• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Muzzle Velocity Using a Ballistics Calculator

Ranmaniac

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
TX
This is a method I’ve came up with for calculating the muzzle velocity of a given round and rifle without having a chronograph, using a ballistics calculator and multiple shooting distances at the range. I will also leave a note at the end on how this can be done at a single range but it may not be as accurate.

Requirements

1 – A rifle and shooter that can shoot at least 1 MOA groups, the tighter the better. The scope on the rifle must be able to shoot a good box, i.e. 1 click or adjustment on the scope knobs must equal what they state it to be and it must return to the same alignment if moved back to a previous setting
2 – A range that offers multiple distances, the further spread between distances, the better
3 – A good ballistics calculation tool. There are many out there, via apps for phones, Excel spreadsheets, web sites. It should have a complete variable input capability including weather, elevation, and bullet ballistics. I use “Strelok” for the Android phone.
4 - A calm day, wind wise, is a big plus

1st - Zero your rifle at the shortest distance. I will use 100 yards

My setup and 100 yard zero (It might not be the fanciest but I prefer function over style. Anything more is just showing off... LOL)

DPMS LR-308
Vortex Viper PA - 6.5-20 x 44
Timney Trigger
Winchester Bipod
Wedgey Sandbag sitting on a 2x4 for rear support (Ghetto looking but effective)

Rifle_small.jpg

I put 1 click (1/4 MOA) up in the scope after this and called it good.

Enter the round's manufacturer stated ballistics that you are firing, along with your rifle setup, weather, scope height, and any other inputs that your ballistics calculator has to offer. The more accurate these inputs are, the better this calculation will be. If you are using a hand load, enter the manufacturers ballistic coefficient and enter an estimated muzzle velocity. We will correct it later. Enter the scope Zero at whatever distance you zeroed the rifle.

I entered the stated data for Federal SMK 168 grn BTHP (Which just so happens to be the #1 default round… lol) as BC 0.447, weight 168, and I decreased the default MV of 2650 to 2600 assuming that I would lose a little bit from the gas system of my rifle.

Go to your longest range available. My range offers 600 yards.

Enter in the new distance into your ballistics calculator and adjust your scope to whatever it suggests. Mine suggested 16.5 MOA or 66 clicks of elevation

It was early and pretty calm when I shot the 100 yard group... Between me transporting all my gear to 600 and grabbing a bite for breakfast... This happened...

weather.png

I picked an average and dialed that in for windage but the wind was literally in the middle of random gusts and changing direction so I’d be on target sometimes and high & left others… so I gave up on 600 as I’m trying to calibrate here… not win an extreme conditions competition… rofl…

So I moved it to my next shortest range which was 400 yards and dialed in the suggested correction of 8 MOA or 32 clicks. I adjusted another average for the wind and shot a group…

SMK4001stGroup.jpg

As you can see, the group was a tad high and left. I misjudged the wind just a bit and it was pushing the round a bit but the elevation was consistent and that’s what’s important here. Since the group was high, I can safely assume that the muzzle velocity that I entered was too low. So I called the overall elevation offset 1.5” and then went back into the ballistics calculator and increased the muzzle velocity until the suggested correction was 1.5” lower than the previous correction. Low & behold… The MV for a perfect 1.5” turned out to be 2648 fps… lol… Pretty much as the box says of 2650… go figure…

So now, I put 1 click down (Right at 1” at 400 yards) on the scope and changed my zero to 400 yards in the ballistics calculator. This would put me shooting a ½” high at 400 buts whats a ½” between friends….

With everything all calibrated, you should be able to punch up any distance, and dial in the suggested correction and you should be right on target. I decided to test at 200 yards…. From 400 yards, the ballistics calculator suggests -5.5 MOA or 22 clicks so I dialed that in and headed over to the 200 yard range, and there she blows… Don’t laugh at the group ROFL… Me and the bullet are getting blown all over like crazy and I’m a little shooter fatigued at this point…. I was actually doing 2 different rounds on this day and shooting quite a bit more… I just extracted the info pertinent to this post *excuse*

SMK200MOA.jpg

The alternate method of doing this from a single distance would be to shoot a group at 100 yards. 100 yards because 1 MOA is 1.084" at 100 yards so we can just say 1". Shoot it low on the target, near the bottom. On my setup, a 600 yard shot would require a 15.7 moa correction. Set the calculator for zeroed at 100 yards. then just as above, enter a far distance and adjust the scope accordingly. Shoot another group at the same target, using the same aiming point. The next shot group should come in high. As in my case, the 2nd group should come in at 15.7" high. Measure the actual distance with a ruler and correct the muzzle velocity until the suggested correction matches the measurement. Correct your scope for the newly calculated correction and shoot another group, aiming at the original aiming point. The new group should match the suggested correction.

Re: Muzzle Velocity Using a Ballistics Calculator

you cant backtrack mv's from your dope ,to many variables

scope tracking
range estimation error
temp/ pressure altitude error
bc error
and of course , velocity error

personally i think scope height, angle to target , shit like that have a mimimal effect on dope , unless your on the extreme end of things.

not that what your doing isn't a good guess , its just not accurate or precise.

Hence the disclaimer that you need a good calculator with as many variable inputs as possible. The one I use has inputs for everything you've mentioned and then some.

So how does one account for BC error using a chronograph? this method would actually be more useful for calibrating for that error.

Scope height is vary critical for close shots, less than 100 yards. It becomes less critical the further you go out.

Judging from the accuracy I have seen from this method, it will be within +/- 5 fps.

Field Firing Solutions from Lex Talus has a utility to help calculate MV from Drop...

There is so much data available for a majority of the bullets out there, getting a good starting point and fine tuning it without a chronograph is easy enough. It requires more effort and you definitely have to shoot it at distance to establish a true drop, but once you have that drop data, you can work it backwards with any ballistics program.

JBM is free and using your starting point, like 2650fps for a 308 175gr bullet, you can get damn close then it is just a matter of moving the MV up or down until the data matches your actual drop. One night in front of the computer tweaking you should have solid drop sheet based on this. But once you shot everything at distance the calculator is much less needed, unless you plan on traveling to a location that is far removed from your own.

I'm still a noob myself. But these are my thoughts. I think you can get a pretty good idea of your MV using this method.

A few ideas to make it a tad easier and less error prone. Don't dial in the longer yardage. just shoot it with a big enough target and measure your vertical drop. This should rule out tracking errors and click value errors.

To rule out range estimation shoot on known distance courses or measure the range.

Input the current weather conditions into the ballistic computer to help with those variables.

Remember most chrono's have a 1% error factor.

Cool. Thats' the fist time I've seen someone *actually* do this. I think you'll find, however, that it's a lot of trouble for a rather uncertain result - certainly not +/- 5fps, generally speaking. But I'm impressed it worked as well as it did.

Well, I derived the +/- 5 fps because this is how much correction I could make before it would start to drift too far from the correction I wanted to make.

Well this whole thing was derived from desiring a reason/excuse to shoot more so WIN / WIN !! LOL

"Field Firing Solutions from Lex Talus" ??? And here I was thinking I done thought up some stuff... lol

I think it cant be overstated enough that you have to have actually verified that your scope clicks are what they claim to be, and you have to do this with enough clicks on the scope (like 30 moa) because the click value could be more inconsistent at the end of its internal travel.

If you don't do this AND your scope's clicks are off you will get a muzzle velocity that works for one range, and will be off everywhere else.

All that being said, I like your writeup and think it will work fine and is certainly better than guessing if you dont have access to a chrony.