• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle velocity Remington 700 SPS Tactical

BruceR

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2011
NE Illinois
I recently used a chronograph to check the muzzle velocity for my SPS Tactical 308 using Federal Match King 168g ammunition. The average velocity at about 10 feet from the muzzle was 2475 fps. This ammunition is rated at 2650 fps and I was wondering if this difference is primarily due to the 20 inch barrel? Has anyone else used a chronograph with this rifle and seen similar results (a roughly 7% difference)? Also, do you think this difference would be comparable when using other types of ammunition having similar weight(mass)?

Re: Muzzle velocity Remington 700 SPS Tactical

Let's see....Federal uses a baseline of a 24" barrel. Then we use 50 fps per inch of barrel. You should be about 200fps slower than the baseline.

Chronographed the same bullet from my 26"/1:12 and they came out at ~ 2670 +/- 10fps.

I shoot the same rifle. My load that I use shoot, that same velocity. It is very acurate with that MV. You will still be above supersonic at 1000yds w/that MV.

Thanks for the replies and the link.

If I have read the Chuck Hawks article correctly, there should be about a 20 fps drop for every inch below 24 inches when using the 308 cartridge. This would account for about 80 fps, what about the other 95 fps (2650-2475)?

Powder. Different powders burn at different rates, some faster some slower. Those estimations are just that.