device". ...patience, do read on...

To me we use the term MV in conflicting ways, and not all measurements we take are the same. MV means the velocity of the bullet as it leaves the muzzle, that is the velocity of the exiting bullet as referenced to the muzzle. Of all the chronographs I am aware of, only MagnetoSpeed measures this, since it is attached to the barrel at the muzzle -- the observer is sitting on the muzzle, and thus the motion of the muzzle (as in recoil) is irrelevant. All the other chronographs, including LabRadar measure bullet velocity with reference to the ground -- the observer is sitting on a chair next to you. There is a difference.... for LAbRadar measurements, the motion of the barrel/rifle under recoil is taken into account. I suggest below you have both, a MagnetoSpeed and a land referenced chronograph if you want to master consistency in recoil management.

Since MagnetoSpeed measures the bullet speed in relation to the barrel's muzzle, it is quite isolated from how you handle recoil, or how consistent you are in handling recoil -- the rifle could be bolted to a concrete block, or it could be on a soft shoulder that reacts differently every shot, and theoretically the measurements should be the same, all other variables being equal. Thus Magneto's give you the best idea on the consistency of your reloads; since the variation in measured velocity should only be due to your loaded cartridges.

However, bullet trajectory is referenced to land. The rifle in on a spot on the land, target is on land, and at a distance away from you on land, so we need the velocity of the bullet as it leaves the rifle with reference to land -- ideally the rifle would be perfectly bolted to the ground, but that is not the case. This is what the other chronographs measure, and this is where we the shooters can screw things up by managing recoil inconsistently. Not only will the measured LabRadar velocity vary because of powder load/case capacity variations, it will vary because we may not be managing recoil in the exact same way shot after shot and from position to position, as was observed in the post mentioned above.

So by using a Magneto-obtained MV standard deviation (Sd) and then obtaining a LabRadar Sd we can see how good we are at being consistent managing recoil. Theoretically LabRadar Sd will be higher than Magneto Sd., provided your handloads are very consistent. The closer you can get the LabRadar Sd to the Magneto Sd the more consistent you are being at managing recoil, and the more trustworthy your ballistic solution will be. The more consistent the more trust we can put into the LabRadar-measured MV that we input to our ballistic calculator.

I do not know what the measurement error is for either the Magneto or LabRadar, and it would be good to know, as this error will be reflected in the respective Sd's.

...just some thoughts... any comments ?

-njaimo

Way too much worry about a simple process. A few years back we tested a Magnetospeed against a Oehler 35P set up at 15 feet away. All velocities from almost 20 rifles in the class were within 9fps with the Oehler being a little slower which we figured was because it was 15 feet away when reading. Shows me there isn't anything to over stress about when getting a velocity. Hook up with your choice of chrono and get your velocity. Plenty more things to worry about in putting that bullet where it needs to be at long range.

I agree with all of that...except...
Lots of us shoot PRS style matches where we are constantly using all sorts of different recoil impulses from shot to shot and stage to stage. We actually have to understand how our rifle behaves with every variable constantly changing rather than practicing for consistency. For us loading into the rifle consistently is only a sometimes good answer.

Yeah, don't be married to a chronograph, instead heed vertical at distance. Those world record holder 600Y and 1000Y benchrest champions rely on ladder testing done at those distances. There is such a thing as low ES that shows larger vertical at distance than what the numbers should convey and visa versa. It has to do with nodes as it pertains to barrel harmonics. Though a harmony of both can exist together too.

Maybe I'm not clear on exactly how a Magnetospeed works, but it seems like the idea is to measure the time it takes for a bullet to travel along the length of the bayonet. Surely that flimsy plastic of that device could easily be flexing under recoil. I mean, we've all seen the YouTube videos (never again, I guess) of various things flexing under the recoil of a shot. Couldn't that bayonet be flexing an altering the straight-line distance between the beginning and end of the measuring track? Having the device strapped on at different angles or different points on the barrel (which is also wiggling around itself) may only exacerbate the issue.

IMO, just my observation, etc. I'm no scientist, nor have I any empirical evidence to back this up. I could be as mistaken as everyone who uses H4350. Heh heh.

You are mistaken. The magnetospeed is very accurate and no issues from recoil.

Good read, good info, some out of the box thinking. I like that, probably the significance of such deviations would be so minor someone like me would never notice a difference. Not saying that it isn't actually there though. You guys make very good points.

I think you guys are overestimating the time duration and propagation of recoil. The bullet of a centerfire rifle is no where near the bayonet of a magneto speed by the time your muzzle moves any meaningful distance. If I’m shooting a bullet with a MV of 2800 fps, that is equal to 33,600 inches per second. Given a magneto speed is only about 6 inches long, it takes a bullet 0.0001786 seconds to totally traverse the blade of the magnetospeed. Aerodynamic drag isn’t slowing down the bullet that much in 6 inches.

Assuming a barrel is stationary at the time of the bullet coming out of the muzzle, it isn’t moving a significant amount 0.0001786 seconds. If your muzzle even moved 0.125" or 1/8" in that time, that would equate to your muzzle moving at about 39 miles per hour or 58 fps. The loads necessary to accelerate the mass of a rifle barrel from zero to 58 fps in only 0.0001786 seconds would be enormous and would have to be applied instantaneously. You aren’t going to see much of anything in 0.0001786 seconds other than the bullet going about 6 inches and very high pressure grass escaping the muzzle.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAYDIRT
...thank you for the comments

...I like my Magneto, and have no other, so no way for me to test. However it woudl be interesting to do so, especially if a test could be done comparing rifle being shot by a human, to the rifle being rigidly held down on an inmovable vise of some sort... (using both types of chronographs...) Maybe someone out there has the means to do so ?

Why? Rifles aren't shot from rigid rests. They are shot by shooters. You are honestly worrying about something that should not be taking any of your brain power when it comes to shooting. Plenty of other things to worry about.

Having had a bunch of different rifles as I mentioned shot simultaneously over both types of chrono there is no difference.

Plus there is the issue of there being no such thing as "rigid". There will be vibrations from shooting and from those vibrations, there will be displacements. They may get really small, but they are still there. By definition, something immovable doesn’t vibrate.

I only read part of it. Seems it is much easier to tell if you are controlling recoil correctly but watching your rifle come straight back and back on target.

I’ve run an Oehler 35 , Labradar and Magnetospeed on the same rifles , at the same
time and got within 5 fps from each device . As long as the number you decide to use
gives you accurate solutions , does it matter ?

Different shooters might get ( slightly ) different velocities too , depending on position
and technique . A buddy I shoot with rarely runs a rear bag , ( old school ..) and usually
shoots 1/4 to 1/2 a minute higher than me consistently . Is it his technique , or is he
getting higher velocities ?

I always thought that recoil management does affect velocity. Simple test for someone with some time and a MagnetoSpeed. Shoot 5 rounds without shouldering the rifle (free recoil) then take 5 more with the rifle butt on an immovable object.
And the winner is.

Reactions: LastShot300
I always thought that recoil management does affect velocity. Simple test for someone with some time and a MagnetoSpeed. Shoot 5 rounds without shouldering the rifle (free recoil) then take 5 more with the rifle butt on an immovable object.
And the winner is.

Frank did a video on this I believe.

And the winner is.

i tried it...i fired my rifle from the bench into a berm only touching the rifle with my firing hand, and also shot it loading my 240lbs into the rifle, as hard as i could...average velocities were basically the same and the individual velocities all fell within the normal ES for that rifle/load, which was 20-25 for 10 shots

Reactions: Rob01
So I am assuming that if there is no velocity change that the bullet has left the barrel before the rifle has moved.

Frank's video on bench vs prone MV is what I was referring to in the OP... I cannot recall what the actual difference was (shoudl watch the video again).
One take-away point is that, as long as one is "consistent" in recol management, and this is accounted for in the ballistic solution via the avg MV, then all should be OK. The key is in the being consistent at recoil management. Variation in recoil management will increase MV SD.

The other take-away is that a "land based' chrono, for lack of a better term, is measuring both recoil namagement and ammo quality consistency. If one wants to only measure ammo quality consistency (as in MV variation resulting only from ammo reloading) then a MagnetoSpeed is the best tool, as it does not account for recoil management MV variations.