• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzlebrake Effect on Recoil,Velocity,Accuracy

Rem9671

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2019
How much does a muzzle brake effect velocity,recoil,accuracy?
Can a muzzlebrake be put on a threaded barrel?

No, yes, and yes.
There is a reason most competitors run one. Check out some of the devices from Area 419. They're slick. Yes, you need a threaded barrel.

Reactions: nikonNUT
No real speed difference.
Very noticeable recoil difference.
I don’t see any accuracy penalty.

Clamp on muzzled brakes are available and effective as well.

This is a 7 saum with a Area 419 brake.
recoil is very mild.

it is possible for different muzzle devices to affect harmonics to some extent.
a good brake cuts recoil in half.

Hornady has done extensive research about how they affect the bullets flight path. I forget the article, but it's where their 4dof form factor comes from. They took the average of variables to get their input.

Nothing cooler than watching your own trace. I have an APA little bastard. It gives off some dust signature though. I call it the "fuck your buddy brake".

Reactions: Forcedoutage
I’ve never seen a velocity difference. They definitely kill recoil (I had my 66 year old mom at the range the other day because she was bored and she was ringing steel at 300 yards with a 6.5CM and this is a 120lb woman with osteoporosi).

I have had some affect accuracy though, both good and bad depending on barrel harmonics.

The only negative effect brakes have had for me is POI shifts with heavier brakes.

Reactions: Pbgt
Run nothing but APA’s on my rifles. And they named em correctly because if your beside one, they really are little bastards. But they will kill rifle recoil out.

Reactions: waveslayer
Witt Machine makes clamp on brakes.

They also make a clamp-on adapter that allows you to screw on any normal brake so that you don't need to buy another brake when you move to a threaded barrel.

Howa 1500 308 KRG.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Z and Jscb1b
Nothing cooler than watching your own trace. I have an APA little bastard. It gives off some dust signature though. I call it the "fuck your buddy brake".

It's also the "get grass and dirt in your ammo box" brake. Usually only a problem when I'm single loading and the box is open. It just gets shit everywhere. Still, it's a great brake. I just bought a couple of the new Gen 3s when they had their Black Friday sale - one to replace the Gen 2 on my 6mm and the other for my new 300 PRC build. I have yet to try them, but if the weather holds, I'll be playing with the 6 next weekend.

I had Macs guns in Wy install there NWP on my semi custom (very light) 7mm STW. It was amazing how much it reduced recoil! I have had several rigs with different styles of brakes but this gun was the first that I’ve ever shot before and after installation. I am pro brake for sure! Went from a near impossible gun to shoot, too a pleasure. You can watch deer flop the ground through the scope with ease. Only downside is they are extremely loud, but I keep ear protection handy even when hunting so it’s no big deal to me.

Installed new apa gen 3 also,,rezeroed and shot out to half mile
Really like it,saw all impacts

Get a suppressor.

The worst brake will kill the recoil same as the best can. I've found recoil doesn't cause as much misery as muzzle blast (especially those little bastards, anyone close or under a covered range is downright awful).

It sure is nice to not have things thrown at you for being that asshole nobody wants to shoot with.

Get a suppressor.

The worst brake will kill the recoil same as the best can. I've found recoil doesn't cause as much misery as muzzle blast (especially those little bastards, anyone close or under a covered range is downright awful).

It sure is nice to not have things thrown at you for being that asshole nobody wants to shoot with.

Wow, somebody else that realizes muzzle blast can piss off people at the range. I started a thread a while back asking which brake was the least offensive and was told screw the other guys, they're at a gun range where loud noises and muzzle blast can occur.

As others have said, speed not affected as far as I have noticed. Recoil is reduced, amount is subjective, depends on cartridge, bullet weight and sometimes powder choice if reloading and definitely weight of gun. Lighter gun all else equal, usually more reduction. Accuracy, well if you flinch, recoil is reduced and then you dont flinch as much then probably an improvement. Counter to that is getting your bell rung with micro concussions due to noise increase, which may cause flinch. Other plus that seems to be a top reason is being able to spot your own impacts and make corrections as a reult of reduced recoil.

Of course brake thread pitch must match barrel thread pitch. Optimally, brake bore hole should be slightly oversized to bore diameter. If your barrel is not threaded, make sure you have a competent gunsmith do the work and hopefully it will be concentric. I would also recommend having them cut a target crown if you do not already have one. Several good brakes exist, personally becoming a fan of the self timed ones.

My armalite 50 will full your mouth full of sand if its open....

Ha! rcmigpilot wouldn't approve but I not only use mine for recoil reduction but also to get even with the I have a magnum look at me guys or my favorite mall ninja heroes. Every now and then we would have a group show up and plop down next to the regulars instead of moving down a few benches. They would start piling up brass, we would take a break to just let them shoot their wad and leave. Usually it was burn a box or two and they'd bail. Other times we didn't get lucky. Out came the big tube of encouragement, Lar 50, and we would clear their benches with the brake usually resulting in a earlier than planned departure on their part. I have also discovered brakes are an effective tool on indoor ranges when guy repeatedly shoots near even to the back of his baffle instead of getting personal with the bench. Get the brake just ahead of his baffle and lit it rip a few times. Seems to become a self correcting problem at that point.

Ahh wish we could have big boom sticks, both ranges I shoot at limits shooters to 300WM or 338 LM.

By mall ninjas do you mean the morons that come out with an AR or AK and do mag dumps that barely hit the target stand at 25yd, spray the place with brass and only pic up about 1/4 of it when they leave? Yea we have those here to, unfortunately 50s aren't allowed at the local LEO range, but a simple signal to the camera results in the range deputy coming out to have a very short discussion with them that usually cures the micreant behavior. Amazing what a small weapon can do when it hangs next to a star.

My only reason for wanting a less objectionable brake is at the LEO range we only have 4 tables for the rifle side and they're pretty close together. One of the regulars has a 300WM with a brake that will take your hat off. When I'm at the other range I shoot at I could care less about what's on the muzzle cause we can spread out enough that even a 50 brake wouldn't be too bad (if we could shoot em).

I totally understand. My 270 wsm is obnoxious with the brake on it. I think sometimes more powder burns outside than inside the barrel. It always is funny how the unassuming design is quiet but works and the one that looks awesome is loud as hell and how I wind up questioning how effective it is. I would put my wsm on par with a 9x25 comped race gun. There's no recoil but it will rattle you brain when it goes off. I don't mind people doing mag dumps or leaving brass for me to scrounge, its the rounds going everywhere blowing apart target stands, going gangbanger on target hangers or skipping bullets off the floor. Lol, I'm having flashbacks, It amazes me on some indoor ranges how the baffles between lanes are riddled with holes and the hey what you got there why would anyone want anything other than what I have.